• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Trying to decide between Ohme and Zappi home chargers for MG5

defeatedbythecat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I am hoping to go for the Go Faster tariff in November when my British Gas Fixed tariff ends.

Can both of these chargers charge on a schedule without issue?

Anyone got experience of either they'd be willing to share?

I am currently using the Ohme unit and works great on the app as I change the charge amount depending on how much I usecthat day normally 70 miles or just vover 30%.
I did use my Zappi for a while but that was just using a schedule as I didnt have a hub.

Any reason you haven't considered other charge points?

I am currently using the Ohme unit and works great on the app as I change the charge amount depending on how much I usecthat day normally 70 miles or just vover 30%.
I did use my Zappi for a while but that was just using a schedule as I didnt have a hub.
So you need to buy a hub to do smarter functions with the Zappi? But Ohme it's all built in?
Can you change your Ohme settings when you're not connected to your own wifi... Say you took a bus into town then decided you wanted to force a charge on your car plugged in at home?

The Zappi i got is just the charger. It is best used with solar and a harvi and hub.
I have not used one of those air polluting bus things for a while and have not done a boost charge but dont see why it can't. I only charge on the cheap Octopus go 5p/kw tariff which is enough for my daily commute but if I needed it to be at 100% or to balance the battery I could turn it on using the app from anywhere.

The Zappi i got is just the charger. It is best used with solar and a harvi and hub.
I have not used one of those air polluting bus things for a while and have not done a boost charge but dont see why it can't. I only charge on the cheap Octopus go 5p/kw tariff which is enough for my daily commute but if I needed it to be at 100% or to balance the battery I could turn it on using the app from anywhere.
Yeah it was just a ' can you control it outside of your network' question

I have zappi connected to solar and storage battery.
works great and with the hub can control it from outside my home network.
you need the hub to get the £350 grant but it is worth it for the app and control of charging

Just not aware of others I guess, new to EV's and these are two I know about and have heard good things
Hypervolt is another worth looking at

Hypervolt is another worth looking at

Looks nice but it seems from that post that the tariff scheduling isn't there yet. So just manual right now?

I have zappi connected to solar and storage battery.
works great and with the hub can control it from outside my home network.
you need the hub to get the £350 grant but it is worth it for the app and control of charging
If I had or could afford solar then definitely the leader. But I know this house is not going to be long term. Maybe 5 years. So perhaps I'm better off going cheaper for now

Looks nice but it seems from that post that the tariff scheduling isn't there yet. So just manual right now?
Think you can schedule but manual scheduling rather than scheduling being set based on your tariff. So I’d need to set from midnight to 5am based on my British Gas off peak time.

I don’t have mine installed yet though so my info is just based on the manual and YouTube

If I had or could afford solar then definitely the leader. But I know this house is not going to be long term. Maybe 5 years. So perhaps I'm better off going cheaper for now
if only short term then cheaper best. I would go with Ohme as 2 family members have Ohme and have no complaints.
ps both are on octopus go tariff and schedule charging

Depends on what you mean by tariff scheduling.
Timed charging to exploit the likes of Octopus Go works now.

You are probably looking at the right thing:

It's a cable incorporating a charger that plugs into a commando socket or dumb type 2 charge point.
Not a solution I would go for.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom