Unable to Tax online / phone

akendall1966

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Coming up on 1 year of ownership 22 plate pre-facelift bought new. V11 arrived in the week tried to renew Tax online and using the automated phone service only to get:

"Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for vehicle tax or make a SORN using this service.
You will need to apply for the vehicle tax at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax using the Registration Certificate (V5C) or if you are a new keeper the New Keeper section of the V5C (V5C/2) together with the MOT Test Certificate/GVT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee."

Cynic in me says with the budget in a few days, I am being blocked because EV will soon be removed from the NIL rate?

I have the V5 in may name details are correct and no changes since bought & registered by the dealer last April. So I can only assume its the "because of the tax class" part of the message that applies. Not opposed to pay VED, but until the NIL rate changes, surely should be able to renew within the month prior to the tax expires at the rate in effect at that point in time

There not a particularly near Post Office that does VED but I'll try and get to one with the V5 and see what they say.

Anyone experienced this, am I reading too much into it, a simpler explanation perhaps?

AK

Did it online in January no problem, took about 30 seconds.

Govt has already said no tax until 2025.

Did mine by phone 3 weeks ago as the website was broken. Went through no issue. If your reminder says nil, it's nil, I think a phone call is required because there's definitely something wrong with the paperwork somewhere.

There is always the caveat on the v11 if the rate changes after its printed the new rate applies.

It sounds like the advised trip to a post office in the message might be a wate of time.

@akendall1966

Like you, I have a pre-facelift 5, delivered March 25th last year so due for tax renewal March 1st. I did mine online just two or three weeks ago. No problem, email confirmation of completed process received almost immediately.

Have you tried doing it online via the website link in your V11 letter?

Just did mine online the other day - no problems at all. Mine's also coming up to 1 year old and was registered by the dealer.

Ok sounds like it's a case of 'computer says no, getting through to anyone who can help in a government institution sounds like a opportunity be driven insane.

My apologies if this is the "route" you've already tried, without success, but so long as you have your V11 and its all-important code this is the page I started from. Does it not work for you?

Just tried you link to be sure, no difference :(
Screenshot_20230312-171621_Edge.jpg

getting through to anyone who can help in a government institution sounds like a opportunity be driven insane.
Have you tried pretty much any large company these days? The one I've had most dealings with has been Virgin who farm the work out to somewhere in Asia where they have super strong accents, a script they cannot deviate from and an absence of any manager to talk to, or any other escalation point. But others have been quite hard to deal with too.

In comparison, I've usually been quite pleasantly surprised by the rare dealings I've had with UK government(-ish) bodies.

Everything on your image of your V5C is exactly the same as mine, at least in the part you show.

What about the right hand column which you haven't shown? They should be specific details of your Chassis Number and Engine Number. Because these should be unique to your car I don't think you should show them here but I think you should be able to check them against those numbers shown in/on the car itself.

Sorry, I don;t know exactly where you would find them on the car but I am sure someone in the forum who does know will be able to tell you.

Yes cropped the picture to exclude vehicle specific details. I haven't checked the vin against the vehicle but it's present on the V5.
Did manage to speak to a human at dvla. No explanation as to why but my only option is to go to a post office! Will I be able to tax online next year? They don't know but I am welcome to call them if I can't.

Glad you managed to speak to someone about it and I hope the PO can resolve it.

Was the experience of a call to them as bad as you'd feared?

I taxed mine (and another vehicle which is zero tax rate) about an hour ago, no problems at all. My details are identical to yours.

Glad you managed to speak to someone about it and I hope the PO can resolve it.

Was the experience of a call to them as bad as you'd feared?
Mostly.... First attempt went through all the menu options to be told too busy and they hung up on me. Tried the web chat answered all the robots questions got to the point of accessing a human the screen says error. Tried chat again the same. Left it a hour called again 15 minutes in a queue. Very pleasant lady but nothing resolved. Overall on a par with most call centres where ever they are in the world.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom