• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Wakefield MG - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

I got a good deal on my MG5. They were responsive and efficient without being pushy. I had the car delivered to my door.

Everything was great apart from them shipping the wrong spare tyre kit. It was for an MG ZS EV.

After a little toing and froing but without any aggro, they shipped me the correct one.

All said and done, it was a good buying experience.

Until now I've chosen not to comment on my appalling experience trying to buy a ZS EV from Wakefield MG, buy as there has now been a positive reply, I want to counter in order to warn others not to assume this will always be the case.

As with everything, you need to do your own due diligence, but I am not alone in my experience of this dealer, I know of two others who were treated appallingly as well.

I ordered a car from them and paid my deposit of £500 as they did have a very good price at the time. However when my car arrived in mid February and I called to arrange pick up, I suggested I'd like to pick the car up after the 1st of March in order to have the newer registration. This was met with a refusal and bullying language advising me this would not be possible and if I didn't accept a pre March pick up, the deal was off and I would forfeit my deposit. After some escalation to management, this was reversed and I got a begrudging apology.

Come pick up day, I arrived to find the car had paint gouges to both front and rear bumpers, and a dented tailgate with a large chunk of paint missing at the point of the dent. I was advised I could have this smart repaired at home or fixed in their workshop and the car then delivered to me as a gesture of goodwill to save me coming back again. I was told I had no other options. The staff I dealt with at this time were all pushy and clearly used to bullying customers with problems into submission.

Anyway, as I actually wanted a new car rather than a damaged repaired one, I rejected the car and left, clearly to their great displeasure!

I found the whole outfit at Wakefield to be sleazy and reminiscent of the worst of old school car dealer stereotypes. If you do decide to deal with them, be prepared to be very cautious and assertive.

Until now I've chosen not to comment on my appalling experience trying to buy a ZS EV from Wakefield MG, buy as there has now been a positive reply, I want to counter in order to warn others not to assume this will always be the case.

As with everything, you need to do your own due diligence, but I am not alone in my experience of this dealer, I know of two others who were treated appallingly as well.

I ordered a car from them and paid my deposit of £500 as they did have a very good price at the time. However when my car arrived in mid February and I called to arrange pick up, I suggested I'd like to pick the car up after the 1st of March in order to have the newer registration. This was met with a refusal and bullying language advising me this would not be possible and if I didn't accept a pre March pick up, the deal was off and I would forfeit my deposit. After some escalation to management, this was reversed and I got a begrudging apology.

Come pick up day, I arrived to find the car had paint gouges to both front and rear bumpers, and a dented tailgate with a large chunk of paint missing at the point of the dent. I was advised I could have this smart repaired at home or fixed in their workshop and the car then delivered to me as a gesture of goodwill to save me coming back again. I was told I had no other options. The staff I dealt with at this time were all pushy and clearly used to bullying customers with problems into submission.

Anyway, as I actually wanted a new car rather than a damaged repaired one, I rejected the car and left, clearly to their great displeasure!

I found the whole outfit at Wakefield to be sleazy and reminiscent of the worst of old school car dealer stereotypes. If you do decide to deal with them, be prepared to be very cautious and assertive.
I feel it's very much the luck of the draw when it comes to car dealers.

Before I bought my MG5 from MG Wakefield, I'd been to a couple of dealers nearer me. The first sales guy was completely clueless and kept giving me wrong information. The second dealer was better but communication was terrible. Both of those dealers seem to have had good reviews on here.

I contacted MG Wakefield via AutoTrader. The sales guy, Scott, was everything the other dealers weren't. I only ever spoke to him via the phone or email. I was sure to be specific and double check every detail via email to make sure they couldn't move the goal posts later.

I can understand their reluctance to move the sale date forward after giving you a good deal as the reason they drop the prices is usually to meet sales targets. Fair-enough, they can back out of the deal but threatening to take your deposit is a bit dodgy.

Receiving a brand new car, at new car prices, that's not in perfect condition is really not acceptable.

Thankfully my car was delivered in mint condition. I felt the spare tyre mix-up could have been accidentally on purpose but was most likely a manager just being ill-informed about the compatibility (The tyre's the same but the toolkit isn't). I double checked with MG and then was able to go back to them with the correct information and MG Wakefield resolved my issue.

Hopefully we'll get a few more reviews so we can see whether this was a one off bad experience or something more endemic.

It's a few weeks since we got our MG5 from Wakefield so thought it was time to post my review. Up front, I'll say that it is overwhelmingly positive.

I made an appointment online (and followed up with a phone call) to go and see the MG5 after having done a bit of research online and compared prices. When we arrived we went through some basic details and Az looked after us well with drinks for us and the kids and then arrange for us to take the managers MG5 out for a test drive. We were able to put the kids seats in the back and make sure it was the right car for our family. We weren't given any time limit at all, just go for a drive and see how it felt.

We pretty quickly decided it was the car for us so came back to the dealership to discuss the numbers. They were keen to get hold of my Golf R estate in PX as they could see that through their Pure Cars dealership next door which may have helped. We did the usual backwards and forwards and agreed on a price equivalent to what I had seen elsewhere.

We went home excited and then I discovered the affinity scheme which we were eligible for and my heart sank that we had overpaid. I shouldn't have worried. A quick email to the dealership and Scott came back with the options and switched us to the affinity deal that afternoon.

I then had a few issues getting hold of somebody the following week to confirm when we could pick the car up but they were incredibly busy and understaffed and I probably wasn't being as patient as I should have been.

On pickup day, Bailey dealt with the handover which was a smooth and pleasant experience. The only hiccup being some swirls in the paintwork (not uncommon on black cars) which I have been told to arrange a time to go down and have sorted. However, I'll probably just sort them myself.

I had a follow-up call (or maybe two) from Az since picking the car up but other than this haven't had any need to contact the dealership again - just how it should be with a brand new car.

My experience at this dealer lasted about 5 minutes. I've explained this on another thread but to recap I was interested in getting my first look inside an MG5. Barely made it out my car before getting pounced on and straight into a part exchange discussion. No questions about my needs, my family type, my use of the car etc. Inside it felt like an episode of the Apprentice meets Carphone Warehouse. Throw in an Estate Agent and you've nailed it.

Left. Won't go back.

My experience at this dealer lasted about 5 minutes. I've explained this on another thread but to recap I was interested in getting my first look inside an MG5. Barely made it out my car before getting pounced on and straight into a part exchange discussion. No questions about my needs, my family type, my use of the car etc. Inside it felt like an episode of the Apprentice meets Carphone Warehouse. Throw in an Estate Agent and you've nailed it.

Left. Won't go back.

I think you've nailed the description right there Neil. lol!!

18 months ago, I enquired with Wakefield regarding a ZS ev as they reckoned to have several in stock and much cheaper than anywhere else at the time for a new one. I had been told by another Dealer that if I changed my mind then the deposit was refundable and so I asked the salesman at Wakefield. I was told point blank No! It’s not refundable. as they will have to order one in special and would then struggle to sell it on. Put the phone down and ordered one from Hull, no issues and happy with the level of service I now get, even if it’s an hour further to travel.
Now getting phone calls from Wakefield asking if I want to sell my ev through their forecourt! No way that’s happening.

Final straw for me was when I enquired about a tow bar for the MG 5, MG Wakefield were "100% certain" the 5 could be used for towing and tried to get me to test drive it. That's either very misleading or just a plain old lie.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom