• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Washing the MG4 - useful tip - place the wipers in the service position - here's how

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Gave my wife’s MG4 it’s first clean yesterday I must say it is not the easiest car I have ever washed.
There are lots of nooks and crannies to get your sponge into, and the black at the bottom of the doors
on the sills and the sills inside the the door frame apertures, where pretty dirty plus the front and rear black trims also, but I have done others almost as bad over the years black is not the easiest colour to keep clean in my opinion

So now for the word of warning, some of you that have been reading this forum for some while will remember that when the MG5 came, back in 2020, that a few people damaged the paint work on the rear edge of the bonnet, this happen by trying to lift the wiper blades off the screen while washing their cars, without first putting the wipers into the service position.

Well the MG4 is the same you need to place the wipers in the service position if you want to lift them off the screen to clean it, the wiper blades or the wiper arms.

I know a lot of you will know this, especially if you have had the MG5 for a while but, there will be new owners out there both new to the MG4 and to MG5 cars also, who may not so that is why I have done this posting.
Les

In the hand book page 301 it attempts to tell what to do but just in case your unsure here is what you need to do
Sit in the car touch the brake pedal to wake the car up and the home screen will light up.
D98CBC23-BB44-409B-A3DE-4C3C1F36A85F.jpeg

So now you press the Car icon bottom right see my pointer

45335EFB-DE76-4416-ACBA-AEAA9FB197F7.jpeg

Press that and the drive mode screen will come up.
2F135EAB-CB77-46DD-8E84-C03AB42EC913.jpeg

At the top you will see the Saftey icon on the right hand side. See my pointer again.

F008EEF8-4CAC-4178-92EC-040FBE608A2F.jpeg

Press the saftey icon and then the saftey screen comes on
8DB005BC-06CB-48A6-8686-705A69D67507.jpeg

So on the saftey screen press the power off button

56C08ABE-4E70-499B-9620-C5C4222D3890.jpeg

And then push the wiper control stalk down once within a few seconds and the Wipers will come up to the drivers side and stop there vertical on the screen, and then in that position you can lift the wipers off the screen for cleaning or changing if you need too.

Now just one other warning be sure to lay the wipers back down on the screen before you get back into the car reason being when you get in if you just touch the brake pedal the car will wake up and the wipers will go down again to there rest position and very probably damage the paint on the bonnet and probably the wiper arms as well so wipers flat on the screen befor you do a thing else.
You have been warned.

But I Hope this might be of some help to some of you.
Les

Last edited:
Gave my wife’s MG4 it’s first clean yesterday I must say it is not the easiest car I have ever washed.
There are lots of nooks and crannies to get your sponge into, and the black at the bottom of the doors
on the sills and the sills inside the the door frame apertures, where pretty dirty plus the front and rear black trims also, but I have done others almost as bad over the years black is not the easiest colour to keep clean in my opinion

So now for the word of warning, some of you that have been reading this forum for some while will remember that when the MG5 came, back in 2020, that a few people damaged the paint work on the rear edge of the bonnet, this happen by trying to lift the wiper blades off the screen while washing their cars, without first putting the wipers into the service position.

Well the MG4 is the same you need to place the wipers in the service position if you want to lift them off the screen to clean it, the wiper blades or the wiper arms.

I know a lot of you will know this, especially if you have had the MG5 for a while but, there will be new owners out there both new to the MG4 and to MG cars also, who may not so that is why I have done this posting.
Les

In the hand book page 301 it attempts to tell what to do but just in case your unsure here is what you need to do
Sit in the car touch the brake pedal to wake the car up and the home screen will light up.
View attachment 12238

View attachment 12239

View attachment 12240
At the top you will see the Saftey icon on the right hand side. See my pointer again.

View attachment 12241
View attachment 12242

View attachment 12243
And then push the wiper control stalk down once within a few seconds and the Wipers will come up to the drivers side and stop there vertical on the screen, and then in that position you can lift the wipers off the screen for cleaning or changing if you need too.

Now just one other warning be sure to lay the wipers back down on the screen before you get back into the car reason being when you get in if you just touch the brake pedal the car will wake up and the wipers will go down again to there rest position and very probably damage the paint on yet bonnet and probably the wiper arms as well so wipers flat on the screen be for you do a thing else.
You have been warned.

Les
That just gladdens the heart there Les, the age of chivalry and the shared sponge is enduring and very endearing, well done sir 👌

I know a lot of you will know this, especially if you have had the MG5 for a while but, there will be new owners out there both new to the MG4 and to MG cars also, who may not so that is why I have done this posting.
Les

View attachment 12238

View attachment 12239

View attachment 12240

View attachment 12241
View attachment 12242

View attachment 12243

Now just one other warning be sure to lay the wipers back down on the screen before you get back into the car reason being when you get in if you just touch the brake pedal the car will wake up and the wipers will go down again to there rest position and very probably damage the paint on yet bonnet and probably the wiper arms as well so wipers flat on the screen be for you do a thing else.
You have been warned.

Les
Well I'm one that would not have known, but of course I would have read the manual, wouldn't I. 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for that

I wish there was a area where the tips could be combined for future reference rather individual threads. Can it be done?

Alan
Hi Alan, well I’m not computer savvy at all as most people know but if there something I think I should save I stick the in my notes on my iPad under MG not sure if that’s the correct way but some one here will I sure.
Les

Thanks Les, I may start extracting from threads and compiling a quick guide and posting it somewhere for others to be able to browse. Like yourself and other members I have my own list but it would be good for the forum members to be able to dip in to our combined hints and tips.

Alan

Thanks Les, I may start extracting from threads and compiling a quick guide and posting it somewhere for others to be able to browse. Like yourself and other members I have my own list but it would be good for the forum members to be able to dip in to our combined hints and tips.

Alan
Yeh totally agree some the like an index in a vehicle handbook is what’s needed same applies to pictures as well for me they need something where you can look them up easily would be of great help I would think
Les

Les

View attachment 12238

View attachment 12239

View attachment 12240

View attachment 12241
View attachment 12242

View attachment 12243

Now just one other warning be sure to lay the wipers back down on the screen before you get back into the car reason being when you get in if you just touch the brake pedal the car will wake up and the wipers will go down again to there rest position and very probably damage the paint on the bonnet and probably the wiper arms as well so wipers flat on the screen be for you do a thing else.
You have been warned.

Les
Thanks, didn’t know that, useful.

Les

View attachment 12238

View attachment 12239

View attachment 12240

View attachment 12241
View attachment 12242

View attachment 12243

Now just one other warning be sure to lay the wipers back down on the screen before you get back into the car reason being when you get in if you just touch the brake pedal the car will wake up and the wipers will go down again to there rest position and very probably damage the paint on the bonnet and probably the wiper arms as well so wipers flat on the screen be for you do a thing else.
You have been warned.

Les
Thanks for the tip I’ll with my next wash

Les

View attachment 12238

View attachment 12239

View attachment 12240

View attachment 12241
View attachment 12242

View attachment 12243

You have been warned.

Les
Does this also work for mg5 long range 72 plate (not facelift)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back