Tow bar

Mike01Hu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I note that MG says that the MG4 can tow up to 500kg, so I assume that there is a connector to the wiring loom for the trailer electrics. Does anyone know what towbars are available?

I've had a little look on my MG4 - it looks rather complicated! in that on my VW's they have a standard chassis frame (with bolt holes already in place) - however from my glancing look - its a totally differnt system to attach tow bars! - so dont expect a low fitting price!

Normally it fits to the rear crash structure. Are there not suitable points there?

I've had a little look on my MG4 - it looks rather complicated! in that on my VW's they have a standard chassis frame (with bolt holes already in place) - however from my glancing look - its a totally differnt system to attach tow bars! - so dont expect a low fitting price!
Can you post a picture? I am interested in getting a tow bar.

Is an actual towbar viable with a 500kg limit? Here in Australia most cars with this limit are only used for bike racks as we cant buy lightweight trailers. I believe you guys can?

The payload available after our trailer weight doesn't make it worth it, as much as I like having a trailer I cant use it on my ZS EV.

Er et faktisk hengerfeste levedyktig med en grense på 500 kg? Her i Australia brukes de fleste biler med denne grensen kun til sykkelstativ da vi ikke kan kjøpe lette tilhengere. Jeg tror dere kan?

Nyttelasten som er tilgjengelig etter tilhengervekten vår gjør det ikke verdt det, så mye som jeg liker å ha en tilhenger kan jeg ikke bruke den på min ZS EV.
500kg total.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-16-12-56-28-84_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-16-12-56-28-84_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 334
My use is a small trailer that, with its max load, should not exceed that limit. Normally used for garden refuse runs and possible star-party trips with telescopes and camping gear . . . scratch the latter, I'll stick to bed and breakfast here in the UK! 🤣

Is an actual towbar viable with a 500kg limit? Here in Australia most cars with this limit are only used for bike racks as we cant buy lightweight trailers. I believe you guys can?

The payload available after our trailer weight doesn't make it worth it, as much as I like having a trailer I cant use it on my ZS EV.
Most common case in UK is bike rack or light trailer / mini Caravan. Things are smaller over here! 😁

Different chassis I know but the Witter towbar we had fitted to our mk1 ZS simply needed the original bumper bar removing and the Witter version replaced it see photo below..
Hopefully it won't be too much different for the MG4 as we'll be getting one for our bikes once we have the car.

Shameless plug time but I've listed our now removed ZS towbar in the classified section - link below - if anyone's interested...😏

Thread 'ZS EV Mk1 Removable Witter Towbar and Electric Pack For Sale' For Sale - ZS EV Mk1 Removable Witter Towbar and Electric Pack For Sale

IMG_20220719_100028.jpg

Really depends on what you'd want to use the trailer for. My previous car had a similarly low tow rating, I've got an Erde trailer that weighs only about 220kg empty.
Has worked very well for me when I did solar installations back in the day when systems were a bit smaller than now. 15 panels (~200W back then) and an inverter, still well below 500kg all up.

Same trailer was more recently converted to a DIY camper trailer. With rooftop tent and pull-out camp kitchen it comes to about 300kg, leaving 200kg for 'load': camp chairs, table, cooker, gas bottle, food, water, jerry can.

Getting gardening supplies: those box 6x4s they supply for free, filled with mulch, should be below the limit. Filled with sand, you'd have to go separately for each scoop.

Getting home a large screen TV from the Good Guys, or a mattress and shelf from IKEA: easily below the limit.

Lots of stuff you can do, that's why I'll get the tow bar fitted on my new ZS EV once I get the car and the tow bar becomes available here in Australia.

Hi Peter, Perfect! I didn't know you could get trailers that light. Yes definitely worth it with that type of trailer.
Really depends on what you'd want to use the trailer for. My previous car had a similarly low tow rating, I've got an Erde trailer that weighs only about 220kg empty.
Has worked very well for me when I did solar installations back in the day when systems were a bit smaller than now. 15 panels (~200W back then) and an inverter, still well below 500kg all up.

Same trailer was more recently converted to a DIY camper trailer. With rooftop tent and pull-out camp kitchen it comes to about 300kg, leaving 200kg for 'load': camp chairs, table, cooker, gas bottle, food, water, jerry can.

Getting gardening supplies: those box 6x4s they supply for free, filled with mulch, should be below the limit. Filled with sand, you'd have to go separately for each scoop.

Getting home a large screen TV from the Good Guys, or a mattress and shelf from IKEA: easily below the limit.

Lots of stuff you can do, that's why I'll get the tow bar fitted on my new ZS EV once I get the car and the tow bar becomes available here in Australia.

Hi Peter, Perfect! I didn't know you could get trailers that light. Yes definitely worth it with that type of trailer.

Not sure if they have sales agents all over the country, but they still sell in Perth, here's the link to their camper trailers: Camper Trailers Perth | Camping Trailers

And this would be the successor to the one I bought over a decade ago, still only 227kg:

Different chassis I know but the Witter towbar we had fitted to our mk1 ZS simply needed the original bumper bar removing and the Witter version replaced it see photo below..
Hopefully it won't be too much different for the MG4 as we'll be getting one for our bikes once we have the car.

Shameless plug time but I've listed our now removed ZS towbar in the classified section - link below - if anyone's interested...😏

Thread 'ZS EV Mk1 Removable Witter Towbar and Electric Pack For Sale' For Sale - ZS EV Mk1 Removable Witter Towbar and Electric Pack For Sale

View attachment 12074
Thanks for sharing the Pic.

Just out of curiosity I did some Googling to find out whether it's possible to get caravans under the 500kg limit. (I've absolutely zero knowledge in this area!)
This one came back as about the only result I could find (though I don't be paying £20k anytime soon)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back