UK Tesla Superchargers now open for Non tesla EV's

D

Deleted member 8269

Hello all,

With the news of 15 Supercharger locations open for all to use, can anyone confirm if they have tried using an MG5? It would be great to know if the cable on the unit it long enough to easily attach to the MG5 charge port (with normal forward bay parking). Unfortunately I am 45 minutes away from the closest allowed supercharger unit 😞.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

It's a CCS charger, why wouldn't it work (except the normal reasons why they don't work).

I imagine it might be better maintained than your ordinary ones.

Hello all,

With the news of 15 Supercharger locations open for all to use, can anyone confirm if they have tried using an MG5? It would be great to know if the cable on the unit it long enough to easily attach to the MG5 charge port (with normal forward bay parking). Unfortunately I am 45 minutes away from the closest allowed supercharger unit 😞.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
I would hope that the initial 15 sites have been chosen based on a combination of factors, including cable length. There will be plenty of reviews appearing on twitter and YouTube from all the usual EV suspects soon (some already appearing).

It's a CCS charger, why wouldn't it work (except the normal reasons why they don't work).

I imagine it might be better maintained than your ordinary ones.
Sorry I was trying to gauge if the short cables on the Supercharger makes it possible to connect an MG5 without having to take more than 1 bay or park at a crooked angle 😅. Would hate to plan journeys using this amazing network to find that the cable doesn't reach lol

I would hope that the initial 15 sites have been chosen based on a combination of factors, including cable length. There will be plenty of reviews appearing on twitter and YouTube from all the usual EV suspects soon (some already appearing).
Yes I hope so. Yeah, these reviews are popping up, so far I've seen 2 vids on YouTube testing them here in the UK. One of a Peugeot e208 - charge port is in the ideal location like on Tesla's (rear left). The second of a BMW i3 which has its charge port on the rear right. This meant it had to use the Supercharger to its right when in a bay... which equates to taking 2 bays, but luckily no many others around charging at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Useful image for nose located charge ports. .
Screenshot_20220520-122117_YouTube.jpg

Granted not the MG5, we tried the SC on the wife’s Corsa. The cables are short but it should be doable, I will let you know how I get on next week. In terms of starting and stopping the charge, it’s all done in the app. All very easy, as you would expect with Tesla.
In terms of speed, we plugged in at 33% and the car pulled 80kw, this eventually dropped to 64kw for the duration till 88% when it steadied to 28kw. So 33 to 88% in about 26 minutes. Will be interesting to see how the MG fares.

Attachments

• AD2283BD-28C7-48B3-87A8-D8DB68785FE2.jpeg
    AD2283BD-28C7-48B3-87A8-D8DB68785FE2.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 3D229331-975E-4E70-9725-8EF556B187D0.jpeg
    3D229331-975E-4E70-9725-8EF556B187D0.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 161
  • FBBFCCA1-8953-4F36-9C69-11D4EDB9A9A3.jpeg
    FBBFCCA1-8953-4F36-9C69-11D4EDB9A9A3.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 181
Granted not the MG5, we tried the SC on the wife’s Corsa. The cables are short but it should be doable, I will let you know how I get on next week. In terms of starting and stopping the charge, it’s all done in the app. All very easy, as you would expect with Tesla.
In terms of speed, we plugged in at 33% and the car pulled 80kw, this eventually dropped to 64kw for the duration till 88% when it steadied to 28kw. So 33 to 88% in about 26 minutes. Will be interesting to see how the MG fares.
Amazing detail, thank you 😃

Just tried the Tesla Chargers at Lakeside Grays. Having set up the app, plugged in and used the app to start the charge. Parked close to the line and the cable reached with no problem. Only downside is the cost but as this was only a test visit not a problem. Started on 71% so don't expect any high charge speed. This is also the first charge on DC since leaving ONTO last March. My MG5 LR is Cazoo subscription and I have 7kW home charging on Octopus Go.👴
20220523_094905.jpg
20220523_095135.jpg

Attachments

• 20220523_094842.jpg
    20220523_094842.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 174
Just tried the Tesla Chargers at Lakeside Grays. Having set up the app, plugged in and used the app to start the charge. Parked close to the line and the cable reached with no problem. Only downside is the cost but as this was only a test visit not a problem. Started on 71% so don't expect any high charge speed. This is also the first charge on DC since leaving ONTO last March. My MG5 LR is Cazoo subscription and I have 7kW home charging on Octopus Go.👴View attachment 8588View attachment 8589
That's prefect, thank you for testing it out. I can now have this as an option without worry in future and like you said its not the cheapest but I reckon its worth the option infrequently if you get stuck at the likes of broken bp pulse/engie points units ect 😃 😊

Here's my experience at the Supercharger in Flint for anyone interested!

Thanks for the video. Do you really need to upload proof of ownership, etc, etc, in the Tesla app just to start a charge?

edit: I stopped at the first question - entering the VIN. Haven't needed this for any of the other apps so didn't have it handy

Thanks for the video. Do you really need to upload proof of ownership, etc, etc, in the Tesla app just to start a charge?

edit: I stopped at the first question - entering the VIN. Haven't needed this for any of the other apps so didn't have it handy
No, I just kept it to address and card details. But then when I started the charge it also wanted a billing address.

As far as I know, all (reasonably modern) cars have a visible VIN somewhere near the bottom of the windscreen.

I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement or not, but my MG5 has it, and so did my old Honda Jazz.

No, I just kept it to address and card details. But then when I started the charge it also wanted a billing address.
Just tried the Supercharger in Trumpington near Cambridge. So before I set out, I added my card to the app then also went into ...."account"...."charging"....then "manage payment" and added my billing address too. This meant on arrival I had nothing to do other than plug the car in, open the app and select the stall number, then hit start charge. Worked at treat, no issues as expected. I parked forward (nose in) and close to the right bay line and this cable reached okay fully stretched. On arrival 2 of 12 stalls we in use and in the little time i was there, 7 of 12 were in now in use (inc a Polestar 2). So I started the charge at 12% and within seconds it ramped up, to 87kw, hover no lower than 84kw and peaked at 91kw (see attached). I stopped the charge at 35% as I only needed 25% with some buffer. So a 10 minute charge got me 13kwh of leccy costing £7.93. So I guess-o-mate at these speeds from 13% to 80% would take about 30 minutes. Happy days! for available and reliable charging, as long as you don't have to charge here very often, a little dear I think but you pay for what you get I suppose.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-132943_Tesla~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-132943_Tesla~2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 193
Just tried the Supercharger in Trumpington near Cambridge. So before I set out, I added my card to the app then also went into ...."account"...."charging"....then "manage payment" and added my billing address too. This meant on arrival I had nothing to do other plug the MG5 LR in,open the app and select the stall number, then start charge. Worked at treat, no issues as expected. I park forward (nose in) and close to the right bay line as possible and this cable reached okay but was fully stretched. On arrival 2 of 12 stalls we in use and in the little time i was there, 7 of 12 were in now in use. So I started the charge at 12% and within seconds it ramped up, to 87kw and peaked at 91kw (see attached). I stopped the charge at 35% as of only needed 25% with some buffer. So a 10 minute charge got me 13kwh of leccy costing £7.93. So I guess-o-mate at these speeds from 13% to 80% would take about 30 minutes. Happy days! for available and reliable charging, as long as you don't have to charge very often you pay of what you get I suppose.
Very nice, that's quick! I think if it's occasional it makes sense- I wouldn't want to pay that all the time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom