• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

V2L upgrade?

MartinKS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Having accidently got the specs of the 2022 model and my 2021 one confused I got very excited about the new v2l cables that have been released.

Does anyone know if the old mg5 can be modified to use the cables? Or is there simply too much that needs changing for it to be economical?

Having accidently got the specs of the 2022 model and my 2021 one confused I got very excited about the new v2l cables that have been released.

Does anyone know if the old mg5 can be modified to use the cables? Or is there simply too much that needs changing for it to be economical?
For me, economics fly out of the window when we get a power cut and you fancy a TV dinner nuked in the microwave 😁.

On a serious note, I will be checking in to this thread as I am in the process of following another poster in installing a commando power point rigged up to two separate double sockets (living room and kitchen) so that if what Truss says won’t happen actually happens (safe bet), I would like to use my MG4 as a little life saver for a rustlers dino-scab burger and Wi-Fi

It won't happen, as you said too much would need to be changed.

So the rectifier in the old model isn't able to act as an inverter too, where the new one is?

If so do you know if they're comparable sizes so that one could be swapped for the other?

So the rectifier in the old model isn't able to act as an inverter too, where the new one is?

If so do you know if they're comparable sizes so that one could be swapped for the other?
I don't, you will need to speak to someone who knows about these things. It would be nice if it were a reasonable price upgrade but I suspect not as would probably need software updates as well as hardware.

Take a look at this video from a fellow ZS EV Gen1 owner from down under, about running an external inverter.

Take a look at this video from a fellow ZS EV Gen1 owner from down under, about running an external inverter.

Looks interesting. Inverters are such a mine-field though as a beginner, there are so many that have massive ratings, and there's very little way to work out which are reliable brands and which are a complete scam. I'll see if I can find a good guide somewhere, maybe for boat or caravan owners, who do this more often.

Shame we can't go direct from 400v to 240v though by the looks of it.

Looks interesting. Inverters are such a mine-field though as a beginner, there are so many that have massive ratings, and there's very little way to work out which are reliable brands and which are a complete scam. I'll see if I can find a good guide somewhere, maybe for boat or caravan owners, who do this more often.

Shame we can't go direct from 400v to 240v though by the looks of it.
It's not a constant 400v though is it.

For me, economics fly out of the window when we get a power cut and you fancy a TV dinner nuked in the microwave 😁.

On a serious note, I will be checking in to this thread as I am in the process of following another poster in installing a commando power point rigged up to two separate double sockets (living room and kitchen) so that if what Truss says won’t happen actually happens (safe bet), I would like to use my MG4 as a little life saver for a rustlers dino-scab burger and Wi-Fi
But please remember max load 2.5 otherwise you could overload or even break it.
And before I get correct in the fact there are videos showing more than 3kw in use the car is rated at 2.5kw on V2L.
Les

And before I get correct in the fact there are videos showing more than 3kw in use the car is rated at 2.5kw on V2L.
Les
I agree Les.
I think the car is likely to be cable of discharging / handling a bit more than the recommended 2.5 Kw’s and there will be some redundancy built in for safety.
MG would have factored in some “Fat” into the figures, for this very reason 🤣.
But I mean, what ever is stated as the Maximum, some people will want to exceed that figure regardless !.
If it was four Kw’s some people would still want even more !.
That’s just how it goes I guess ?.
A lot will depend the length of the time scale that you intended to overstretch the system as well.
Hitting 3 Kw’s for a short time period maybe okay, but never on a long term time basis I would think.
If you wanted to run a modern fast boil electric kettle that was rated at 2.5 - 3.00 Kw’s it should be okay, given the short length of time used.
But I would favour using a lower wattage travel kettle myself and then have some spare capacity to run the fridge etc.

Les
I'd be a bit careful of that too - all the inverters I'm looking at are rated at 2x the continuous for "burst" demand, so without some kind of "burst" rating for the insides of the vehicle I'd be vary cautious of burning it out!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom