Why am I wavering ? Need to make a decision

NewMG4me

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Thanks to all for your help with previous queries.

I have a deposit on a grey Trophy which the dealer assures me is onsite (I have a VIN on the order form) BUT I also have an Ioniq 5 on order through Leaseplan via a salary sacrifice scheme at work. This has been on order since May 22 and I have just been told wont arrive before May 23 at the earliest.

I sold my previous car 2 weeks ago on the basis that the Ioniq was going to arrive in Feb. I got a good price so not complaining but its a pain having to share car with the missus.

I found the MG4, test drove it (SE SR, it was all they had at my local dealer) and genuinely loved it. They couldnt supply a car for 16 weeks so I found the one I ordered above, seems I was very lucky. Dealer seems very good with the remote sale and I am scheduled to pick up in 2 weeks.

But I am wavering and I dont know why. The maths works in favour of the MG4. The lease on Ioniq5 is c£580 per month for 4 years which isnt much less than the cost of the MG4 and I would have a car at the end of that time if I bought the MG4.

The issues with oil leak / doors locking are worrying but both seem to have fixes (not convinced they have fully solved the oil leak) but I have more than one local dealer I can use to sort any issues.

I need to make a decision in the next day or two. Any advice gladly received.

Edit - I realise this a first-world problem :D

If you need it now the go for it.
The oil leak is well known and they have a fix.
The door locking also seems to have been sorted with a software update.

Which one would you wish you'd had if you got the other one?
Its really hard to answer that.
I test drove the Ioniq5 for 15 mins and pretty much ordered off the back of that. Its been 9 months since I sat in one.
I have done far more research on the MG4 - it ticks all the same boxes.
I think part of the issue is I am about to drop £33K on an MG.

There is no comparison between the cars, totally different parts of the market.
If I could afford to buy either I'd take the ioniq every day of the week.

In your scenario I'd go with the MG4 purely because your actually paying for a car that's yours.
I'm not a fan of leases, I know they suit a lot of peoples circumstances, especially in relation to a car for work. Id just rather pay for something that's mine, your going to be paying £6960 a year for 4 years to hand a car back with nothing to show for it at the end.
Just my thinking on the matter.

You can get Tesla's model Ys for under £400 a month on salary sacrifice leases, a lot cheaper than your paying if your really set on a lease

We have both. The MG4 is my commuter car and the Ioniq 5 is our family car.

Although I really like the MG4 very much after all the niggles have been sorted, I can say with confidence that the Ioniq 5 is a better car BY FAR. If you have to choose, have the Hyundai.

TZRh9hL.jpg

We have both. The MG4 is my commuter car and the Ioniq 5 is our family car.
Although I really like the MG4 very much after all the niggles have been sorted, I can say with confidence that the Ioniq 5 is a better car BY FAR. If you have to choose, have the Hyundai
This is really helpful - seeing them side by side. They are very different cars.

What makes the Ioniq so much better ?

You can get Tesla's model Ys for under £400 a month on salary sacrifice leases, a lot cheaper than your paying if your really set on a lease
Not on our scheme. My bro-in-law just got his Model Y - costs him upwards of £800 per month actual money from his pay. Plus the ride is awful.

I am absolutley not set on a lease - it is a £0 down way of getting an EV, all maintenance and insurance is included. Sounds like a dream right ? But if I leave the company it goes back, nothing to show for it and as its salary sacrifice, my pension is impacted.

I like to pay cash for my car. I could get an Ioniq5 second hand for circa £40K (12-18 months old) but I am not comfortable paying much money out, hence the MG4 came up.

EDIT - I should add the Mrs really doesnt like the looks of the Ioniq5. I disagree with her but I also love the MG4 looks.

Last edited:
Not on our scheme. My bro-in-law just got his Model Y - costs him upwards of £800 per month actual money from his pay. Plus the ride is awful.

I am absolutley not set on a lease - it is a £0 down way of getting an EV, all maintenance and insurance is included. Sounds like a dream right ? But if I leave the company it goes back, nothing to show for it and as its salary sacrifice, my pension is impacted.

I like to pay cash for my car. I could get an Ioniq5 second hand for circa £40K (12-18 months old) but I am not comfortable paying much money out, hence the MG4 came up.
That was my thinking with regards the lease they are not for me.
If you are happy to pay £40k for a car there are a lot of good EV's, I have driven a few and at that price bracket there are some great cars.
Depends on your deal with MG is it pre price rise cash only?

That was my thinking with regards the lease they are not for me.
If you are happy to pay £40k for a car there are a lot of good EV's, I have driven a few and at that price bracket there are some great cars.
Depends on your deal with MG is it pre price rise cash only?
I'm not happy about paying £40K for a car. MG is list price, they would not budge at all on price.

Thanks to all for your help with previous queries.

I have a deposit on a grey Trophy which the dealer assures me is onsite (I have a VIN on the order form) BUT I also have an Ioniq 5 on order through Leaseplan via a salary sacrifice scheme at work. This has been on order since May 22 and I have just been told wont arrive before May 23 at the earliest.

I sold my previous car 2 weeks ago on the basis that the Ioniq was going to arrive in Feb. I got a good price so not complaining but its a pain having to share car with the missus.

I found the MG4, test drove it (SE SR, it was all they had at my local dealer) and genuinely loved it. They couldnt supply a car for 16 weeks so I found the one I ordered above, seems I was very lucky. Dealer seems very good with the remote sale and I am scheduled to pick up in 2 weeks.

But I am wavering and I dont know why. The maths works in favour of the MG4. The lease on Ioniq5 is c£580 per month for 4 years which isnt much less than the cost of the MG4 and I would have a car at the end of that time if I bought the MG4.

The issues with oil leak / doors locking are worrying but both seem to have fixes (not convinced they have fully solved the oil leak) but I have more than one local dealer I can use to sort any issues.

I need to make a decision in the next day or two. Any advice gladly received.

Edit - I realise this a first-world problem :D
I think you have spent too long reading other people’s problems on here. That’s destabilising

I should make this my last post on here. I have nothing good to say about the MG at all now and that's not fair on others here. It was just rubbish as far as I am concerned, too many problems, it even looked cheap, so, so glad I got my money back.

Oil leak, locked in, rubbish seats, discernable vibration on steering wheel at 70mph, under tray warped, even a suspect window dropping at the end....

Bye!

Can a moderator delete my account please?

This is really helpful - seeing them side by side. They are very different cars.

What makes the Ioniq so much better ?
Well, they are not really comparable to begin with. No one would compare cars of completely different sizes if they were ICE cars. The Ioniq 5 is somewhere between a BMW X3 and X5 whereas the MG4 is the size of a Golf. The cars are competent in their own class, but that's where it ends.

The Ioniq 5 is a really big car, boasting a 3m wheel base which results in Mercedes S-class interior space. And that is not my sentiment, it's the verdict of the German motor press (which is known to hate non-domestic brands). The driver assistance of the Hyundai is excellent, absolutely on par with Tesla.

The Ioniq 5 is just a different class and it's not fair to compare the MG4 to it in my opinion.

He is my 2 pennies worth.
Buy with your head and not with your heart, buy what your need and not what you want ! ;).
It's not a direct comparison in all fairness is it really ?.
Take another look at @Eber post and comments above.
He has absolutely nailed it !.
The MG4 is smaller car and cheaper, the 5 is a much larger family car and therefore more expensive.
Who is going to be driving the car ?.
There is no way my wife would drive that 5 - the size would scare her to death.
If I had to chose just one and the price was NOT an issue, I would go for the 5 - there done !.

Well, they are not really comparable to begin with. No one would compare cars of completely different sizes if they were ICE cars. The Ioniq 5 is somewhere between a BMW X3 and X5 whereas the MG4 is the size of a Golf. The cars are competent in their own class, but that's where it ends.

The Ioniq 5 is a really big car, boasting a 3m wheel base which results in Mercedes S-class interior space. And that is not my sentiment, it's the verdict of the German motor press (which is known to hate non-domestic brands). The driver assistance of the Hyundai is excellent, absolutely on par with Tesla.

The Ioniq 5 is just a different class and it's not fair to compare the MG4 to it in my opinion.
100% Agree !.
Not a good "Horses for horses" comparison at all.

The MG4 is a really nice car and very enjoyable to drive. I have no doubt at all that you would love it if you decide to get one. Up to you.

Forgot to ask, what where you driving previously ?.
That may help to offer some guidance, as we don't know what level to set the bar in all fairness ?.

Forgot to ask, what where you driving previously ?.
That may help to offer some guidance, as we don't know what level to set the bar in all fairness ?.
I had a Merc C class estate. The wife has a Touareg 3 litre V6 which is massive. We don’t need 2 big cars, both the kids have their own so it’s very rare anyone is ever in the back of mine or the Mrs’s cars.
Usage for me is to the office twice a week (50 mile return) and pottering around locally. I do need to be able to get over to see my elderly Mum (160 miles round trip) every month or so and, at a push, get to Southampton (200 miles each way) to see my daughter but that is rare and we’d probably take the Touareg anyway.

Also need to get the dog in the boot but that isn’t an issue.

Ioniq5 is very very lovely but it does feel overkill for my requirements.

Thanks, everything you mention makes sense. 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel