• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

What is the GOM on an electric car?

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
GOM stands for GuessOMeter. It's an indication of the amount of range left. But because this varies in the real world depending on your driving style, weather conditions and the amount of hills you have to climb, it can vary wildly.
As the (gu)estimated range can vary so much, it's mockingly referred to as the guess ometer or GOM.

I prefer to regard the G as Guide rather than Guess. As you say there are many factors affecting the range so best to monitor progress and decide to recharge using the GOM to back up calculations.

I've recently achieved my best full charge GOM reading of 173 miles but there is no way I would plan a journey of 160+ miles without researching a top-up charging point. My strategy is to plot top-ups at around 80-100 miles allowing 30 minutes for a coffee and comfort break which gives an average of around 40mph for the whole journey however many miles that may be. The GOM is a useful tool to monitor progress.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom