Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I just updated maps on my 2022 ZS EV, they are now Q1 2022

This is how it's done

1. Go to this website to Download map file
2. Link is for a free Mega account, maybe they have limits, please contact me if the link stops working.
3. Download the MAP update file (14 Gbyte)
4. The file you downloaded is compressed with RAR, it contains one folder "maps" which you need to decompress (Find decompression program at WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files)
5. Copy the folder "maps" onto a 32 GB or larger USB thumbdrive, make sure the "maps" folder is in the root of the drive and nothing else is on there
6. Insert the thumbdrive into your car's USB-A socket, power on the car, and go to settings / system and select "Update maps and VR data"
7. The car will say "Getting info" for up to 5 minutes after which it will let you continue
8. After continuing, the car will say "Checking MD5 hashes" and after a minute or 2 it will start the copy process. Expect 30 minutes for this operation.
9. When it finishes it will shortly say "Checking MD5 hash" again, after which it will prompt you to end the process, and it will then reboot the radio.

You now have the latest maps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

This is how it's done

1. go to this website User manuals - Recharge yourself
2. Enter your VIN
4. The file you downloaded is compressed with RAR, it contains one folder "maps" which you need to decompress (Find decompression program at WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files)
5. Copy the folder "maps" onto a 32 GB or larger USB thumbdrive, make sure the "maps" folder is in the root of the drive and nothing else is on there
6. Insert the thumbdrive into your car's USB-A socket, power on the car, and go to settings / system and select "Update maps and VR data"
7. The car will say "Getting info" for up to 5 minutes after which it will let you continue
8. After continuing, the car will say "Checking MD5 hashes" and after a minute or 2 it will start the copy process. Expect 30 minutes for this operation.
9. When it finishes it will shortly say "Checking MD5 hash" again, after which it will prompt you to end the process, and it will then reboot the radio.

Awesome job. Well done. Similar process to updating the Kona maps. :)

It's no wonder the OTA stuff isn't working then really isn't it?
I would expect OTA firmware to be a lot smaller.

I regularily receive updates for my android phone (The infotainment runs android) and these are just "incremental updates" that are a lot smaller than full updates. Incremental updates only replaces files that has been updated. If you do an incremental update, a few hundred MB's would get you a long way.

No matter what, they promised OTA update functionality, so i expect them to do OTA updates. :)

This is how it's done

1. go to this website User manuals - Recharge yourself
2. Enter your VIN

Thanks. Super useful.
Is there a way to check the current version installed on a ZS EV 2022? Just want to check!

Agreed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Me neither, but i feel it will be a massive letdown if they never do any OTA's.

Nowadays most infotainment systems are a lot more than just a FM radio.

It's not like i have any of the core functions that does not work, but there are 2 things that i feel is pretty important for an internet connected infotainment.

1. Updates to streaming functions, maybe they could add other streaming services than amazon.
2. Security updates. If the radio is based off of Android, it really needs updating to patch security problems, and google release security based updates every month. If the radio will never receive any security updates, in just a few years there is bound to be multiple security related issues, that is potentially going to make hackers able to render all of these infotainment systems unusable.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. After waiting an age to download the update on our carrier pigeon powered internet and equally long for the files to then copy to a USB it failed - just gives the error does not meet specification. Tried it on three different USBs so I can only assume that it doesn't like Mac formatting (FAT32) and as none of us own PCs, I guess we won't be updating our maps ....

Still, Here maps app now works on Android Auto which is exactly the same as the maps installed in the car anyhow, so not all in all a wasted day.

md5 file error ... failed, i will try to download

IMG_20220630_132245.jpg

Just as an FYI this really needs to be done on a pc and not a Mac as I haven’t even managed to get the file onto a USB that is formatted as FAT32 yet and APFS isn’t recognised by the car

Just as an FYI this really needs to be done on a pc and not a Mac as I haven’t even managed to get the file onto a USB that is formatted as FAT32 yet and APFS isn’t recognised by the car
Same problem for us - and as we don't own a PC not much hope of going any further.

I used NTFS and a PC. (But i think FAT32 might actually work, my car recognised the USB stick with both formats).

I guess if all of the people that had problems formatted and copied it on a mac, then that might be the problem.

Maybe there is a market, selling 32 Gbyte windows NTFS formatted Thumbdrives, with the files copied onto them. :)

Have you made hidden files visible on the MAC? I believe some people doing the Kona updates had a similar problem.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom