• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

What can I do about waiting over 60 days for an MG4 repair? Advice wanted

mattsmg4

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello, please can you help me with some advice…

I bought an MG4 Trophy from Eden Swindon main dealer in November last year, it was sent back to them for its second infotainment screen replacement 60 days ago and due to a lack of spare parts the work still has not been completed. I’m worried about the condition of the battery while it has been stored for so long, but I can’t contact them by phone (it just goes to an automated handling system) and they have not replied to our emails. Should I undertake the 50 mile journey and just turn up?

I don’t consider 60 days an acceptable wait time. I’m very upset how difficult they are to contact, and I want to discuss the problem, but it’s proving impossible to contact them. I have sent a message to MG HQ and will see if they can help.

I don’t want to drive the car, as you can’t operate many of the functions, specifically the legally required fog light. If the problem continues I will reject the car, which is not currently fit for purpose.

What would you do?, how can I get them to talk to me and help me? Should I just reject it?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers, Matt

How long have you owned the car before it went back?
Have they given you a courtesy car?

I managed 200 miles before the first screen failure, and a further 200 miles when it went in again, so I have complicated 400 miles since I picked up the car on 21 November.

I was given a petrol Corsa, then an electric Corsa, but for the vast majority of the time we have been enjoying a MG4 SE. I’m just worried about my car doing nothing for 2 months, will that do any harm?

cheers

I genuinely don't know the answer, it's on a boat and at docks for while but probably sitting under different circumstances

I managed 200 miles before the first screen failure, and a further 200 miles when it went in again, so I have complicated 400 miles since I picked up the car on 21 November.

I was given a petrol Corsa, then an electric Corsa, but for the vast majority of the time we have been enjoying a MG4 SE. I’m just worried about my car doing nothing for 2 months, will that do any harm?

cheers

I would hope that if it is sat above 10% and below 60% it should be okay as that's where they tend to leave them for transport I've been told. But that is just speculation obviously.

The email issue might be the same problem I was having with MG Chorley Group Burnley. The salesman there said MG had change the dealer email system so the email addresses had changed and any old ones were just landing in an unattended inbox somewhere not in the dealers.

Maybe is if you can find a telephone number for their parts department or another team in the building and get them to put you through. I've done this before with uncooperative people I've needed to contact for an ex employer haha.

I'd try all that before making the round trip but if you do make out an invoice for your time and inconvenience and present them with it when you arrive. It'll probably not go anywhere but it's more making a statement that you've tried to be reasonable but now they have cost you money, time and inconvenience for something they should be keeping in contact with you over.

Looking on their website they have a live chat option who might be able to at least give you an alternative phone number.

Thanks for the live chat idea. I spoke to (presumably) a bot last night. It was quite a clever bot and promised to get them to give me a call today.

In fairness to the dealer, they leave a progress voice mail every week saying their is no news about the part, but I often can’t have my phone with me at work so often miss the call

I’ll update this if they ring today

Cheers

Matt

In fairness to the dealer, they leave a progress voice mail every week saying their is no news about the part, but I often can’t have my phone with me at work so often miss the call
Well, this changes things a bit, I'd say. They give you a replacement car and tell you every week that the part is on backorder. What else could they do?

Thanks Eber, that is a useful perspective, and a good point to make.

I think I’m upset with the whole MG setup that has caused a 60 day delay and no idea how much longer it will be, it is really frustrating to have a new car, but have to wait so long for it to be repaired.

I agree it’s not all the fault of the dealer, they can’t magic a part out of thin air, but a reply to my email concerns about the battery would be helpful. I still want the car, so I’ll just have to wait patiently for it.

I’ve done over 2000 miles in the courtesy car and most of the stickers have fallen off now. Perhaps it will eventually we a nice white car with no writing down the side. Thanks again Eber.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Eber, that is a useful perspective, and a good point to make.

I think I’m upset with the whole MG setup that has caused a 60 day delay and no idea how much longer it will be, it is really frustrating to have a new car, but have to wait so long for it to be repaired.

I agree it’s not all the fault of the dealer, they can’t magic a part out of thin air, but a reply to my email concerns about the battery would be helpful. I still want the car, so I’ll just have to wait patiently for it.

I’ve done over 2000 miles in the courtesy car and most of the stickers have fallen off now. Perhaps it will eventually we a nice white car with no writing down the side. Thanks again Eber.

Cheers

Matt
While the communication with dealer doesn’t sound ideal, the saving grace is that your car is sat there while you are putting all the miles and wear and tear on their MG4, which is a bonus. Hopefully it won’t be much longer for you and in the meantime, enjoy the care free motoring 👍🤞

Haha, there you go! ;-)

I wouldn't worry about the battery too much. Sometimes I don't use the car for a week and it doesn't lose even 1% SOC. Parts availability seems to be a real issue though.

Hello, please can you help me with some advice…

I bought an MG4 Trophy from Eden Swindon main dealer in November last year, it was sent back to them for its second infotainment screen replacement 60 days ago and due to a lack of spare parts the work still has not been completed. I’m worried about the condition of the battery while it has been stored for so long, but I can’t contact them by phone (it just goes to an automated handling system) and they have not replied to our emails. Should I undertake the 50 mile journey and just turn up?

I don’t consider 60 days an acceptable wait time. I’m very upset how difficult they are to contact, and I want to discuss the problem, but it’s proving impossible to contact them. I have sent a message to MG HQ and will see if they can help.

I don’t want to drive the car, as you can’t operate many of the functions, specifically the legally required fog light. If the problem continues I will reject the car, which is not currently fit for purpose.

What would you do?, how can I get them to talk to me and help me? Should I just reject it?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers, Matt
I’m in a similar position - with over 60 days at the dealer so far.
I owned it for 36 days before it stopped working, so couldn’t reject it.
Problem is, they keep finding new faults, which does make me think of selling the car anyway when I finally do get it back, as I have just lost confidence.
But then I look at the depreciation since it’s been in for repair (about £6000 so far) so think I am going to be stuck with a car I just don’t trust.
You can only reject within 30 days of ownership or if it breaks down after they repair it as I understand it. So, technically, you could have rejected it when the screen broke down the second time.

Well, this changes things a bit, I'd say. They give you a replacement car and tell you every week that the part is on backorder. What else could they do?
Agreed slightly different perspective now

Thanks everyone, I guess it is what it is. I’m really frustrated at how long it’s taking, but perhaps the battery isn’t going to be something to worry about. And, as you all point out I will have a low mileage car when it is sorted.

I can still reject it, but wouldn’t get all my money back. We would have to agree a figure. (You can guess my starting point for that discussion). When all said and done, I still want the car I ordered.

I’ll keep you all posted.
Cheers

Matt

I’m in a similar position - with over 60 days at the dealer so far.
I owned it for 36 days before it stopped working, so couldn’t reject it.
Problem is, they keep finding new faults, which does make me think of selling the car anyway when I finally do get it back, as I have just lost confidence.
But then I look at the depreciation since it’s been in for repair (about £6000 so far) so think I am going to be stuck with a car I just don’t trust.
You can only reject within 30 days of ownership or if it breaks down after they repair it as I understand it. So, technically, you could have rejected it when the screen broke down the second time.
Under UK rules you can still reject the goods if they are not fit for purpose and they have tried to fix once or have not fixed within a reasonable timescale.

Hi, I'm also in a similar position. I took ownership of my MG4 on 29th November. I received the letter for the locking recall. The update failed and the head unit broke. It's been a month now waiting for the replacement part with no idea of when it will arrive. I've complained to both M G and the dealership without much success and feel I'm being fobbed off. I have asked for full refund and waiting to hear back from the dealer. I have now a courtesy car but my issue is I'm paying for the car, PCP, and insurance but have no access to the car. I'm at my wits end with it all. I was enjoying my MG4 but doubt I'd buy another one.

Hi, I'm also in a similar position. I took ownership of my MG4 on 29th November. I received the letter for the locking recall. The update failed and the head unit broke. It's been a month now waiting for the replacement part with no idea of when it will arrive. I've complained to both M G and the dealership without much success and feel I'm being fobbed off. I have asked for full refund and waiting to hear back from the dealer. I have now a courtesy car but my issue is I'm paying for the car, PCP, and insurance but have no access to the car. I'm at my wits end with it all. I was enjoying my MG4 but doubt I'd buy another one.
And once again bad customer service ruins the whole experience. If they gave you a car from day one and compensated all your expenses - without much doubt you would have been happy.

Does anybody know what a reasonable time for repair is? Do I have to wait months before I can say enough is enough?

In consumer matters 30 days may be considered reasonable (in the absence of any alternative agreement). But this can depend on various factors, including the type of goods (and the impact on the consumer of their absence) and whether "time of the essence" has been notified to the seller. For a vehicle, then unless a courtesy car has been provided (for the duration of lack of access to the consumer's own vehicle) then I'd estimate 14 days as being a reasonable time frame. But IANAL so it is only my opinion.

As you can derive - there's no set, firm and fixed answer to your question.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back