• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Tow bar mystery...

Simon Rogerson

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, does anyone know when what tow bars can be fitted to the zsev?Dealer wants £600, nah not happening..... hope someone can help thanks

Hi Frank

This is for bike rack only towing us not allowed in Europe with th zsev

I have had a dealership confirm that the fitments etc for the petrol zs tow bar are the same on the ev so ordering tow bar kit from PF Jones on ebay. See how we get on!!

Cheers

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Frank

This is for bike rack only towing us not allowed in Europe with th zsev

I have had a dealership confirm that the fitments etc for the petrol zs tow bar are the same on the ev so ordering tow bar kit from PF Jones on ebay. See how we get on!!

Cheers
This directly from the MG website I would definitely be careful fitting one even if it does fit from the petrol version

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200625_144539_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625_144539_com.android.chrome.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 648
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi there,

The ZS has not been tested in the EU for towing like most other EVs however I have an email from my dealer confirming that a bar can be fitted but must NOT be used for towing, this is just for a bike rack. The I.C.E ZS has the same chassis as the EV as it was initially designed to be an ev. Two main dealers verbally confirmed this to me today and that the towbar could in theory be fitted... ?? watch thus space!! Thanks all

Let me know if this works. I currently have to use the bike rack fitted to the towbar on our Range Rover to take the bikes out. Would be great if I could do it with the MG.

Yes, well that's not technically "towing".....more supporting! Yes do let us know how you get on.

Good afternoon all,

Well the plot thickens, ordered the tow bar from PF Jones on Ebay, they took the money and three days later told me sorry out of stock and they do not know when it will be back in!!! OK so next step, contacted Witter who manufacture the bars, "mmm" the man said "these are out of stock I am afraid and no restock date on the system, last time this happened it was 12 months before we had them back in. Chances are that if MG are advertising these on their site for accessories they have got the lot" Another step.. Contacted my dealership, £450.00 for the tow bar, no hang on 24 hours later its £520.00 well cheaper than the MG website they want £599.00. Not looking good then this......... Ahh sorry sir the £599.00 does not include fitting that will be another £450.00, oh and just to let you know we cannot fit the tow bar to your vehicle!! So it would appear I have gone from £218.00 just for the tow bar to £599.00 in a few days. I am now loosing the will to live and still without the capacity to carry our bikes, the roof will be the very last option as the risk for damage to the car is too high for me!! At lease when I had the Renault Zoe this was not an issue!! See picture. The main reason we bought this car was that we could have a tow bar and roof rack for the bikes and camping gear.......... so far very fed up!!!

I will keep you updated if there is anything to update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 20191230_155655.jpg
    20191230_155655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 557
It is a shame, I want a tow bar to simply allow the towing of a glider the short length of an airfield, no electrics required!
I read somewhere, that as it has not been crash tested with a tow bar fitted, then it is not cleared for use. It raises legal questions and at least best case in the need of an insurance claim, any insurer will not pay out.
As for carry bikes, I have used all methods, boot carrier, tow ball mounted and roof rack.
I wouldn't worry about using a roof carrier, its actually very easy and you don't need to mess about with electrics and lighting boards or getting in the boot.
Just put one if those small plastic folding steps in your car so you can properly reach as SUV cars are a bit taller. Works for me.
I do hope though, that we can get tow bars fitted for these kind of purposes.

I have an email from my dealer from September last year when I ordered the car confirming prices for the fitting of a tow bar and that it will not invalidate the warranty!! Thing is we do quite a lot of camping, fishing etc. too so the main reason to buy the ZS was this promise that a tow bar can be fitted. Bikes on the back roof box and fishing gear on the roof bars. Supposed to be simples.......

I’m in the same boat. I wish to tow a small boat trailer around a marina to the slipway. I used to fit a one off specially made tow bar on site fitted via the transit lashing iron bolts. However, I can’t find anywhere on the ZS to do this .

That’s correct Simon however it’s a permanent fixture replacing the rear crash bar behind the bumper cover. Not really a covert temporary fitting that the dealers can remain unaware off.

Yeah I know, my trouble is i cant find anyone who has any stick if the bars. Fitting is easy, biggest job is taking the bumper off and refitting....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-170036_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-170036_Samsung Internet.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 543
  • R51.pdf
    138.8 KB · Views: 262
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom