Which Home Charge Point Do You Have?

Which Home Charge Point Do You Have?

• Total voters

Portgordon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am still looking at options for my home charge point installation and thought it might be useful to see what others are using. It seems to me that Zappi and Rolec appear to be the most popular, and I have see Stewarts videos on his PodPoint and Zappi installs, but with there being so many out there, and a lot of issues around smart charging or App control - does anyone have any specific issues or good points about certain charger points that could help others make an educated choice?

I've added a poll with the models I know if, feel free to add any others I might have missed.

My list and thoughts so far:
  • Zappi - Excellent if Solar is available or being considered. I don't have solar currently but might consider it in the future, however living in the north of Scotland I feel like it might be a waste of money (more research required).
  • Rolec - I like the style and variation of the Rolec Smart Home chargers, there seems to be a lot of issues with these and the ZS EV but I'm not clear at the moment if it is the chargers issue, the car or both. I.e. should it be avoided, or should we have faith that the issue will be resolved.
  • Wallbox - ScottishPower can install this wallbox if you move to their EV energy tariff. The SP branded version is not much of a looker though
  • EO - Very small and discreet chargers and can now also integrate with Solar installations.
  • EVBox
  • ProjectEV
  • PodPoint
  • Ohme
Any Others that can be mentioned?

Solar only worth it these days if you use what you generate thereby giving you a return (saving) of around 15p/unit in addition to (now derisory) FiT and export returns. Although you might break even, it is not really worth it if you are out around the middle of the day and won't use it unless you are doing it to save the CO2.

I am retired now although, I do bits now and then. 2 week days I am at home. So maybe in the summer can charge the ZS EV during the day. But on those days I run the family errands so you are right may be nothing to gain. I just wonder if things will be same after lockdown.

And even if you do go with PV, you don't really need a Zappi - just set the timer for between 10am and 3pm or so. Unless you get a large array (>4kW) or need a full charge for long runs on consecutive days, you could probably just use the granny charger and save the £300-500 or so on a 7kW charger. Pays for a lot of juice and still gives you 10-15 miles range per hour of charging depending on your pattern of use.

I was going to get a Pod point, i left a message with them at the beginning of March, the only replied when the Govt. subsidy was reduced, so they can get stuffed

We don't have a charger other than the granny charger. We are in limbo re a house move so waiting till we make the move and then an OHME tethered using Octopus Agile tariff. Choice is based on general research on here and FB MG ZS EV club pages. The timed charging for the low night tariff, not forgetting the two tier Smart day/night consumer unit installation of course.

I am still looking at options for my home charge point installation and thought it might be useful to see what others are using. It seems to me that Zappi and Rolec appear to be the most popular, and I have see Stewarts videos on his PodPoint and Zappi installs, but with there being so many out there, and a lot of issues around smart charging or App control - does anyone have any specific issues or good points about certain charger points that could help others make an educated choice?

I've added a poll with the models I know if, feel free to add any others I might have missed.

My list and thoughts so far:
  • Zappi - Excellent if Solar is available or being considered. I don't have solar currently but might consider it in the future, however living in the north of Scotland I feel like it might be a waste of money (more research required).
  • Rolec - I like the style and variation of the Rolec Smart Home chargers, there seems to be a lot of issues with these and the ZS EV but I'm not clear at the moment if it is the chargers issue, the car or both. I.e. should it be avoided, or should we have faith that the issue will be resolved.
  • Wallbox - ScottishPower can install this wallbox if you move to their EV energy tariff. The SP branded version is not much of a looker though
  • EO - Very small and discreet chargers and can now also integrate with Solar installations.
  • EVBox
  • ProjectEV
  • PodPoint
  • Ohme
Any Others that can be mentioned?
Hi
I had a Rolec but changed it for a Zappi, because it suited my solar panels. It also has the advantage of being programmable to use cheap rate electricity when charging the MG, the Rolec didn't at the time.
The Zappi is a smart meter (Rolec make them now) but to qualify for the OLEV grant you must install a smart meter.
I understand from YouTube the Zappi has some very clever electronic to do with safety and no need for an earth rod.
Redpiratepete

Hi
I had a Rolec but changed it for a Zappi, because it suited my solar panels. It also has the advantage of being programmable to use cheap rate electricity when charging the MG, the Rolec didn't at the time.
The Zappi is a smart meter (Rolec make them now) but to qualify for the OLEV grant you must install a smart meter.
I understand from YouTube the Zappi has some very clever electronic to do with safety and no need for an earth rod.
Redpiratepete
Incorrect - the Zappi is "smart" in that it needs an internet connection which means you need to install the Hub (extra £80 or so), not a smart meter. That means your supplier will eventually have the ability to delay your charge at times of peak demand. Unlikely to matter if you charge overnight. A smart meter is only required if you wish to take advantage of half-hourly tariffs such as Octopus Agile.

Definitely Zappi v2 if you have solar. It can be used with other Myenergi products and hard wired to your router. Very clever box.

Incorrect - the Zappi is "smart" in that it needs an internet connection which means you need to install the Hub (extra £80 or so), not a smart meter. That means your supplier will eventually have the ability to delay your charge at times of peak demand. Unlikely to matter if you charge overnight. A smart meter is only required if you wish to take advantage of half-hourly tariffs such as Octopus Agile.
Hi Mike, in response to your reply, I was trying to imply that the Zappi charger is able to control charging times in everyday use, after a software upgrade of my MG EV, so I now enjoy cheap charging courtesy of Octopus Go.
This is achievable without any wi-fi hubs or WHY so it is suitable for an MG EV straight out of the box so to speak!
My understanding is smart "chargers" are required to qualify for the OLEV grant now , and yes they will be able to be controlled ONE DAY by the energy companies in order to manage the National grid more efficiently, via schemes like V2G.
I would point out that I have a Myenergi Hub (Zappi) because I have 12 solar panels and the combination of panels, battery storage, and the Zappi charger allow the use of free (admittedly only on the sunniest of days)
electricity. Their app is very useful to understand how the solar energy, home consumption, the EV and the grid all interact with each other. Anyway that's what I think.
Redpiratepete

As a newbie I take it the "granny charger" is the 13 amp plug cable.
I have a solar array (3.8 kW inverter, 4.2 panel max output) with no FIT. I was going to try with just the 13a charger & if not suitable get a Zappi (already have a myenergi box to divert output to immersion heater).
However the video on the MG site says it is for "emergency use". Why would that be?
Thanks for any clarification.

Because the granny charger is too slow, but easy to plug in if needed, emergency’s only to get you out of trouble if you can find a socket.

I have a similar Solar PV set up. I tend to use the 'Pod point' charger as the cable dangles down where the car parks..very handy . .....but it would actually be more economic to use the Granny Charger (yes 13amp) But to be honest, the cost of the electricity used is dwarfed by the income from the solar panels. Ive just had a payment come in today. :) So its just not with faffing about with the other charger.

I've only ever used a Granny Charger of the PHEV ...which doesn't get much use these days anyway.
thumbnail_IMG_8363.jpg

Don't have a FIT here (did in last house). I installed the array to run the house electrics & charge the car. Not so economical yet but electricity prices are only going one way. I will see how the granny goes.
We do have free charge point a couple of miles away.

Hi Folks,
I have heard so much about Charging and now my EV Boffins have told me of a new concept call reverse charge. Apparently what it will allow one to store the charge in your car battery during the night or any low tarriff/ low demand period and then at high demand / high tariff peroids, the stored energy will be used by automatic activation of the stored cheap electricity. Apparently Tesla already has the tech and ? so do the Chinese but they are sitting on it till over 50% of cars are EVs and all EV producers agree basic minimum battery capacity. ? Tesla's aim to get all EVs to agree minimum range of about 400miles per charge. Have you heard about this reverse charging stuff?

Yes I’ve heard of it, mainly from YouTube channel “Fully Charged”. Apparently Leafs have this tech already built in

Hi members,
I have done about 300 miles now using TESCO free charging Pod Point. I after every charge at 40 minutes that gives me about 15-20 miles. Can someone tell me if there is a limit on many chargers I get from TESCO in one week?
I have to say parking at TESCO electric bays feels like its your own private parking spot and next to a trolley park to.

@Mike SOS,
Hi, at present I think it is charge as you shop up to a maximum of 4 hours per shopping session.
There is usually a small information board near the chargers that informs you of any local variations.
Most shop managers are not dogmatic about the EV charging points so far as you shop and do not overstay and/or there is no queue of EVs waiting for charging points.
One can charge as often as one shops so far as I am aware.
I do not think the Tesco charger provider pod - point limits the charging episodes but I will not be surprised if they have remote monitoring systems to ensure people do not misuse this free service.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom