Video of HS failing to engage charging cable

D

Deleted member 3150

It’s booked in for 3rd Aug to investigate .,,,,,
ok failed to upload video - Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 cables, one that lives attached to the wall near the charger, and one that lives in the boot. The one on the wall rarely causes a problem. The boot one does.

The difference is the weight/stiffness of the cable. The boot cable is considerably heavier/chunkier/stiffer. Some people say you have to plug the cable MG end in last, however I disagree with that. But what I do have to do with the heavier cable is hold the MG connection firmly in place as the lock engages.

i hear allot of complaints about the lock engaging , or the cable, or the connection,.. or NOT charging when the car is unlocked,..
i dont have those problems,...!
ok i know if the charging plug is not all the way in,.. its trying to lock the cable,.. And it keeps on trying to lock it,.. untill i push it in correctly,.. then it locks,..
Mine even charges when the car is unlocked, it even locks the charging cable,...

You probably summed it up better than me, the heavier cable pulls the cable out unless I hold it in until locked.

It’s the same cable used on a ZS and a merc, and various visitors. The solenoid chatters gives up and tries several times before giving up or locking.

It’s the same cable used on a ZS and a merc, and various visitors. The solenoid chatters gives up and tries several times before giving up or locking.
I agree, it is definitely more sensitive than it should be, try holding it in place until you've heard it lock.

I don’t understand why it needs to lock the cable honestly. Having had the Leaf for 3 years MG charging is too complicated.
I use granny for a &HS and if the granny isn’t powered when connecting, HS fails to charge when at later point, Granny is powered on.

Elf and safety - always ensure your mains supply earth is connected at source first, then connect to appliance (car), ensure plug locks to avoid injury should auto sense disconnect fail on removable

Elf and safety - always ensure your mains supply earth is connected at source first, then connect to appliance (car), ensure plug locks to avoid injury should auto sense disconnect fail on removable
MG isn’t the first / original manufacturer of EV / Phevs. Creating / forcing different behavior compared to others results in bad user experience

Have you ever shorted out the terminals on a charged car battery, imagine pulling out and Re-plugging a live type2 under a fault condition. I once saw similar effect when an ICL engineer was expelled from the back of a HV DC rack with resulting smouldering hand and 2 day repair job.

Have you ever shorted out the terminals on a charged car battery, imagine pulling out and Re-plugging a live type2 under a fault condition. I once saw similar effect when an ICL engineer was expelled from the back of a HV DC rack with resulting smouldering hand and 2 day repair job.
Whatever - I fail to understand whatever point you are trying to make here

Last edited:
I don’t understand why it needs to lock the cable honestly. Having had the Leaf for 3 years MG charging is too complicated.
I use granny for a &HS and if the granny isn’t powered when connecting, HS fails to charge when at later point, Granny is powered on.
Never used a public charging station ? you dont want your cable to be unplugged or even get stolen

When using a public charging station, the cable is locked in at both ends, so can't be unplugged or stolen.
Yep i know, it was a response on the comment of hermitdave, he said: 'I don’t understand why it needs to lock the cable honestly. Having had the Leaf for 3 years MG charging is too complicated'

This is a real pain I have plug charger in hold it up slightly until the lock engages.
Then to maintain connection I have hold it and press the door lock button its a pain in the .....

I unlock car , open charging flap , then go to get granny charger. The car then self locks by the time I'm ready to plug granny charger in , hold plug for a few seconds while it locks . No problems

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom