ZS EV - Few questions from the newbie

MAS

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I have got my MG ZS EV for few days and driven around 50 miles. I have noticed red seat belt light came on randomly ( please see attached picture) , while front 2 seats occupied and seat belt plugged in. No passenger at the rear seats and no seatbelt plugged in.
Please also confirm what does it mean when the car is visible on the screen (please see attached picture)?
Battery display on the left is just above 12 V, is it normal?
I have charged my vehicle for the first time since taking the delivery with full charge, battery charged from 77% to 90% and then stopped at POD Point 7KW at Sainsbury. Is it normal?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210101_174757.jpg
    IMG_20210101_174757.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 228
Hi MAS, can you not plug in at home?

I leave all the rear seatbelts plugged in all the time..that sorts it out.

Your 12 volt looks a bit low....thats why I charge up whenever I can.

I can use granny charger at home for now, I did not know if I have to keep an eye on 12 volt, what should be the norm? I will plug that in today

So the seat belt light will come on for the first two minutes of driving or two minutes after any door is opened/closed. There are no weight sensors on the rear seats, so after two minutes the light will turn off, unless a front seat person is being naughty...
12v gauge, the middle is 12v (4bars). One above is 13v and two above is 14v (6bars). So your on 13v, which is ok but not perfect. Once the car has a full 100%, during the equation, the 12v gets topped up also. Also a long drive or leaving the car in ready mode will top up the 12v. Its when it below 12v (3bars or less) or above 14v (7bars or more) you need to panic.

The car in the top right corner is to do with lane assist from what I recall, check your settings you may have it turned off.

@MAS on the Pod-Point, point. Did you confirm the charge in the app? If not it times out (after 15 minutes) by the sounds of it you managed to get around 7kWh of charge so I’m guessing you did, wondering if maybe the charger has a time limit on use (this is rare with fast chargers, but may be with checking other user experience on the same charger on zap map and PlugShare to rule that out)

I can use granny charger at home for now, I did not know if I have to keep an eye on 12 volt, what should be the norm? I will plug that in today
In your dash photo looks like your headlights are on. I have found that the 12v indication will show 13 with headlights on and 14 when headlights off. People correct me if I'm wrong but that seems normal behaviour of the 12v system to me?

@MAS on the Pod-Point, point. Did you confirm the charge in the app? If not it times out (after 15 minutes) by the sounds of it you managed to get around 7kWh of charge so I’m guessing you did, wondering if maybe the charger has a time limit on use (this is rare with fast chargers, but may be with checking other user experience on the same charger on zap map and PlugShare to rule that out)
I did try to confirm via pod point, but got error message ' network is not connected'. I reported the error, having said that I was not disconnected after 15 minutes, I was able to charge from 77 to 90% in more than one hr.

In your dash photo looks like your headlights are on. I have found that the 12v indication will show 13 with headlights on and 14 when headlights off. People correct me if I'm wrong but that seems normal behaviour of the 12v system to me?
My 12v starts at 5 bars (13v) with the headlights on then goes up to 6 bars (14v) after a minute or so.
I have a Ctek battery charger/conditioner which I use on my Prius 12v every 6 weeks or so and was going to use it on the MG, however seeing as the 12v battery gauge is consistently (apart from the first minute) showing 14v whenever it's running, with everything turned on, I haven't bothered. I probably will get worried if it goes down to 12v (or 13v when running) and may bring out the Ctek.

I have used granny charge at home and battery is 100%, however the 12 volt is still at 13.

Hi MAS
Your 12-volt battery is not charged with your granny cable or charging with a pod-point etc. the 12v battery is like in any car will drain with the normal things when you are stopped but are using the radio lights are on etc. If you are at a charging point and engine is not running your 12 v will drain by using the radio heater Etc. Just like an ICE car, if your 12 v battery drains you need to use a normal car 12 v battery charger to top it up but I would not be overly worried unless it goes below 12 volts, a long run will charge up the 12-volt like a normal ICE car. Your car will shut down automatically the radio sat nav, car play while parked if the battery looks like it is being overly drained.

Hi, I have got my MG ZS EV for few days and driven around 50 miles. I have noticed red seat belt light came on randomly ( please see attached picture) , while front 2 seats occupied and seat belt plugged in. No passenger at the rear seats and no seatbelt plugged in.
Please also confirm what does it mean when the car is visible on the screen (please see attached picture)?
Battery display on the left is just above 12 V, is it normal?
I have charged my vehicle for the first time since taking the delivery with full charge, battery charged from 77% to 90% and then stopped at POD Point 7KW at Sainsbury. Is it normal?
Thanks in advance.
I’ve had this with podpoint. Just stop for no reason that I can see. My feeling is it’s not the car but the podpoint charger. I wouldn’t get too paranoid about your 12v battery gauge. Many EV’s don’t even have a gauge for 12v. you’ll get a warning if it gets low. If you‘re sitting in the car using power make sure your car is in the ready state.

My 12v starts at 5 bars (13v) with the headlights on then goes up to 6 bars (14v) after a minute or so.
I have a Ctek battery charger/conditioner which I use on my Prius 12v every 6 weeks or so and was going to use it on the MG, however seeing as the 12v battery gauge is consistently (apart from the first minute) showing 14v whenever it's running, with everything turned on, I haven't bothered. I probably will get worried if it goes down to 12v (or 13v when running) and may bring out the Ctek.
That is what I have noticed after 10 days of driving, 5 bars with lights on and 6 bars in daylight.

Hi MAS
Your 12-volt battery is not charged with your granny cable or charging with a pod-point etc. the 12v battery is like in any car will drain with the normal things when you are stopped but are using the radio lights are on etc. If you are at a charging point and engine is not running your 12 v will drain by using the radio heater Etc. Just like an ICE car, if your 12 v battery drains you need to use a normal car 12 v battery charger to top it up but I would not be overly worried unless it goes below 12 volts, a long run will charge up the 12-volt like a normal ICE car. Your car will shut down automatically the radio sat nav, car play while parked if the battery looks like it is being overly drained.
This information is actually incorrect the 12V is charged from the HV and is charged when you charge the HV via a granny cable, 7 KWh or Rapid charging. It does not charge like a normal ICE car as there is not alternator in an electric car for this purpose.

I think the 12v battery is full when it is showing 12v and charging when showing 13v or 14v. It charges from High Voltage battery when car is in ready mode and unplugged. Also when plugged in. I think, especially in winter, it is good idea to fully charge at home and let it continue “Equalisation” charge( MG logo light on constantly) until light goes out. May take several hours extra after fully charged. Doing this and driving car should be enough to charge 12v I think. Don’t run the electrics without car in Ready mode. Have fun.

I use three pin lead nearly all the time. 12v battery charges up too at the same time. Charge till badge stops 'breathing'. See handbook! Takes a long time so I do it overnight. Using heated seats, lights, etc will drain 12v battery unless In power mode. Done 3500 miles now and love it!

Can't say i look at my 12v gauge that often .i just charge and drive and let the car sort the 12v side of things out as its designed to do .relax and enjoy the ride
I do the same. I’m not entirely sure what value it adds having a 12v gauge really.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom