Best 3 Phase Home Charger?

I am waiting for delivery om a new M.G4 comfort e.v, which will be the best home charger for me as I have three phase electric.
I notice your location is in Normandy so you might be better asking the question on a French forum but if you want to contact myenergi who make Zappi to see if they are available where you are you can email them at [email protected]

Another vote for the Zappi 3 phase EVSE especially if you have or are going to invest in solar panels.

What is the comfort model? We dont have that in UK.

Be aware that the standard range will only charge on AC at 6kw so a 3 phase wont help.

The extended range supposedly charges at 11kw so neither model makes best use of a 3 ph charger.

The 115-135 kw modes require DC chargers

What is the comfort model? We dont have that in UK.

Be aware that the standard range will only charge on AC at 6kw so a 3 phase wont help.

The extended range supposedly charges at 11kw so neither model makes best use of a 3 ph charger.

The 115-135 kw modes require DC chargers

Dunno 11kW is still 57% faster than 7kW, so if you have the ability charge 3ph it's worth it.

I am waiting for delivery om a new M.G4 comfort e.v, which will be the best home charger for me as I have three phase electric.
I've a zappi but not very happy with it as it's depleting my house battery during the day. There are hardware updates that can be made to correct it but a basic timer function in the zappi would have done the same. Just something to be aware of if you've an intention of having a battery installed in the future.

Dunno 11kW is still 57% faster than 7kW, so if you have the ability charge 3ph it's worth it.
Im not saying its not a benefit but i should have been clearer saying installing a 22kw and getting 50% functionally would be a disappointment.

Especially if you paid ££££ for 4kw increase when you expected 15

Im not saying its not a benefit but i should have been clearer saying installing a 22kw and getting 50% functionally would be a disappointment.

Especially if you paid ££££ for 4kw increase when you expected 15
But as they've already got 3 phase, why wouldn't they fit a 3 phase charger? They may not be able to use the full 22kW with the MG but they might with a subsequent car. It would hardly be disappointing to only get 11kW if you know it's going to happen due to the car. I recently had to use public destination chargers for a few weeks away from home and I was delighted to get on a 22kW charger even though I couldn't fully utilise it. It was still noticeably quicker than the 7kW ones.

They may have 3-phase capability at their property ... but they don't say what current rating is available for each phase. Unless it's at least 32A per phase (so something like an 80-100A fuse per phase) then they'll only be able to support 11kW charging anyway. :)

They may have 3-phase capability at their property ... but they don't say what current rating is available for each phase. Unless it's at least 32A per phase (so something like an 80-100A fuse per phase) then they'll only be able to support 11kW charging anyway. :)
Why do they need a 80-100A fuse per phase?

When designing the LV network we utilise PQ-D ACE49 or ADMD to determine load requirements for different types of premises. In the UK the standard loading expectation for residential is 4.6kVA if gas or oil central heating, so 20A on single phase (unless they ask for 23kVA (100A) as we're not allowed to diversify a 23kVA connection), EVs can't be diversified so at 7kW that's 7.36kVA + 4.6kVA = 11.96kVA or 52A single phase.

If a dwelling has 3ph we don't assume 4.6kVA per phase we assume 4.6kVA*1.73 unless disturbing loads are defined when asking for a connection or "additional load". Which is 7.96kVA + 22kW (correcting for pf 23.16kVA) = 31.12kVA or 45.1A per phase, assuming it is balanced across all phases, and you've not just put everything on Red (L1).

If there's any electric heating or heat pumps this all goes out of the window but as a guide above a 22kW 3ph charger could easily go on a connection of only 60A per phase.

I'll bow to your better knowledge ... I was merely highlighting (badly) that a 22kW 3-phase charge point may not be feasible in a (French) domestic setting. :)

Which is still noticeably quicker than 7kW. :)

I'll bow to your better knowledge ... I was merely highlighting (badly) that a 22kW 3-phase charge point may not be feasible in a (French) domestic setting. :)
In France the average domestic 3ph supply is 45A per phase so a 22kW would be at the top end but I'd assume they can load limit like we can in the UK so could set the charger with CTs to limit to 45A maximum, or makes such as Pod Point you can turn down the charge rate with dip switches and select 6kW per phase essentially giving you 18kW aggregate.

I've a zappi but not very happy with it as it's depleting my house battery during the day. There are hardware updates that can be made to correct it but a basic timer function in the zappi would have done the same. Just something to be aware of if you've an intention of having a battery installed in the future.
Unless I misunderstand, that's an unfair slur on the Zappi I think. It has much more than a basic timer and is otherwise very configurable. For example, whilst I don't have a battery, I don't want my MG4 charging during the day as that would cost me £0.42 / kwh (effectively the equivalent of your battery), so I have the Zappi set to charge 00:30 - 04:30 and can leave it plugged in for days without it taking peak charge. So I'd say the Zappi is not a battery thief if setup reasonably.
Sorry all this is a little off topic.
@nbenn I'm sure many of us here could help you over your problem, do ask ;)

Unless I misunderstand, that's an unfair slur on the Zappi I think. It has much more than a basic timer and is otherwise very configurable. For example, whilst I don't have a battery, I don't want my MG4 charging during the day as that would cost me £0.42 / kwh (effectively the equivalent of your battery), so I have the Zappi set to charge 00:30 - 04:30 and can leave it plugged in for days without it taking peak charge. So I'd say the Zappi is not a battery thief if setup reasonably.
The issue is how Zappi sees hybrid battery systems as the inverter will be seen as a non grid source of energy and if the zappi is set to solar will drain the battery.

If it's a separate battery inverter or if it's AC coupled you don't have this issue.

I've asked. Believe me. I've another thread on it. It can be done mostly successfully with hardware updates but the zappi doesn't contain a 'basic' timer. It has complex timers that work based on surplus load. My battery shows up as surplus and so the zappi depletes it. I'm not saying it can't be resolved but I don't think extra hardware should be needed when a more basic timer function than it includes would resolve it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back