Unable to open charge port.

NAJ

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Marvel R
Winter! Currently unable to charge as the door to the charging port is stuck. Presumably frozen somehow. We are completely unable to open it. Any ideas?

We have tried spraying in de-icer, heating it with a radiator under a blanket. Nothing works. It’s -5 and not expected to go above zero for at least 10 days. Perhaps not until March!

Managed to get home from a long journey. Currently 11% and battery is dropping just sitting there.

Could warm air from a hair dryer be more effective?

Hi,
In the owner's manual there is an instruction emergency access to the charging port, see please the attachment.
Note: Perhaps the problem is not because the low temperatures.

Regards

Last edited:
Winter! Currently unable to charge as the door to the charging port is stuck. Presumably frozen somehow. We are completely unable to open it. Any ideas?

We have tried spraying in de-icer, heating it with a radiator under a blanket. Nothing works. It’s -5 and not expected to go above zero for at least 10 days. Perhaps not until March!

Managed to get home from a long journey. Currently 11% and battery is dropping just sitting there.
I have the same issue with my MG4, cannot open de latch to get to the charging port. 2nd time this happened.

Car is booked for a software update to hopefully fix my AC issues and will ask about this as well.

Will try to contact the dealer tomorrow for any tips on how to open the latch.

In the mean time I will try the hairdryer later this evening, somehow using hot water feels a tad uncomfortable.

Hi,
In the owner's manual there is an instruction emergency access to the charging port, see please the attachment.
Note: Perhaps the problem is not because the low temperatures.

Regards
Hi, this will only help if you are charging and the plug is not possible to release or remove, it will not help on opening a frozen charging port cover, I have had this 5 times on my car, 2 times in MG workshop to defrost, then they re-grease with some special silicone paste, not the same as you buy in the shop, this works for a very short time, trying a plastic bag of hot water my help, never worked for me, only option is to get the car in-house to defrost, then leave the charge port open, with rubber plugs in place as normal, not a good option, but if you live in a cold country like me (Norway), there is no other option, if you would like to continue to use you car during winter time, no we do not talk about the door handle(s), same story, I had all 4 replaced last summer, they still freeze up every now and then again during the winter months, a great car for sunny days... ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, this will only help if you are charging and the plug is not possible to release or remove, it will not help on opening a frozen charging port cover, I have had this 5 times on my car, 2 times in MG workshop to defrost, then they re-grease with some special silicone paste, not the same as you buy in the shop, this works for a very short time, trying a plastic bag of hot water my help, never worked for me, only option is to get the car in-house to defrost, then leave the charge port open, with rubber plugs in place as normal, not a good option, but if you live in a cold country like me (Norway), there is no other option, if you would like to continue to use you car during winter time, no we do not talk about the door handle(s), same story, I had all 4 replaced last summer, they still freeze up every now and then again during the winter months, a great car for sunny days... ;o)
Hi,
Yes, this is only to release the charging cable mechanically.

THANK YOU very much for your correction.
I will delete the attachment so as not to be taken as true inadvertently.

Regards

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom