• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Type 2 charger cable.

ScottyB

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m sure this has been discussed many a time, however I am unable to find a exact answer. My ZS came with a Granny charger and I’m looking to get a type 2 to type 2 cable. What would the community recommend as the prices seem to be all over the place, and would buying one second hand be worth it or not?
Again I know this has been posted before but can’t find it so throwing it out there!
thanks in advance 😀

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would get a higher rated one than this one. Most home chargers are 32amps now which is 7kw. This 16a one would get rather hot or even burn out if you tried to charge at 32a. Be careful.
Sorry the one I h got was 32a I did not notice this one was 16a the same type and price

Original thread here discussing it. The offers may or may not still exist.

This 16a one would get rather hot or even burn out if you tried to charge at 32a.
My understanding is that type 2 is smart enough to limit charge current to what the cable can handle. There is a resistor in the cable that the EVSE should sense. This is one of the reasons that type 2 extension cables are highly discouraged.

Of course that assumes that cheap cables follow the specifications, but so far I have found that they do.

My understanding is that type 2 is smart enough to limit charge current to what the cable can handle. There is a resistor in the cable that the EVSE should sense.
Your understanding is correct.
For Type2 AC charging cables there resistor between protective earth (PE) and the proximity pin (PP) pin to indicate a) the plug is inserted, b) the plug can therefore be locked, and c) the gauge of the cable and thus the maximum current.
The PP-PE resistors are installed at both ends of the cable.
The resistance values are: 1500Ω – up to 13A, 680Ω – up to 16A cable, 220Ω – 32A cable.

This 16a one would get rather hot or even burn out if you tried to charge at 32a. Be careful.
The 16A cable then would never get that hot much less burn out as the embedded 680Ω resistor limits the power draw from the vehicle to a maximum of 16A.

This is one of the reasons that type 2 extension cables are highly discouraged.
Yes but the 'other' reason you cannot use Type2-Type2 charging cables as extension cables (apart from the resistance values across PP and PE pins doubling and therefore the power draw handshake between vehicle and EVSe fails) is that the PP pin on the male end is shorter by 10mm and therefore never makes contact with the female PP ferrule on the male end of the daisy-chained cable.

Type2 extension cables are an essential piece of kit to have in the trunk in case you come across an inconsiderate ICE driver parked in a EV charging spot, and are safe to use if rated to 22kW.
The only place I have found that sells them with EU Type2 compatibility is here.
AUD395 for the 5m version, 10m also available to order. The one I bought I think cost me less than £300 including postage from Australia.

EV Extras in the UK do extender cables too.

Arse! I had a 10m extension fitted to my home charger a while back, even searched for this type of thing before I did it but couldn't find anything. Hey-ho.

Good find, but the unprotected rubber boot at the back of the male socket would worry me a bit. Definitely indoor use only, Before using you would want to fit a 1" diameter hose clamp to seal the cable entry at the small end of the rubber boot here:
1621582954724.png

This is where the Evchargers people I think solved it by fitting the male end in a fit-for-purpose ABS box
1621583122685.png

And the spiral gland doubles as a convenient place to grab and hold when you plug/unplug the Type2 connector. Probably explains why it costs a bit more.

That's been my experience - your mileage may vary.
Peace :)

Good find, but the unprotected rubber boot at the back of the male socket would worry me a bit. Definitely indoor use only, Before using you would want to fit a 1" diameter hose clamp to seal the cable entry at the small end of the rubber boot here:
View attachment 3311

This is where the Evchargers people I think solved it by fitting the male end in a fit-for-purpose ABS box
View attachment 3313
And the spiral gland doubles as a convenient place to grab and hold when you plug/unplug the Type2 connector. Probably explains why it costs a bit more.

That's been my experience - your mileage may vary.
Peace :)
I am not that keen on the adaptor in the top image, to be totally honest.
Sorry, no offence but it just looks a bit "Heath Robinson" to me, with that jubilee clips around the boot.

There are quite a few available in the UK as alternatives. E.g.
Or
Or
I do tend to think a single long lead would be better, or a long captive lead on a home charger, but can see when an extension would be handy.

I’m sure this has been discussed many a time, however I am unable to find a exact answer. My ZS came with a Granny charger and I’m looking to get a type 2 to type 2 cable. What would the community recommend as the prices seem to be all over the place, and would buying one second hand be worth it or not?
Again I know this has been posted before but can’t find it so throwing it out there!
thanks in advance 😀
Hi Scotty, I would recommend buying a 32amp cable of suitable length is the way to go.
Although a 16 amp cable would work it will take twice as long to charge your car.
I prefer a straight cable as I feel the curly ones tend to be a strained if near their maximum length.
As for second hand - I am sure there a lots of good value ones out there but you pays your money and takes your chance!
At least buying new, you will have a guarantee should anything go wrong.
I hope this helps.

thanks in advance 😀
Hi Scotty, we purchased a 22kW cable, being aware MG can only accept 7kW, as it was only A$10 more and future proofing for next car. Purch here locally in Aust - Type 2 EV Cable | 2 Year Warranty | EVSE | FREE Shipping

Last edited:
Well you have got it covered when you upgrade your car or charger and you know it can handle 7Kw with ease

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom