User Poll ZS EV Facelift user satisfaction.

Have you had any problems with the facelift ZS EV (if you have then can you post what these were)

• No problems, very happy

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Some minor problems, somewhat happy with car

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Some minor problems, unhappy with car

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Major problems, unhappy with car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big regrets buying it.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Minor problems but very happy

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
A few people have had their facelift ZS delivered. This is still a new car and not that many cars appear to have been picked up in the UK.
Unfortunately, there appear to be quite a few people having problems with their cars, either not fully charging or problems setting a charge limit, problems connecting the app to even bricking the car.
This has made me think whether I want to replace my first gen ZS with which I have not had any problems with something that potentially might be a nightmare.
Now, it could just be reporting bias where only people who have had (mechanical or technical) problems are bringing them to light whilst the vast majority are trouble free. I would like to carry out a poll for those who have already picked their car up and whether they are happy with it or if they have had problems and if so what and which model.
All replies will be appreciated.

I would like to carry out a poll for those who have already picked their car up and whether they are happy with it or if they have had problems and if so what and which model.
1 minor problem, very happy with the car so none of those options in your poll are accurate for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Like yourself, we had a ZS EV Exclusive for over two years and just under 20,000 miles, before we traded it in for a Trophy LR.
It is very early days yet, because the new Trophy is only two weeks old.
Purely in my opinion, I think the face lift model is a much better than the original model, without any doubt.
It just feels different to drive ( in a good way ) over the previous model.
When it's basically the same car in many respects ?.
But it's not !.
I can fully understand your dilemma.
You are happy with your current model and you feel jumping to the new model is taking big risk.
Well can I just say this.
We where one of the early adopters of the original ZS EV and as we all know by now, had it's had MORE than it's fair share of problems.
Been there, done that !.
It is important to say however, I really enjoyed the car, given the issues.
Otherwise, I would have not ordered the face lift model.
The issues on the original model are well documented here and therefore it has not been plain sailing for a lot of early owners really.
Later owners of the Gen1 model, did benefit from issues found by early owners.
I guess in this respect then, we could be seen as the new guinea pigs again on the facelift ?.
Let's hope not, because I think there has a LOT of good lesson's learnt on the Gen1 model.
I have no doubt there will be some niggles on the face lift, but let's hope they are small.
Many people are still waiting for there cars to arrive and this is frustrating I know.
We waited over four months for the first ZS and about the same time on the face lift.
Waiting does have a small advantage, that early adopters cars are picking up the issues that can then be addressed BEFORE your car arrives !.
A lot of the criticism's of the previous model HAVE been addressed correctly on the face lift.
I guess the easy way to put this would be to ask me the following question :-
"Would you go back to your previous model, given the chance".
Easy answer - NO !.
It is worth the wait I think, you would not be disappointed.

Very happy with our face-lift Trophy
A few frustrations with the infotainment system (seems a few steps backwards from the Gen1 ZS EV) as follows

Won't remember setting I.e.stay on a DAB station
Favourites on DAB visually very badly laid out
Bluetooth/Spotify integration very poor, interferes with Android Auto playback
Volume levels for media very inconsistent

One person has polled that they have big regrets buying the car. Can I request them to elaborate please

I love my ZS! Only annoyances have been with the radio switching to BT Audio randomly. Turns out it does it when I get a notification on my phone. And the MG iSmart app showing a security alarm warning which I can't clear because it can't get the car's GPS.

But these are minor issues that I hope MG will sort out with a few OTA updates. Otherwise it's a dream to drive. I come from a pretty sporty Alfa Romeo so having to learn to be a little less heavy footed, but even so getting around 3.5m/kwh at the moment

Loving our new Trophy ZS. We had the Mk1 Exclusive for the last 2 yrs so know what to expect.

Here are some helpful tips for new users:

If the Sat Nav screen sticks on current position and will not track the car movement then its because you have Dead Reckoning switched on in the settings. Turn this off and it works fine.

If the DAB radio does not work (blank screen) when you first get the car then leave it ON for 10 to 15 min so that it can search and find all the stations available.

The App can be used from 2 phones, on the second phone just login using the exact same login and password details as the first phone (don't register a new account for the second phone) and it will work fine. If your having trouble binding then connect the phone to the car via USB lead the first time, then it will be ok afterwards. The app sometimes takes ages or several attempts to connect to the server, it does not communicate with the car directly. You obviously both cant login at the same time.

If the infotainment screen plays up then hold down the mechanical home button for 10 secs to reboot.

There is a very quiet ticking noise which comes from the heater control module. Its the PWM control signal for the heater switching rapidly On and Off, turn the heater down and it slows down or goes away turn the heater up and the ticking gets faster.

As Vince31 said, the dead reckoning slider caught me out too. Does anyone else think that the online user manual leaves a little to be desired. My first attempt at rapid charging failed miserably on two different new high power Gridshare chargers. there is very little in the manual of how to set up the car to accept a rapid charge. Also no music folders in usb playback, difficult to get to play the album you want out of the over 4000 songs on the usb stick. Not got the Spotify app on android auto. All minor niggles that may get fixed with an OTA update.

Pleased with our Trophy, but haven't tried to rapid charge it yet! Can hear rattles from the sunroof and scuttle tray when temperature changes. Sunroof rattles have been improved with the use of silicon grease on sealing rubbers. Drive is very pleasant. Car was sold as being able to have over the air firmware updates for all ECU modules, but this now appears to be for the infotainment system only. Infotainment system has bugs and there have been no OTA updates to date. Communication between MG Motors and dealers appears to be very poor and there appears to be no impetus from MG to rectify issues as they are discovered many of which should have not made it to production vehicles.

Had the sat nav position not moving issue - fixed by switching off dead reckoning

Had the DAB radio issue - fixed by having DAB radio on and rebooting the infotainment system.

Still have the USB music not seeing folders issue - Messages MG support about it - as yet no answer - doing my head in - definite retrograde step in my opinion.

Other than that happy

A few frustrations with the infotainment system (seems a few steps backwards from the Gen1 ZS EV) as follows

Luckily all of those things can easily be fixed with an OTA update.

Which brings me to one of the grievances i have.

No updates of the infotainment, and no way of getting the maps updated, mine are still 2020 Q3

One person has polled that they have big regrets buying the car. Can I request them to elaborate please
I think there is atleast one person on here that has had to have the car recovered because it got bricked at a CCS rapid charger.

I would imagine that if that was me, i would have selected that option :)

What phone are you using for the Android Auto as usually, issues arise from the phone rather than the infotainment system used... I.e. older Android operating system, older phone or not using an updated build of Android Auto. Spotify is also an android auto app iirc so it sounds like it would be a phone problem instead of a car problem if you are getting interference with AA and Spotify.

Volume levels being inconsistent is common across many cars... I get issues even on Amazon music where one track is louder than the other, same goes for the difference between radio and Bluetooth, you have to remember to have your phone volume cranked up otherwise you will find yourself having to dial up the cars volume as well...

Delighted with our face-lift SR Trophy. I love driving this car, its such a pleasure and so far away from driving a regular petrol car. We will never go back. Some very minor annoyances such as not having artist or album files from USB but I expect this will be sorted. But in all honesty just loving it.

Pleased with our Trophy, but haven't tried to rapid charge it yet! Can hear rattles from the sunroof and scuttle tray when temperature changes. Sunroof rattles have been improved with the use of silicon grease on sealing rubbers. Drive is very pleasant. Car was sold as being able to have over the air firmware updates for all ECU modules, but this now appears to be for the infotainment system only. Infotainment system has bugs and there have been no OTA updates to date. Communication between MG Motors and dealers appears to be very poor and there appears to be no impetus from MG to rectify issues as they are discovered many of which should have not made it to production vehicles.
“many of which should have not made it to production vehicles.”

Having driven 6,000 faultless miles in my long range Trophy Connect, including a 1,040 mile round trip, I would be interested to hear of the “many” faults that I need rectifying.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom