ZS EV Alternatives

AreFriendsElectric

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
The prices for the revised Kia e-niro (or now just Niro) have been released today.

Personally I would say that the Niro is the most comparable to the ZS EV LR in terms of price bracket, size of interior & luggage space & charging speeds.

The SE rough equivalent starts at £34,995.

The Trophy rough equivalent at £37,745.

So looking at the specs, it is a smaller battery pack 68.4kwh, higher bhp 201 yet claims will do 285 miles... something smells a little off there. Plus in real terms for most people who have already ordered a ZS EV, they would have saved between 3 amd 4 thousand courtesy of the plug in grant and mg deposit contribution, so at the moment, for most of us... there is literally no comparable car from another manufacturer that satisfies THAT price, range and level of equipment. It is literally the only reason I haven't cancelled yet, because there is nothing equivalent for the money I paid for my ZS EV order.

Screenshot_20220402_164121.jpg

?

They are known to be very efficient.

I agree completely. It would be another £7k for me (before any dealer discounts) for some marginal improvements. Interesting comparison I think nonetheless.

So looking at the specs, it is a smaller battery pack 68.4kwh, higher bhp 201 yet claims will do 285 miles... something smells a little off there. Plus in real terms for most people who have already ordered a ZS EV, they would have saved between 3 amd 4 thousand courtesy of the plug in grant and mg deposit contribution, so at the moment, for most of us... there is literally no comparable car from another manufacturer that satisfies THAT price, range and level of equipment. It is literally the only reason I haven't cancelled yet, because there is nothing equivalent for the money I paid for my ZS EV order.
I think Kia state the usable battery pack size and are more realistic on their range figures, they seem to be more efficient than the ZS.
I was looking at the Soul (Maxx) as an alternative, if you don't need the boot space then the price difference is closer.

View attachment 8009View attachment 8010starting to really like them bigger boot and the dash has the sat nav on it
Not going to lie I like the look of it... the range is based on the old NEDC testing which according to reviews I have seen puts it in the ball park of the Vauxhall Mokka, Corsa and the Peugeot e308 territory with a real world range of about 200 miles... I also cannot find any information about it on Ssanyongs website which is a shame because the petrol Korando is a very good looking car.

I was looking at the Soul (Maxx) as an alternative, if you don't need the boot space then the price difference is closer.
Among the ZS EV, Soul and Niro which one has the most boot space? The soul is about half a foot short than the other two so should be the smallest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes not for everyone but at the same time I don't think it can be ignored?
Oh if it was a viable option for me in terms of range & battery capacity (given my annual milage I’d rather have more capacity to maintain battery health) I’d take great delight in telling my lease company & MG to take a running jump.

If I had the money I’d probably get a eMokka to tide me over- there appears to be a lot of new/sub 5k cars in stock- but not in possession of £28k going spare

In practical terms the Korando makes sense and if you like the look/feel imagine it could be tempting. What concerns me is Ssangyong have had a bit of a history of going bankrupt and being reborn etc and whether the parts will continue to be available.

Kia appears the more “premium” product and I would expect better residuals making this potentially more cost effective over longer term?

Has any PCP pricing been released for the Kia yet?

In practical terms the Korando makes sense and if you like the look/feel imagine it could be tempting. What concerns me is Ssangyong have had a bit of a history of going bankrupt and being reborn etc and whether the parts will continue to be available.

Kia appears the more “premium” product and I would expect better residuals making this potentially more cost effective over longer term?

Has any PCP pricing been released for the Kia yet?
We live in incredible times, when someone says that the Kia seems like the more Premium feel.. :ROFLMAO:

Kia has in the past mostly stood for the things Dacia now stands for.... (Not very good, not very safe, but cheap cheap cheap)

We live in incredible times, when someone says that the Kia seems like the more Premium feel.. :ROFLMAO:

Kia has in the past mostly stood for the things Dacia now stands for.... (Not very good, not very safe, but cheap cheap cheap)
Very true. I found the same myself when I test drove the VW ID3 and then the MG ZS, and found the latter had a better interior!

Same with Hyundai, in the 80s the Hyundai Pony was one of the fastest depreciating cars ever, a 5 or 6 year old example was valued at £20 in the Parkers price guide books. :LOL:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom