"Unused" Centre console switch

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
On my 2020 5 Exclusive there's an unused paddle switch next to Mode and KERS. It used to be for selecting battery indication but that was done away with and the switch is unused.

Has anyone accessed under the console and found out if the switch could be pressed into service? I have in mind just using it as a set of voltfree contacts wired to a spare garage door opener tucked under the dash.

If you did get to the console innards, how much of a pig is the job?

Thanks

I have the blank switch but pressing it still just brings up the range. I think it's gone completely in the newer versiond

I have the blank switch but pressing it still just brings up the range. I think it's gone completely in the newer versiond
Yes on the Facelift there are just two; mode and KERS. I wish the MG4 had retained them or perhaps followed the example of KIA / Hyundai and fitted a pair of KERS paddles behind the steering wheel spokes, but unfortunately you have to go into the menus or permanently assign one or the "Star2 Custom buttons on the steering wheel.

On the facelift MG5, are there customisable steering wheel buttons like on the MG4?
From glimpses of the dash in various review videos for the facelift, and reading a bit of documentation it looks like the right hand steering wheel button can only be used for things like trip meters, status reports etc while the symbols on the left hand buttons look as if they only control audio.

Not concerned about driving mode and kers as the paddles are reasonably easy to access, but would be really useful if air con temperature for example could be controlled from steering wheel. Does anyone know if this is possible please?

On the facelift MG5, are there customisable steering wheel buttons like on the MG4?
From glimpses of the dash in various review videos for the facelift, and reading a bit of documentation it looks like the right hand steering wheel button can only be used for things like trip meters, status reports etc while the symbols on the left hand buttons look as if they only control audio.

Not concerned about driving mode and kers as the paddles are reasonably easy to access, but would be really useful if air con temperature for example could be controlled from steering wheel. Does anyone know if this is possible please?
There's one customisable button which I have assigned to opening Android Auto. It's the one with a star on it.

OK, thanks. If there's only one customisable button it sounds like a no-go in terms of temperature up/down which would need 2 buttons :)

Yeah definitely. To be fair though, the climate controls are easy to access in the middle of the console just in front of the "gear" selector thing.

Yeah definitely. To be fair though, the climate controls are easy to access in the middle of the console just in front of the "gear" selector thing.
Sorry, being a bit dumb - do you mean there are real mechanical up/down temperature switches (if so do you mean on the centre console between the seats, or the row of buttons on dash below the infotainment screen?)..........or are you talking about touch controls on the screen itself?

On my MG5 it's a real mechanical dial. One for temp and one for fan speed. Some switches for air direction etc.
I thought the facelift did away with that?

The ZS facelift i've been lent has switches for fan speed and temp but if you want to change the airflow beyond windscreen clear you need to use the touchscreen.

I thought the facelift did away with that?

The ZS facelift i've been lent has switches for fan speed and temp but if you want to change the airflow beyond windscreen clear you need to use the touchscreen.
On the facelift there is temp up, down and on / off. Everything else is done using touchscreen.

'22 plate MG5LR it does nothing. EDIT: Wrong! it still produces the GOM range.

If there's only one customisable button it sounds like a no-go in terms of temperature up/down which would need 2 buttons :)

The other two buttons are two way so I suspect but don't know for sure that this would be too.

To be fair though, the climate controls are easy to access in the middle of the console just in front of the "gear" selector thing.

Got to agree with that. Why would you want to? The OP has a definite additional function in mind but I haven't had mine to pieces yet.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom