Tyres, tyres, everywhere

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This years All Season Tyre Test video has been released, and on a 205/55 R16 91V size that's very close to the MG5's 205/60 R16 96V.

I was tempted by the Pirelli Cinturato All Season SF2 due to their low rolling resistance and good performance but opted for four Michelin CrossClimate 2 as Black Circles have a 15% off code (HHSAVE) and Kwikfit have a 10% off code (KFSEP), although this finishes very soon.

On my previous PHEV the relevant forum had a specific tyre which most members used (AFAIK) which revolved around (haha) low noise as much as anything. Goodyear Efficientgrip.

On my previous PHEV the relevant forum had a specific tyre which most members used (AFAIK) which revolved around (haha) low noise as much as anything. Goodyear Efficientgrip.
Rolling resistance and noise were big factors for me (where the Pirelli shines). Tricky thing with all season tyres is places like Inverness have completely different summer/winter conditions from somewhere like Southampton so even the winner of a review might not be best for you. It's all a compromise really.

If you need winter tyres.....you need winter tyres.

Here in the Midlands, they would have been handy for me, on average, on about 1.5 days a year...over the last 4 years. ......So I'm not bothering with this car.
Yeah, but that’s only partially true though. There is a misconception that winter tyres are purely for snow.

Summer tyres are much less effective below 8oC when the compound hardens, which does cover a significant portion of the year, especially for those commuting early in the morning. Performance drops dramatically - as shown in the graphs in the original link - an extra 5m (16%) increase in braking distance at 4oC.

Whilst winter tyres should always be better than All Season for snow and ice, modern All Season tyres (whether summer biased or winter biased) are excellent in the cold compared to winter tyres - and summer tyres don’t even compare.

I used to run 16” Continental Wintersport TS850 in winter and 17” Continental Premium Contact in summer. Now I can’t be bothered buying and changing wheels, hence the compromise of using All Season tyres.

Last edited:
I will certainly be looking at Cross Climate tyres.

Being a shift worker, I drive at all hours be it 04:00, 11:00 or 19:00 and of course anywhere between!
My longest drive is from Northamptonshire to London about twice a month starting out at 04:00 and that is always a tricky drive dependant on the season.

I did a bit of research after the last tyre thread. I think the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 look the best for my Yorkshire climate (grip and noise). It's mostly rain and ice in winter. Don't know what they would be like in tropical Scotland.

I did a bit of research after the last tyre thread. I think the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 look the best for my Yorkshire climate (grip and noise). It's mostly rain and ice in winter. Don't know what they would be like in tropical Scotland.
Looks like a good quality summer tyre, efficiency rating of 'B' and rain rating of 'A' 👍 Nothing short of a winter tyre will grip on ice - in scotland, it's cold and wet. Winter isn't any better 🤣

Yes I've had winter tyres for my last 3 cars....and have still got them for the PHEV, and I must admit I do like a "A class" wet grip tyre.

But all tyres are trade-offs. Ride / Comfort/ grip/ noise. I think the standard tyres on the ZS EV are a good balance. Being retired, I don't do any early hours driving in the frosty weather.

I've got an old Fiat Panda sitting outside, mainly bought to slow cars around a blind corner outside my house as I've no pavement - anyway, I keep winter tyres on that all year as it does a few miles a week to the shops and never very fast.

The new CrossClimate 2 and Pirelli Cinturato All Season SF2 might be the first generation of All Season tyres to offer efficiency and noise ratings comparable to summer tyres - particularly the Pirelli.

As you say though, every choice is a trade off between usage pattern, cost, etc - and the ZS looks to have better tyres from the factory than the MG5.

Apart from one time in the 70s when I fitted some winter tyres (that looked like small tractor tyres with the knobbly tread :D ) to the rear wheels of my Mk3 Cortina, I've not had the need for winter tyres since. I'm now retired so if it snows I just don't go out and my last job was within walking distance anyway.

Apart from one time in the 70s when I fitted some winter tyres (that looked like small tractor tyres with the knobbly tread :D ) to the rear wheels of my Mk3 Cortina, I've not had the need for winter tyres since. I'm now retired so if it snows I just don't go out and my last job was within walking distance anyway.
I'm picturing something from Wacky Races! Sometimes staying at home is the best option - or building a snowman.

I originally fitted winter tyres as my daughter was due in February and I needed the assurance of getting to the hospital. Now, I just need to get home and up the incline to my house - so I can watch the other cars struggle on the slope 🤷‍♂️

Yeah "old school" winter tyres from the 70s and 80s. ;)
Winter tyres.jpg
(y)

I would not be using this in the below 7°c weather. Cold damp roads need the Vector 4 seasons gen 2/3

Original Michelin Cross Climates were excellent all year round on my last two diesel Citroens in all conditions. But we had no trouble last winter with our ZS on it’s standard tyres. I’ll wait and see how the new 5LR handles ice etc before changing anything. So far it’s very good other than breaking traction if the right shoe suddenly feels heavy during launch 🥴

I would not be using this in the below 7°c weather. Cold damp roads need the Vector 4 seasons gen 2/3
I didn't see this tyre when I looked before but I'm inclined to agree with you. The original MG5 tyres will last me through this winter then I will look properly. It would be good if people who have changed tyres through the winter use this thread to give a review on their performance.

Last edited:
I didn't see this tyre when I looked before but I'm inclined to agree with you. The original MG5 tyres will last me through this winter then I will have look properly. It would be good if people who have changed tyres through the winter use this thread to give a review on their performance.
I am removing my GF Tyres as they will wear more below 7°. Will keep new alloy and tyres nice and store in shed.
Replacement with openeo site sourced Vector 4 seasons gen 3 on Vw black steel rim. The high side wall, will help comfort in snow n ice and hidden kerbs will not do too much damage to steel rim and high wall. Cheap rims can deal with salt n muc.
The tyre can deal with colder wet weather and is wet bias vs the cross climate which is dry biased.
Then in March the lovely alloy will be back on.
Have to still source 20. M14x 1.5 bolts for the vw rims 5x112 et 41 57 bore 16”

Original Michelin Cross Climates were excellent all year round on my last two diesel Citroens in all conditions. But we had no trouble last winter with our ZS on it’s standard tyres. I’ll wait and see how the new 5LR handles ice etc before changing anything. So far it’s very good other than breaking traction if the right shoe suddenly feels heavy during launch 🥴
I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised how the smooth looking Michelins on my ZS performed in the bit of snow we had last year.

Aye they’re not very aggressive looking compared to some but they certainly seem to get a good purchase on the Road. my Citroen Berlingo Multispace diesel was particularly good with the extra weight of stuff I carried around, plumbing/ electrical spares and tools. And my wife’s C3 diesel pulled itself through 200 to 250 mm drifting snow To get friends to the airport one morning and was even more of a delight to drive in the dry, wet or icy conditions than it was on standard tyres.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom