ZS EV facelift

SCB86

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV

Would be nice to have the 310 mile range, LED headlights, digital dash and climate control that's being touted.

Would be nice to have the 310 mile range, LED headlights, digital dash and climate control that's being touted.
Still looks similar to the current model, was expecting it to follow the new ICE style...very strange

Really it will be about 210 summer miles..

Why....
coz the recently released one in India that claims 419km is no different to ours... It's just a gimmick ... too put it on parity to the Hyundai kona's stats gimmick too.
The evidence for that is there was no increase range produced in the domestic Chinese market. So facelift 500km is an extra 80km so another 50miles on top of what we currently have.

Really it will be about 210 summer miles..

Why....
coz the recently released one in India that claims 419km is no different to ours... It's just a gimmick ... too put it on parity to the Hyundai kona's stats gimmick too.
The evidence for that is there was no increase range produced in the domestic Chinese market. So facelift 500km is an extra 80km so another 50miles on top of what we currently have.
It would be interesting to know if they get the same 7 year warranty on the HV battery.
Maybe they have altered the BMS to give them the full 455v (or more ?) and then allow it run down lower, to get the extra range, forfeiting part of the warranty in the process.

It would be interesting to know if they get the same 7 year warranty on the HV battery.
Maybe they have altered the BMS to give them the full 455v (or more ?) and then allow it run down lower, to get the extra range, forfeiting part of the warranty in the process.
I've had a thought about this magic extra range on the indian version.

The wheels have been changed to 215/55/17 (to give the higher ride clearance).
Ours are 215/50/17 - unless I'm mistaken.

Calculation:
215/55/17 = circumference of 209.8cm
215/50/17 = circumference of 203.1cm

So it's changed the gearing effectively.
Wheel 1000rpm = 60000rph = (@209.8cm circ) 125.88kmph
Wheel 1000rpm = 60000rph = (@203.1cm circ) 121.86kmph

For the same wheel rpm the distance will increase by 3.30%
If it doesn't alter power efficiency - I've not idea if it does, then our of 163 range + 3.3% = 168.4.
Hmm that still doesn't match their new magical extra range does it!!!!!! lol

Calculation:

If it doesn't alter power efficiency - I've not idea if it does, then our of 163 range + 3.3% = 168.4.
Larger rims usually have reduced range according to other manufacturers specifications on their options list they state the range according to tyre size.

Still looks similar to the current model, was expecting it to follow the new ICE style...very strange
I'm sure it will be identical for cost saving reasons.

People mustn't confuse the 2022 (rumored) long range facelift with the current 2021 (confirmed) refresh for the Indian market. Those are 2 different cars.

It's just an artist sketch of what they think it will look like. Complete conjecture.

Calculation:

I think any distance gained by the larger rolling radius of the tyres will be lost in the slight increase in the rolling resistance.

I too was surprised by the increased range quoted for the 2021 ZS EV in India. There's very little useful information how that was achieved.

I'll take two details as given for some thought experiments:
1) India has energy efficiency standards and driving cycles, these should not have changed, and it should not matter which company does the test
2) The manager specifically pointed out that the new model has a "New High Tech High Voltage Battery"

In the absence of any additional information about the new battery in India, I've come up with 2 possible explanations how the same 44.5kWh rated capacity can give such different ranges.

First it could be the way capacity is measured.

The nominal capacity of our battery is 44.5kWh, but we can't ever fully use it. To ensure longevity of the battery they don't allow us to completely discharge it. Various sources online suggest an actual usable capacity of only 42kWh. If the new battery either allows to be completely discharged, or they chose to specify the actual usable capacity (with nominal capacity perhaps around 47kWh), that would explain about 5% difference in new range.

Also about how capacity is measured: we don't even know how it is defined in the first place. What if for old batteries the capacity was defined as how much energy needs to be delivered to the battery to charge from empty to full, while now it is defined as how much energy can be drawn from the battery to go from full to empty? Difference between the two: about 10% in losses. If that was the case, the new battery would be 10% bigger than the old one and would still only be called 44.5 kWh.

Second: if the new battery allows higher charge currents that would allow KERS to recover more energy (i.e. set KERS to 4 or 5).

With the time I wanted to spend on research I did not find the actual drive cycle used for India, but traffic density there is a lot higher than most places, so they should benefit a lot from higher energy recovery. We might get the same in city driving, but would notice hardly any difference on the highway.

Those possibilities, plus perhaps some Rupees in cash for the testers, to put them into a generous mood, could explain the difference in range. If it was mostly the first option we'd notice the same difference here, as a 23% increase in range. If it was mostly the second option (KERS), for us, using WLTP drive cycles, the difference here would be a lot less.

Just educated guesses of course. I have no information on details.

It’ll just be disappointing with the EU/UK model spec, with all the good stuff -like an App - missing... :-(

Here in Australia we get 8 year HV battery warranty but only 5 years on the chassis whereas the ICE models have 7 years on chassis. Interesting how MG are offering different warranty periods, charge leads, infotainment systems etc in different countries

It will be interesting to watch how MG manage their brand and range of cars over the the next few Years in order to get more market penetration. They’ve made a good start but are now entering an even harder challenge. Improved cars with greater range and better functionality (universal apps and improved software) come generally with a bigger price tag. A lot of manufacturers would love to lift their brand a little more up market and charge more, but it can be hard to achieve. The MG is a good car, but once you start lifting the price and moving closer to the competition it opens a whole new set of challenges. Staying cost effective for now might be their short term approach by getting as much as they can from existing models and facelifts across the core range without incurring large additional costs.

The battery in the new facelift is the new generation battery I gather, more efficient it has the same 44kw but increases the distance.

I may be wrong here but if a battery is the same size and produces the same amount of energy - say 45kw/hr - then to get more range other areas that use that energy must be more efficient. A more efficient battery with the same capacity doesn’t make sense does it? - I stand to be corrected 🤪

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom