• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Would you buy an MG 4 again?

Scurry1974

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have had the MG 4 since November and not been able to use the satnav or remote features. The climate control is unpredictable (set to 23 and it still keeps the aircon on) and the screen flicker and freezes (radio and music froze for an hour on a long trip) from time to time. The garage has not been able to replace the head unit or fix any of the issues.

Am I alone on this and have a dud model or is this a common set of issues? Should I reject it and be done? Some help would be appreciated.

A couple of things about the climate control. The temperature read-out seems to be too high by about 5 degrees on most cars, so if you're seeing 23 the car is probably trying to give you 18. Also, the A/C (at least in my car) is switchable on and off by the driver, it doesn't cut in and out depending on the temperature it's trying to reach. So you can set 23 (and it will probably "hear" 18), and separately you can tell it whether or not to use aircon.

On a warm day I often run it at 25 or 26 with aircon on and it's very comfortable. I just treat it as if I'd set 20 or 21 on my previous car.

Set a time limit in writing. The MG4 seems to be a fine car, but your specific one may be not.

Unless he wants it back, no need.
He can start the rejection process right now, by stating they had opportunity to fix it and have failed to do so.
The ‘holy grail’ is them admitting they cannot fix the fault on email.
If he has that, kaboom.

Last edited:
I have had the MG 4 since November and not been able to use the satnav or remote features. The climate control is unpredictable (set to 23 and it still keeps the aircon on) and the screen flicker and freezes (radio and music froze for an hour on a long trip) from time to time. The garage has not been able to replace the head unit or fix any of the issues.

Am I alone on this and have a dud model or is this a common set of issues? Should I reject it and be done? Some help would be appreciated.
Let's just first check a few things. Many people find that the MG4's temperature setting is 3-5 degrees higher than in most cars, so you may need to apply an offset to get a comfortable temperature. It should be repeatable at different temperatures, so once you've found the setting that works for you, you can just leave it there and it will warm/cool as appropriate.

You can reboot the main screen by holding down the 'home' button for 10 seconds. If you are persistently getting flicker and freezes then probably it either needs some software updates or there is a fault with the unit. Some people have had these faults fixed via software updates, others by a replacement screen unit.

I used the local Hendy dealer and they have been really poor. They believe it is the head unit and replaced it once but couldnt get it to work. They are now saying it was a faulty batch and there are none in the country.

Seven weeks without the car! It's unfit for purpose.

I can't believe what some people put up with. It's a cheap car, as EV's go, but it should still work!
The MG range may be inexpensive, but, they provide an opportunity for those who cannot afford a Tesla or European EV to enjoy the EV experience.

I used the local Hendy dealer and they have been really poor. They believe it is the head unit and replaced it once but couldnt get it to work. They are now saying it was a faulty batch and there are none in the country.

Is it on PCP via MG finance (which is Santander)

@Scurry1974 Is that the Crawley one? They’re in a bit of disarray at the moment because of their rebuild and everything’s being done in the Hendy Ford bit just down the road.

If I could afford another one, I’d buy the MG4 again. We’ve been so impressed with EVs that we’re actually thinking of an e-Golf for to replace another petrol car (convertible 2010 Beetle) we have

I have to say I love the car. Which I've had for less than seven weeks, but still...

I have some gripes, and these have been aired here quite freely, but they're annoyances, not serious defects. I know it's not as highly specced as the Golf it replaced (sunroof, heated seats, dual heating control etc) but having said that it's also nearly 14 years newer than the Golf. Some of that is good, in that there are features I could barely have dreamed of in the Golf, but some of it is bad in that there are things about modern cars that I'm not a fan of (no spare wheel, LKA etc.)

I don't have oil leaks, or undertray problems, or loss of power/speed, or indeed any of the issues that have plagued the unlucky. It's a joy to drive, and can I put up with things like the temperature readout, the idiotic USB behaviour, the app working fine when I'm checking it and not when I really need it, the automatic locking, LKA being a pain to switch off and the under-sensitive lighting system? You bet I can, give that I only had to raid my investmet bond for £24,000 to buy the thing.

Most of the niggles I have could be fixed with software tweaks too. Maybe if enough people moan, that could happen? (Nah, who am I kidding.)

In a thread where a guy is asking for advice about rejecting, is there really any point or need for posts telling the world your car doesn’t have any issues?
Really..?

Fair point, if they are going by thread title alone and don’t read his post ( I agree the thread title is a bit weird given the first post )
Even reading the original post, it’s not definitive he wants to reject it, quote:
“Am I alone on this and have a dud model or is this a common set of issues? Should I reject it and be done? Some help would be appreciated.”

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back