Updating the built-in satnav

greentangerine

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Anyone done this yet?

I created an account on mgtouch.naviextras.com and downloaded the Naviextras toolbox to my Windows PC.

Put a formatted USB stick into the car as instructed and ran the update which seeds the stick with the current information I guess and then ran the toolbox which tells me there are two updates available - one for the map and another for charger locations.

It has downloaded OK and now installing to the USB stick.

Final step is to plug it back into the car and run the update but worried it might brick it or something. Having said that, it's going into the dealer later this week to fix the dead radio module so I guess they could fix the satnav too if necessary.

I’ve not tried it. I tend to use Apple CarPlay (Waze) more than the built in satnav. I thinks it’s Tom Tom software isn’t it?

i am picking my new MG 5 on Friday so thanks for the reminder to ask them to make sure the updades are all done.

You can read about my woes with this in the ZS forum - bascially mine bricked but Naviextras support provided some restore files which sorted it, as the dealer was unable to (as I expected). The bad news is Naviextras no longer support these units for some reason, so if it goes pear-shaped, you appear to be on your own 🤬 Interesting side note, the dealer did not know anything about Naviextras and updating the satnav and at first said it was not reletaed to MG, when obviously it is :rolleyes:

You can read about my woes with this in the ZS forum - bascially mine bricked but Naviextras support provided some restore files which sorted it, as the dealer was unable to (as I expected). The bad news is Naviextras no longer support these units for some reason, so if it goes pear-shaped, you appear to be on your own 🤬 Interesting side note, the dealer did not know anything about Naviextras and updating the satnav and at first said it was not reletaed to MG, when obviously it is :rolleyes:
Perhaps Miles from Chorley MG would be able to add some clarity to this matter??

Given the manual supplied with the car tells you how to get updates for the internal sat nav, I'm not sure they can say it is unsupported.

There's nothing I've been given to say that and the Naviextras website doesn't say that either. How else can you update the map?

My wife's Zoe uses a similar process (i.e. USB stick to computer and then back to the unit) and that works fine.

Well I tried it and it got about 1/2 way through 'Checking files' and the head unit rebooted. Tried twice again and the same thing. Takes about 5 minutes to get to the failure point.

Doesn't appear to haver updated the maps but the sat nav still appears functional.

I guess it's another thing that doesn't work - given my Ford could update it's map via an SD card each year, I'm not happy.

Given the manual supplied with the car tells you how to get updates for the internal sat nav, I'm not sure they can say it is unsupported.

I'm not familair with the MG5 manual, so can't offer an opinion. All I can say is there are plenty of posts in the ZS section where people have received mails saying the unit is no longer supported. I was lucky, seemed I got in just before they dropped support. The restore files are also particular to each individual car.

There's nothing I've been given to say that and the Naviextras website doesn't say that either. How else can you update the map?

I'm not making this up! This was the support website, you can now see it's just a login page. At the Naviextras site here, when I was having problems I logged several requests for help. I didn't even get a reply :(

My wife's Zoe uses a similar process (i.e. USB stick to computer and then back to the unit) and that works fine.

🤷‍♂️

It's a shame as I quite like the satnav in the ZS, it's not as bad as everyone makes out once you get into it and set it up as you like it (y)

Last edited:
Naviextras page ...

Attachments

• 2021-01-26 (1).png
    2021-01-26 (1).png
    294.3 KB · Views: 493
I raised a tech support ticket with Naviextras and sent them the log file which the failed update generated on the USB stick. I got the following response ...

Please be advised that we do not provide technical assistance for the navigation device model that you have selected.

In order to find a solution to your problem, we kindly ask that you browse our knowledge base, where you will find useful information and troubleshooting articles. Alternatively, please contact the manufacturer of your vehicle or device.

So I guess I'll have to raise it with my dealer; don't hold out much hope TBH.

I raised a tech support ticket with Naviextras and sent them the log file which the failed update generated on the USB stick. I got the following response ...

Please be advised that we do not provide technical assistance for the navigation device model that you have selected.

In order to find a solution to your problem, we kindly ask that you browse our knowledge base, where you will find useful information and troubleshooting articles. Alternatively, please contact the manufacturer of your vehicle or device.

So I guess I'll have to raise it with my dealer; don't hold out much hope TBH.
Doesn't sound very optimistic but surely the dealer should be able to do something... Otherwise it's going to be a useless 'extra' feature on the Exclusive added to the roof rail issue. What next, the faux leather seats aren't real faux?! On a positive note, I really like the keyless entry 👍

You would hope the dealer would know, wouldn't you? When I went to mine with a bricked satnav, they openly told me they didn't know how to fix it, but would try re-applying the Comfort 2 update (and also made me feel like me updating the mapping files and it not working as a result was my fault). Lo and behold it made no difference and I was on my own and as I said before, I was lucky enough to get help before they ended it. If you need restore files for your satnav, unless your dealer can compile them for your vehicle or has access to a generic set, I think you'll be stuck I'm sorry to say. Outside of that the only way to sort it would be by replacing the unit I suppose! 😲 Far from satisfactory, isn't it?

You would hope the dealer would know, wouldn't you? When I went to mine with a bricked satnav, they openly told me they didn't know how to fix it, but would try re-applying the Comfort 2 update (and also made me feel like me updating the mapping files and it not working as a result was my fault). Lo and behold it made no difference and I was on my own and as I said before, I was lucky enough to get help before they ended it. If you need restore files for your satnav, unless your dealer can compile them for your vehicle or has access to a generic set, I think you'll be stuck I'm sorry to say. Outside of that the only way to sort it would be by replacing the unit I suppose! 😲 Far from satisfactory, isn't it?
Yes, far from ideal. While phone-based nav software is probably the best bet in the long run, this certainly negates the extra cost/added value to the model for having built in Sat Nav if it becomes obsolete due to this issue. Also, not exactly unreasonable to think that something you've paid for actually works properly...

Anyone done this yet?

I created an account on mgtouch.naviextras.com and downloaded the Naviextras toolbox to my Windows PC.

Put a formatted USB stick into the car as instructed and ran the update which seeds the stick with the current information I guess and then ran the toolbox which tells me there are two updates available - one for the map and another for charger locations.

It has downloaded OK and now installing to the USB stick.

Final step is to plug it back into the car and run the update but worried it might brick it or something. Having said that, it's going into the dealer later this week to fix the dead radio module so I guess they could fix the satnav too if necessary.
I started out to try and update, but I too found it really quite user unfriendly !!

Yes, far from ideal. While phone-based nav software is probably the best bet in the long run, this certainly negates the extra cost/added value to the model for having built in Sat Nav if it becomes obsolete due to this issue. Also, not exactly unreasonable to think that something you've paid for actually works properly...
If it is any consolation, my brother reckons the sat nav on his top of the range BMW is rubbish.

Ha! My phone needs a wired connection for Android Auto but some handsets will work wirelessly I think. That would be very neat...

Ha! My phone needs a wired connection for Android Auto but some handsets will work wirelessly I think. That would be very neat...
There's a crowd on indiegogo who are producing a wireless adapter for Android Auto - they are called AAWireless if you're interested.

I recently tried unsuccessfully, for about 20 mins to put a destination in my MG Sat-nav! I'm sure its just me, but some of us are simply not tech savvy at all!

The Tom Tom on my iphone....been there for many years, and I use it all of time. It has been unsupported for up-dates for a long time now. I have an air-vent cradle and plug it in the USB port and it does all I want.

I've got used to apparently driving through fields, rather that the new road I am actually on! But I like it, am familia with and will continue to use it until it stops functioning........or I do!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom