ZS EV fuel efficiency

KasEV

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am wondering how fuel efficient ZS EVs are. Currently my cumulative travel data show distance travelled as 2000 miles and efficiency as 2.7miles per kWh average speed 21mph
This is extremely low.
I have checked from some of the long distance drive reviews of the ZS EV and the majority of those I have checked especially those done in winter all record an efficiency of less than 3 miles per kWh.
Presently I note a few individual journeys record efficiency above 3.5 in the current journey data but cumulative data has reminded very poor and been always below 3 miles per kWh.
I will be grateful if you could check your cumulative data and post your efficiency for comparison.
I wonder if this low efficiency is something wrong with my individual car rather than with all ZS EVs
Thanks

I get 3.5 miles/KWh but now weather has warmed I would be getting 3.7. If you check previous posts you’ll find this has been discussed at length.

@ Mgkev Thanks.
Is this 3.5 to 3.7 from your current journey or your cumulative journeys?
If it is from your current journeys then please check the cumulative journeys data set.
I think there may be some tech issue with the cumulative journeys data set

I’ve just near completed 2900 miles (see the attached) I do always drive in economy mode and I’m a smooth driver and have on occasions due to temperature got it up to nearly 5 miles per kWh, but my average is 4.1 and that’s a lot of motorway use. Even when the mileage first starts on all my journeys at 3.1 it never goes below that. I get annoyed that the daily miles counter does seem to reset its self if I recharge mid journey rather than me actually resetting it. Hope this help.

Attachments

• 563645BC-D7B9-4959-86C1-0ECDB2A41D64.jpeg
    563645BC-D7B9-4959-86C1-0ECDB2A41D64.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 176
Hi KasEV, due to lockdown I’ve hardly used the car but I was getting 3.5 cumulative tally. Most of my journeys are short local runs, now the weather is warmer and not needing either AC not heating it will have improved but I can’t give a figure yet.

Hi Kas,

Over the last 1200 miles I've averaged 4.0 with an average speed of 33. That's a mix of local, A roads at about 40 to 55 MPH and a little bit of motorway, usually kept to 60, max, but with some up to 75 or more as needed to overtake lines of trucks and the like before getting back out of the way.

I did one time do a fast trip, almost all motorway at 70 to 80 mph constant for about 55 miles and that came back at 2.7.

Apart from what your car is telling you from the instruments, do you note how many miles you can actually do before you need to charge? Your figures certainly seem lower than they should be. Do you live in a particularly hilly area?

@ Pualie68; Mgkev; Mark H; and Folks,
Thanks very much. From the data you have given, l must conclude there is something wrong with my individual cumulative settings. I will get the MG dealership to have a look after lockdown. According to the ZS EV dash I am averaging 2.7miles per kWh on mixed driving most eco.
When I do a manual check using Pod point data, I get better results. I will update after lockdown. If my dashboard computer malfunctioning?
IMG_20200509_174130.jpg

Tyre pressures are 33 PSI.
Is that OK.
The dealership set it as that.
Apparently is best settings if driver only in car most of the time.

I’ve got mine set at 35 psi cold which go up to about 38 - 38.8 when driving after a while.

Hi Folks,
OK next few weeks will set tyre pressures higher.
However Checked manual and it says 33 PSI cold and asked one of the local mechanics that has been open for limited services. They also agree that it should be 33 cold. Do you think higher pressures increase fuel efficiency?

Give it a try and see, but remember cold does mean cold as the tires do heat up quiet quickly when being driven; I think you will be surprised, but that said the lowest mine has ever been when starting a new journey from cold is 3.1 kWh and then it fairly quickly increase from there. What distance does a full charge show when you start mine is usually 172 - 174 miles on the range.

Hi Folks,
OK next few weeks will set tyre pressures higher.
However Checked manual and it says 33 PSI cold and asked one of the local mechanics that has been open for limited services. They also agree that it should be 33 cold. Do you think higher pressures increase fuel efficiency?

Yes, higher pressure reduces rolling resistance and will definitely increase efficiency. Our tyres are actually rated to run safely at up to 51psi.

The Handbook recommends 34 psi. For the weight of the car, this seems a little low to me. Mine came from the dealer set at 39, it rides great at this and I'm getting very good range, in fact, I might even up them to 42 psi and try that for a while.

My advice would be up your pressure to 40

Are you saying these temps as cold or running temperatures? I would say they are running temperatures! Also what Regen level are you set up on I’m on level 3

Last edited:
@ Mark H.
Cold Temperatures.
As displayed on the dashboard and manually checked at nearest fuel station about 1 mile drive from home.
Regen is permanent at level 3.
I will adjust pressures tonight and monitor for any improvement in miles per kWh..over next 3 to 4 weeks.

Please see my readings from today, tire pressures and kWh

Attachments

• 09F2F8D1-EAAA-4A7A-94AC-F5EB08BFF002.jpeg
    09F2F8D1-EAAA-4A7A-94AC-F5EB08BFF002.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 79E632CB-9132-425C-B74A-D471BE669E72.jpeg
    79E632CB-9132-425C-B74A-D471BE669E72.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 167
@ Pualie68; Mgkev; Mark H; and Folks,
Thanks very much. From the data you have given, l must conclude there is something wrong with my individual cumulative settings. I will get the MG dealership to have a look after lockdown. According to the ZS EV dash I am averaging 2.7miles per kWh on mixed driving most eco.
When I do a manual check using Pod point data, I get better results. I will update after lockdown. If my dashboard computer malfunctioning?View attachment 168
What range are you a actually getting per charge as 2.7 kWh only equals about 120 miles of range..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom