MG ZS EV Tyre Pressure

More about the oxygen rather than the nitrogen this time for anyone interested.
Ive not been following the forum (or anything else much) for a few months as caring for my wife has taken over most of my time. She’s been diagnosed with heart failure and a clot on her lung and is now dependent on oxygen 24 / 7. We’ve got an oxygen concentrator running continuously in the house. This works by basically having a compressor forcing some air from the room through a filter which only the nitrogen passes through, the oxygen is bled off into a container and thence fed through a lengthy wee easily tangled menace of a plastic tube to the recipient.
In case of power cuts or breakdowns, we have a couple of standby 20 hour cylinders of oxygen to take the concentrator’s place. If and when my wife can get out of the house we also have six 2 hour capacity cylinders for use in her wheelchair or scooter etc.
I hear you ask what this all has to do with our MG5 and this forum in general ?
Well we checked with our car and house insurance to see if the policies covered the oxygen use and storage in the house and car. The house insurers quickly said yes it’s OK. I had to email the car insurance company three times to eventually have them say they’d cover one very small cylinder carried in the car - so effectively we could just about reach the shops and come straight back - useless.
So I contacted the company who supply all the equipment through the NHS. The girl was very helpful and knowledgeable.
Basically they insure everything and allow you to carry multipl cylinders which in our case means 6 cylinders times 2 hours each equals 12 hours “freedom”
But there’s more (as yon comedian used to say).
if we want to go away for a night or two they’ll deliver a concentrator and or cylinders to your destination ready for your arrival and collect them when you return- wow what a service !!
now I don’t know what costs or indeed distance limits would be involved as we’ve no plans yet but it’s all peace of mind in the house and if we do plan an escape.
Sadly my wife isn’t able to fly now but our Granddaughter lives in San Diego and I’d love to have asked how far delivery service extended :))

Oh I forgot to mention - the concentrato gives off a lot of heat - such that we have to leav a window open to cool the house at night and find a couple of 700 infrared panels can now easily take the place of our 9 kW heating boiler to heat the house. And the power to run the concentrator 24/7 is reimbursed to us.

@Archev - I wish I had known about the delivery of another oxygen concentrator. My late husband needed this set up also, and I transported everything if we visited family for a weekend. Fortunately, the Volvo XC70 we had at the time could manage all the equipment, but the machine was pretty heavy. Noisy too. I never considered contacting the car insurance company, but time was very short for us anyway.

I am sure your post will help other people, so thank you for sharing.

@Archev - It is very easy to understand that you have been extremely busy my friend.
My Mum had a very similar set up as yours, at her home.
Air noisy concentrator machine with miles and miles of clear plastic pipe and an fairly large standby oxygen tank, that was kept in another room.
Her heart was strong, but smoking for 40 years eventually took it toll on her lungs in the end.
Anybody who has cared for somebody who is really poorly, knows how extremely hard it can be, when you are both physically / mentally exhausting.
Thank you for taking the time from your very busy day / night to share your thoughts 🙏.

Thanks @Joanna and @Lovemyev.
We also had the local fire and rescue officers come and give us advice. The only thing they said was to apply warning stickers to the house main doors and to the front and rear screens of the car to alert officers about the presence of oxygen in case of emergency call-outs.
They had no specific problems with it being an electric car.
We’re non smokers and my wife doesn’t like scented (or any) candles burning in the house. We’ve an electric cooker, electric central heating boiler. We’re recently moving on to infrared- much cheaper to run and don’t circulate dust with convection air currents - important with respiratory problems.

We had the local fire and rescue officers come and give us advice. The only thing they said was to apply warning stickers to the house main doors and to the front and rear screens of the car to alert officers about the presence of oxygen in case of emergency call-outs.
They had no specific problems with it being an electric car.
We’re non smokers and my wife doesn’t like scented (or any) candles burning in the house. We’ve an electric cooker, electric central heating boiler. We’re recently moving on to infrared- much cheaper to run and don’t circulate dust with convection air currents - important with respiratory problems.

Ive had the same warning light on since Dec - and have been driving with no issues and havent re-inflated the tyres - i think the sensors are sensitive in this regards - but so far so good, (fingers crossed!)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom