• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Very Brief Red HV Warning In Info Panel ?.

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Today, we made our weekly trip to the super market.
We left home with approx 115 miles of range displayed on the GOM.
After only covering about 6 miles and on a decline section of dual carriageway, the car sounded a "Bong" and there was a very brief warning displayed in the large info screen of the dash.
The sun was directly hitting the info screen from behind, making it extremely hard to read it correctly.
I could JUST about make it out due to the sun, it was a solid ( not flashing ) red image, of what looked like the shape of a 12 volt battery, with then some text written above it.
As I started to read the text, the warning disappeared as quickly as it arrived !.
It made some reference to :- "H.V. ..........." - Then it disappeared completely before I had chance to read it correctly !.
Before leaving the car, I checked if the car was displaying any warnings stored in the info unit, but nothing displayed.
I have never seen this message before ?.
We continued our short journey and did our shopping, the journey home was a little longer, but no further warnings appeared.
I have checked the owners manual and I am unable to match what I though I had seen, with any info / images in the hand book.
Has anybody else witnessed this strange situation can I ask ?.
Just to say, that my car HAS received the latest 15.01.2021 BMS update on the 18.01.2021.
Thanks in advance of any replies to this question.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but these are all the things that popped up during my recording on running my car flat. Unfortunately it's in B&W as it was in night mode to get a decent recording.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 16.16.43.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 16.16.26.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 16.16.10.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 16.15.42.png

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but these are all the things that popped up during my recording on running my car flat. Unfortunately it's in B&W as it was in night mode to get a decent recording.

View attachment 2223View attachment 2224View attachment 2225View attachment 2226
Hi @JodyS21 .
Thanks for your reply !.
Wow ...... it was on the screen SO briefly, I did not even get time to pick up my phone from the cup holder, let alone get a shot !.
The first image you sent of the 12 volt battery ............ it was that shape alright, but it was a large red SINGLE battery image ( not multiple images stacked one behind each other ) with no diagonal line running corner to corner running through it either ?.
The actual 12 volt battery was displaying the Max level of 15 volts, so no issue there I think ?.
There was a "H.V." reference in the text, but I missed it sorry !.
Another "Phantom / Glitch" in the system I wonder ????.
The car was being driven very carefully, the outside temp was pretty chilli and we had stacks of range, so this should rule out a problem caused by heat or a low range report.
The car has only ever been charged twice on a rapid unit, so I would not expect to receive the "Charge using a A/C charger message".
I do like my wife's approach to these type of things.
"Well .........If it's something wrong with the car, it will do it again - if not forget about it".
There is something right in that line of thinking somewhere I guess ???????. LOL.

The warnings don’t stay around long enough do they? I’ve had a few occasions where I’ve failed to see them and they’ve gone form the warnings screen. The only thing i’d say is they can’t be that important if they don’t stick around!

The warnings don’t stay around long enough do they? I’ve had a few occasions where I’ve failed to see them and they’ve gone form the warnings screen. The only thing i’d say is they can’t be that important if they don’t stick around!
That is a both a very fair and honest comment.
I am not sure if it up long enough for the car to even log / record the event !.
Time will tell I guess ?????.

I'd put one of my little security cameras on the dash whilst I was doing the run flat test, otherwise no way I'd have captured them with a still photo.
They really should stay on for longer, or at least always be shown for the next few minutes on the warnings screen - not that many go to the warning screen.

Christ...I’ve been down to 3% and never seen these signs, but I do have the Eco, Sport and Normal graphics....lol
@JodyS21 could be another Bjorn Neyland.
Running his car that low !.
That definitely calls for a massive shout out of “Sheeettttt”.
He is down with C19 at the moment, get well soon my friend.

After only covering about 6 miles and on a decline section of dual carriageway, the car sounded a "Bong" and there was a very brief warning displayed in the large info screen of the dash.
The sun was directly hitting the info screen from behind, making it extremely hard to read it correctly.
I could JUST about make it out due to the sun, it was a solid ( not flashing ) red image, of what looked like the shape of a 12 volt battery, with then some text written above it.
As I started to read the text, the warning disappeared as quickly as it arrived !.
It made some reference to :- "H.V. ..........." - Then it disappeared completely before I had chance to read it correctly !.
Before leaving the car, I checked if the car was displaying any warnings stored in the info unit, but nothing displayed.
We continued our short journey and did our shopping, the journey home was a little longer, but no further warnings appeared.
I have checked the owners manual and I am unable to match what I though I had seen, with any info / images in the hand book.
Just to say, that my car HAS received the latest 15.01.2021 BMS update on the 18.01.2021.
Thanks in advance for any replies to this question.
I haven't seen a warning on the big infotainment screen, I only get them in the centre of the instrument panel behind the steering wheel

Christ...I’ve been down to 3% and never seen these signs, but I do have the Eco, Sport and Normal graphics....lol
You were probably too busy admiring your graphics to notice the very brief messages pop up lol
BTW, this was me running it flat on the driveway using the heater, not out somewhere on the open road!

I haven't seen a warning on the big infotainment screen, I only get them in the centre of the instrument panel behind the steering wheel
Sorry for any misleading info @Dave53 .
You are totally correct, the warnings are alway displayed the centre dash instrument panel area between the two clocks, behind the steering wheel and never on the infotainment / Sat Nav unit located in the centre console above the heater controls.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Sorry for any misleading info @Dave53 .
You are totally correct, the warnings are always displayed in the centre dash instrument panel area between the two clocks, behind the steering wheel and never on the infotainment / Sat Nav unit located in the centre console above the heater controls.
Thanks for pointing it out.
😂😂 Thought I was missing out on warnings on the infotainment screen, there are so many differences between cars, time MG standardised all cars to be the same.

Thanks in advance of any replies to this question.
Hi Dave we have also had a ‘bong’ and then a succession of warning lights which disappear and the car returns to normal. We have had this on a number of occasions and our garage cannot find anything or recreate the issue

Our car is currently conducting a full charge & balance, taking advantage of our all weekend off peak rate of 7p / kw.
With travel restrictions still in place, charging once a week at the weekend ( with nowhere to go ) suits us right now.
WHEN and IF the travel restrictions in Wales are eased, we will return to charging "As And When Required" by timed delay charging in the early hours or the morning.
I don't think there is any need for the MG Pro Pilot facility at the moment, I am pretty sure the car could drive itself too our local super market, it's the only journey it ever makes !. LOL.

Hi Dave we have also had a ‘bong’ and then a succession of warning lights which disappear and the car returns to normal. We have had this on a number of occasions and our garage cannot find anything or recreate the issue
Another example of "Random & Erroneous" warnings I guess !.
Just like when the info unit ( Radio / Sat Nav ) decides to suddenly "Black Screen / Shut Down".
If in doubt, reboot and carry on !.
We are driving computers on wheels, not cars anymore.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom