Will the pandemic adversely affect EV battery life?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loads of EV’s have been sitting around during lockdowns on full charge getting little use - some for over 12 Months. Whilst some have not left their cars fully charged during this time others have. Will we see a knock on effect in a few years with batteries degrading early?

As far as I have been told it will only affect the battery if left above 80% for a long time...I think it will affect the cars in other ways but that includes all cars

Slightly different but related question.

Annoyingly I have to go for essential business working trip from Heathrow for 4 weeks plus return quarantine in April. This will be my first parking trip in my new MG5. Its going to be sitting in the car park at the airport for 6 weeks.

With my old ICE Mondeo, of course, I knew if I parked up with a full tank then its going to be the same when I return.

Does anyone have any experience with these EV batteries being left over such a long time? Wondering if I should park up with say 70% charge to reduce any long term damage, but I'm more concerned with being able to drive away when let out of prison errr, I mean quarantine!

Mine will probably suffer - hardly using it at all due to no work/lockdown. Only trip we make is for our weekly shop, I don't know how so many people can do so many miles during lockdown. The traffic here is getting back to normal now.

Annoyingly I have to go for essential business working trip from Heathrow for 4 weeks plus return quarantine in April. This will be my first parking trip in my new MG5. Its going to be sitting in the car park at the airport for 6 weeks.

Whilst I don't want to sound selfish, I will be looking forward to any updates you'd care to share when you're 'released' as to how your car fared. I must admit, it's one of the things that puts me off taking it to the airport when my family and I eventually get on our next holiday. I'd heard horror stories about travellers returning to near 'empty' cars but had just enough to get them to the nearby charger (lucky!) and, obviously had to wait for an hour to get the car charged.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Whilst I don't want to sound selfish, I will be looking forward to any updates you'd care to share when you're 'released' as to how your car fared. I must admit, it's one of the things that puts me off taking it to the airport when my family and I eventually get on our next holiday. I'd heard horror stories about travellers returning to near 'empty' cars but had just enough to get them to the nearby charger (lucky!) and, obviously had to wait for an hour to get the car charged.

Cheers

Bloggsy
I’ll be sure to update the forum whilst I wait for the AA! TBH should be ok to get somewhere from what I know of the chemistry.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom