Trophy vs SE headlights

AndyM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anybody worked out what the difference between the two headlights is other than the indicators?

What exactly does "reflective technology" mean over the SE?

No the SE has indicators in the headlight cluster but they're separate on the Trophy. The spec sheet also adds "Reflective technology" to the trophy.

1664959261988.png

I have the Trophy but haven't seen an SE to compare to.

I believe the SE has projector headlights that aim straight forward, not sure if a single LED bulb or multiple. The Trophy has multiple LED lights that aim up from the bottom of the light unit and hit reflectors to direct the beam ahead.

I can only assume there is better light distribution, without seeing a Trophy beside an SE at night I cannot say for sure. I've not actually driven my Trophy in the dark yet, so I don't even know if the lights are good.

My car has "adaptive headlights" which dim when seeing tail lights or headlights in front of the car. I was hoping "reflecting" was the same thing :unsure:

Alan

I have spoken to my dealer on this & confirmed that it’s essentially the same as Audi matrix headlight system where parts of your main beam can be turned off in an attempt to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers and also give a brighter & more even beam pattern.

I have spoken to my dealer on this & confirmed that it’s essentially the same as Audi matrix headlight system where parts of your main beam can be turned off in an attempt to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers and also give a brighter & more even beam pattern.
Dylan, do you know if it is automatic when set or otherwise? I.e reverts to normal and can detect oncoming or stays permanently set?

Alan

I very much doubt they are matrix headlights. Matrix headlights do not have a manual level adjustment like the MG4 has. Sure they'll be good at automatically dipping on high beam but they won't have matrix technology I don't think, despite what the dealer says.

You'll know if they have Matrix technology as upon start up they'll do a light show with up and down and left to right sweeps.

Last edited:
I'm positive they're not matrix headlights, why would you have high beam assist if they were? Auto dip and back to full beam but not matrix.

They're not similar or essentially the same to Matrix technology. They will just auto dip for oncoming traffic/cars in front. Pretty sure the MG's just dip then go back to high beam again once clear of any traffic. Not even close to Matrix technology.

There is a Chinese video on you tube (MG 4 hot hatch) shows adaptive/matrix LED. On looks also appears adaptive v SE
This is the video I seen also & one the dealer showed me. To be clear, essentially the same I meant that it’s trying to replicate the technology of the matrix technology a lot of people will already be aware of - the Trophy definitely adapts to oncoming traffic by switching off part of the beam to minimise dazzling - which is more than just auto on off dipping seen on the SE model

Did he not say "essentially the same" not the same?

Alan
Hi Alan,

See my response below for clarity. I never said it was the same as the matrix headlights - from what I could take it was more of a comparison of a technology that is more well known.

Hope this is made a bit more clear for you all :)

They're not similar or essentially the same to Matrix technology. They will just auto dip for oncoming traffic/cars in front. Pretty sure the MG's just dip then go back to high beam again once clear of any traffic. Not even close to Matrix technology.

Incorrect - it takes part of the matrix technology.. it dips part of the beam to stop dazzling oncoming drivers whereas SE is just auto dip on and off of the entire beam cluster. My statement was what I was told by my dealer & video to show the differences too as another user described, they don’t dance like the matrix headlights and this is why I didn’t say it was the same.. they are different technologies with some core similarities…

Incorrect - it takes part of the matrix technology.. it dips part of the beam to stop dazzling oncoming drivers whereas SE is just auto dip on and off of the entire beam cluster. My statement was what I was told by my dealer & video to show the differences too as another user described, they don’t dance like the matrix headlights and this is why I didn’t say it was the same.. they are different technologies with some core similarities…

Drove my trophy at night the other day and it was definitely dipping the whole beam on both sides when it saw oncoming traffic.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 492 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back