• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Too much rapid charging?

GuV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Two months ago we took ownership of a brand new first generation 44 kw ZS EV. There will be no gen 2 models here until the end of the year at the earliest. So we grabbed this gen 1 on run out for the equivalent of £20,000 driveaway after receivng government rebate/subsidy. The car is used for local running around and we intended to just use the granny charger. But having got the car we took our first look at our local nearby 50kw rapid charger to check charging fees, and general rapid charging procedure should we ever need to urgently rapid charge. It was then we discovered that this rapid charger is free to use! Hence we have been using it exclusively. My question is will constant rapid charging to 80/90% harm the battery? Should we be charging occasionally from the granny charger? This is our first EV, so it's all new to us and we were surprised to discover this free rapid charger, as this is not the norm here.

Eventually the car will tell you to "Please slow charge" as the batteries will become unbalanced. However long you can go before that shows up is anyone's guess. Shouldn't be as bad if you have the latest software updates as they've adjusted the top and bottom end voltages.
If it does tell you to slow charge however, it may take a few to balance it out. But it can be done with either a granny or a 7kw AC charger.

Where in Auckland? I’ll be back over for my usual winter avoiding trip now that Jacinda will let us back in!

I have a 1997 Rav 4 over there I havent seen for 3 years! I could be persuaded to go electric there too. Pleased to say my electricity tariff remained much the same over there, unlike here where it will more than double!

Where in Auckland? I’ll be back over for my usual winter avoiding trip now that Jacinda will let us back in!

I have a 1997 Rav 4 over there I havent seen for 3 years! I could be persuaded to go electric there too. Pleased to say my electricity tariff remained much the same over there, unlike here where it will more than double!
They are scattered around the place Warkworth, Silverdale, Constellation, Hobson St, Newmarket. Get the Vector EV charging app. The free ones can be identified on the app by the fact they have 30 minute time limit.

Great, that will be the charger outside the Plant Barn at Silverdale? It will be time to swap the old Rav, We don’t do massive mileage or should I say kilometerage, but a swap to EV would be nice.

Great, that will be the charger outside the Plant Barn at Silverdale? It will be time to swap the old Rav, We don’t do massive mileage or should I say kilometerage, but a swap to EV would be nice.
Yes outside Plant Barn, we never new it was free until we checked it out in our new ZS EV, it's made ownership even more attractive

Eventually the car will tell you to "Please slow charge" as the batteries will become unbalanced. However long you can go before that shows up is anyone's guess. Shouldn't be as bad if you have the latest software updates as they've adjusted the top and bottom end voltages.
If it does tell you to slow charge however, it may take a few to balance it out. But it can be done with either a granny or a 7kw AC charger.
If you get that message you have left it too long to do a balance charge.

Can you remember the exact wording of the message?
A picture would be even better (y)

It looks like this.
fb_img_1613563523472-jpg.1552

That's interesting.
It says nothing about balance charging at all.
It won't, it's a bit silly but because your slow charging (7kw or less) the BMS will have enough time to passively balance the cells as it charges. On top of the fact it allows it to do a balance when finished.
(on the mk1 the badge will glow steady... or stay lit. I've forgotten which lol, it'll be one whilst charging and the other whilst balancing. Then off when complete).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom