Unable to charge if home charger supply has Ethernet over power

AndyJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I recently replaced my old "BT Broadband Extender" with a much later technology "TP-LINK Powerline Adaptor". This caused havoc when trying to charge my MG ZS EV (you can hear it repeatedly trying to charge). In desperation I replaced the TP-LINK adaptor with a Netgear offering and got the same problem. Conclusion: the root cause is the use of the latest technology standards.
I contacted the supplier of my charger "Myengie" who asked if my car was an MG ZS! Seems this is a known problem. Sadly, my dealership don't or won't understand the issue. So, how do I contact MG??

Rule of thumb

Any device that is stationary that needs network connectivity, should be hardwired with a cable.

Wifi is for laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.

LAN extenders that rely on the power grid is not to be used for anything, as they are crap :)

This is my experience from working in IT for many years.

Oh, and if you need multiple hotspots to cover your house with wifi, the same rule, for stationary devices apply.....Mesh systems are the root of all evil.

I recently replaced my old "BT Broadband Extender" with a much later technology "TP-LINK Powerline Adaptor". This caused havoc when trying to charge my MG ZS EV (you can hear it repeatedly trying to charge). In desperation I replaced the TP-LINK adaptor with a Netgear offering and got the same problem. Conclusion: the root cause is the use of the latest technology standards.
I contacted the supplier of my charger "Myengie" who asked if my car was an MG ZS! Seems this is a known problem. Sadly, my dealership don't or won't understand the issue. So, how do I contact MG??
Have you made sure that the two sockets you are using for the powerline devices aren't on separate ring mains? - Edite: Saw you were using a version of powerline before so ignore the first bit.

The standards haven't changed, ethernet is ethernet is ethernet... The devices use the same communication protocols. They are just horrendously unreliable. Might be worth looking at the sockets that you are using as I am going to guess that the reason you upgraded from the BT to the TP-Link/Netgear is because the BT one stopped working?

Its a known and common problem and been discussed many times on here. Powerline adaptors conflict with MG chargers so ethernet is your only solution. I have CCTV connected via Powerline adaptors and have to turn it off to be able to charge my ZS EV.

Its a known and common problem and been discussed many times on here. Powerline adaptors conflict with MG chargers so ethernet is your only solution. I have CCTV connected via Powerline adaptors and have to turn it off to be able to charge my ZS EV.
Indeed I had this problem way back in Nov '20 when I first got my ZS EV

No problems charging my ZS with TP-Link mains network extenders and Pod Point charger, so I would suspect your charger.

I put in a hard wired Cat5e network in years ago and haven't looked back.
O
I have tp link ,zs ev and wall box charger, not noticed any such issues. Would look for some kind of inline filter.
You say you have TP-LINK; is that as Ethernet Power Line Adaptors? If so, do you use them on the same circuit as your box charger?

There must be a type of fillter to stop data on power lines?
ISTR someone mentioning a surge protector might help and just coincidentally I happen to have surge protector extension strips plugged into each of the other sockets on the twin wall sockets that my network extenders are plugged in to. :unsure:

ISTR someone mentioning a surge protector might help and just coincidentally I happen to have surge protector extension strips plugged into each of the other sockets on the twin wall sockets that my network extenders are plugged in to. :unsure:
Most powerline manufacturers will recommend against plugging them in to any sort of extension

Most powerline manufacturers will recommend against plugging them in to any sort of extension
Mine aren't plugged into the extensions, they are plugged in to the other socket on the twin wall sockets next to the extensions.

No problems charging my ZS with TP-Link mains network extenders and Pod Point charger, so I would suspect your charger.
Is that a Wi-Fi extender that you plug in? there is no problem with those, only powerline extenders that send the ethernet signal through the mains cause the problem.

Might be remembering wrong but isn't there a dealer update that fixes this?

By the same token, if there isn't, does anyone know if the facelift model has the same issue?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom