ZS EV price increase?

Unless there's some dealer incentives, it seems like getting the Trophy at £30k is a thing of the past. Counting myself lucky to have been able to buy at a more reasonable cost, at the prior spec.

I don't think it'd feel so much like good value at the new pricing.

I have always been confused as to which 'parts' are causing a Trophy Connect shortage. All trim levels include the iSmart app for charging management etc, so all trim levels include a 4g modem and eSim to make that work, so technically they are all connected cars. It feels very much like a software switch/different software build for the trophy connect to include the extra 'live' features (live traffic, amazon music etc) rather than an extra chip? (think Tesla and their autopilot/full self drive feature which is essentially a series of software unlocks, the cars ship with all the hardware and chips required and software is unlocked for the features you want to activate, its just Tesla allow you to pay for that unlock at the initial vehicle purchase OR post purchase via the Tesla app)

HOWEVER, if it really is a different chip to run the iSmart live system, it could be that they are using a new chip manufacturer from July 1st so the post July 1st Trophy trim includes that new chipset, with the panoramic skyroof being dropped for cost/ease of build reasons (as they will only have 1 chassis across the range rather than 1 for the SE and another for the trophy/connect). BMW have done this on a number of models (which is why new BMWs are currently shipping without Carplay/Andriod Auto pending a 'software update', essentially their new in car entertainment chipset hasnt been programmed for carplay yet as they have having to recode from scratch for the new chipsets so are focusing on other features first).
I'm not too sure what it is they fit but Miles did say there is a hardware difference for the Connect models, hence those cars are as rare as hen's teeth when it comes to delivery. Maybe it is as you suggest, and they've found a new chip manufacturer or additional supply.

I'm not too sure what it is they fit but Miles did say there is a hardware difference for the Connect models, hence those cars are as rare as hen's teeth when it comes to delivery. Maybe it is as you suggest, and they've found a new chip manufacturer or additional supply.
fair enough, seems odd in my brain by there is obviously something holding them up!!! My leasing companies endless optimism of still getting a September delivery for a vehicle ordered in April is looking more and more laughable!

I don't think it'd feel so much like good value at the new pricing.

Agreed, I'd be having second thoughts about buying one at the new price / spec. Id have probably ended up in a second hand Kona or eNiro, or gone sod it and spent the £40k + on an ev6.

Or hung around for the MG4.

Crazy times. But then not unexpected given the current level of inflation and supply issues.

Seems like a different world than when I ordered my LR Trophy back in November - £2.5k grant and a £1.5k deposit contribution, I think it was £29500. Even came with mats and a cable.
this is what I got... although minus mats and cable (as already had a cable and hate manufacturer provided mats). But I did get locking wheel nuts on mine though which is something I have heard a lot of people didn't get

I spoke to Miles on DM here and he said he didn't know if there was a hardware difference between the two and that currently MG had no plans to "upgrade" existing trophy models to feature connect bits and pieces.

I spoke to Miles on DM here and he said he didn't know if there was a hardware difference between the two and that currently MG had no plans to "upgrade" existing trophy models to feature connect bits and pieces.
That's maybe somewhat of an update to information we had initially:
I had the same question too. The fact that the car is able to communicate with the iSmart app remotely(without bluetooth or internet connectivity) means there has to be an e-sim or some technology within the car and the difference between connect and non connect version would just be enabling/disabling the services. 2 other points support this theory 1.They have the voice command button on non-connect cars which is pretty useless on those cars. 2. The cost difference is just £500. So I thought its just the matter of enabling/disabling connected services! And possibly upgrading the software on the infotainment system.

I reached out to @Miles Roberts CG and he kindly responded with the following:

"It isn't possible to upgrade a car from Trophy to Trophy Connect. There is a different ECU which handles the voice controls, and a different SIM contract (paid for by MG) which provides the Amazon Prime music streaming. There is also a different firmware for the infotainment system, as it has a number of different menus and screens. Personally, I don't see the benefit of Connect (I use Android Auto for my music streaming, and data plans are cheap these days anyway)"
Nevertheless, not upgrading the current Trophy makes sense... I wouldn't expect them to update them given they've charged people for the Connect features, few though they may be.

That's maybe somewhat of an update to information we had initially:

Nevertheless, not upgrading the current Trophy makes sense... I wouldn't expect them to update them given they've charged people for the Connect features, few though they may be.
Yeah this is true, but if it is just software, maybe they could offer it as a chargeable extra for those who compromised amidst delivery delays 🤷‍♂️

I asked Miles the question on one of the Monday night post casts months and months ago.
Question :- "If I order a standard Trophy, can it be updated at a latter date, to include the Connect features, will it be a software update only".
Answer :- ( An emphatic and instant reply ) "NO - The standard Trophy will not have the necessary hardware ( comms device ) included at the time of build process in the factory, in order to support the connect feature, it is NOT just software based update".
It strikes me as very strange, that the reason that the connect versions have not been coming through, was because in part to the component shortage required for the connect models only, yet here we are now looking at including these very features / devices into all of the fresh order cars in the future ????.
Connect features coming in - full electric pano sky roof going out !.
Which would you choose ( but your not going to be given the choice folks ?. )
The Connect model had an additional cost option of £500 for it's features.
Set alongside the now loss of a full electric pan roof, worth about £1,500 ????????.
Sounds a bit like finding 10 pence, but loosing a fiver to me !.
With your so called free command function, you will NOT be commanding your the sky roof open now, because it not there anymore !.
They will be removing it in order to reduce production costs and increase the build rate, by removing features instead of inflating the price even further.
The cost savings to MG production will be huge, installing only one type of roof on every car makes it so much easier.
One metal roof pressing, renders any sky roof jig pressings redundant.
No cost outlay on buying in the complete sky roof assembly and electrics etc.
Any labour that was required to install the sky roof, has been now been axed.
One standard type of headlining etc etc etc.
MG have come under a lot of criticism over the wait times on orders.
So, they have clearly looked at how they can increase the build rate etc and decrease the build costs at the same time.
This is their solution going forward.
Other manufactures have also been removing features on cars to get them through.
Only speaking for myself here of course, but the sky roof was the main reason we I decided to pay the extra money for the higher spec/d car.
It has really become a "Look what you could have won" moment now I feel.

I asked Miles the question on one of the Monday night post casts months and months ago.
Question :- "If I order a standard Trophy, can it be updated at a latter date, to include the Connect features, will it be a software update only".
Answer :- ( An emphatic and instant reply ) "NO - The standard Trophy will not have the necessary hardware ( comms device ) included at the time of build process in the factory, in order to support the connect feature, it is NOT just software based update".
It strikes me as very strange, that the reason that the connect versions have not been coming through, was because in part to the component shortage required for the connect models only, yet here we are now looking at including these very features / devices into all of the fresh order cars in the future ????.
Connect features coming in - full electric pano sky roof going out !.
Which would you choose ( but your not going to be given the choice folks ?. )
The Connect model had an additional cost option of £500 for it's features.
Set alongside the now loss of a full electric pan roof, worth about £1,500 ????????.
Sounds a bit like finding 10 pence, but loosing a fiver to me !.
With your so called free command function, you will NOT be commanding your the sky roof open now, because it not there anymore !.
They will be removing it in order to reduce production costs and increase the build rate, by removing features instead of inflating the price even further.
The cost savings to MG production will be huge, installing only one type of roof on every car makes it so much easier.
One metal roof pressing, renders any sky roof jig pressings redundant.
No cost outlay on buying in the complete sky roof assembly and electrics etc.
Any labour that was required to install the sky roof, has been now been axed.
One standard type of headlining etc etc etc.
MG have come under a lot of criticism over the wait times on orders.
So, they have clearly looked at how they can increase the build rate etc and decrease the build costs at the same time.
This is their solution going forward.
Other manufactures have also been removing features on cars to get them through.
Only speaking for myself here of course, but the sky roof was the main reason we I decided to pay the extra money for the higher spec/d car.
It has really become a "Look what you could have won" moment now I feel.
I'm glad I'm not loosing my marbles. I know a fair bit wasn't clear initially, but at some point early on I knew there was reason to think the Connect had a hardware difference that couldn't be retrofitted, and it wasn't just software.

Given the issues MG have had supplying these cars, I can only think that continuing to offer this feature means that they've solved the issue with the components (or they've some minimum term contract with Amazon), and hopefully those of us still waiting on Connects might actually see our vehicles.

Jumping the gun a bit, but I'm already curious what they actually plan to do for the mk3 to make the upper trim appealing :unsure:. If the 1st July Trophy is anything to go by, then I don't think pleather and the few other features justifies a £2.5k bump from SE.

I'm glad I'm not loosing my marbles. I know a fair bit wasn't clear initially, but at some point early on I knew there was reason to think the Connect had a hardware difference that couldn't be retrofitted, and it wasn't just software.

Given the issues MG have had supplying these cars, I can only think that continuing to offer this feature means that they've solved the issue with the components (or they've some minimum term contract with Amazon), and hopefully those of us still waiting on Connects might actually see our vehicles.

Jumping the gun a bit, but I'm already curious what they actually plan to do for the mk3 to make the upper trim appealing :unsure:. If the 1st July Trophy is anything to go by, then I don't think pleather and the few other features justifies a £2.5k bump from SE.
The thing I am struggling to understand is why there is seperate hardware for the connect features... the trophy is still internet enabled due to it having wifi hotspot, app control etc so why is the addition of a few apps, because lets face it, that is all you get is a couple of additional apps in the form of live weather and amazon music etc and the other things you get are 100% able to be done on the trophy with a tweak of the software like route push to vehicle as this is just a one way comm from the app to the car (which already exists otherwise you wouldn't be able to unlock/lock or turn on your heating). I struggle to see myself what the difference in hardware would be between the trophy and trophy connect models and as pointed out above, if it was a hardware shortage that was causing the connect models to be more delayed, why would you add that same hardware feature into the trophy as standard... I am not at all saying Miles is not being 100% truthful in what he has been told by MG, but it wouldn't surprise me if MG have been telling their dealers little white lies about there being a hardware difference... I guess time will tell as someone will ultimately tear the car apart to see if the services can be activated at a later date.

Current Trophy does not have WiFi, but this may just be turned in the software. I agree and believe that the 'connect' features require no extra hardware if they are now to be installed as standard.

Current Trophy does not have WiFi, but this may just be turned in the software. I agree and believe that the 'connect' features require no extra hardware if they are now to be installed as standard.
Taken from the current brochure... Trophy and SE both have onboard WiFi

1656414465926.png

Taken from the current brochure... Trophy and SE both have onboard WiFi
I have said this may times but I keep getting told I am wrong has anyone with a non Connect seen there wifi? Or Is it just another lie?

@sgt4hed check out this thread
Thank you N2STY for your very quick reply, I have emailed MG Customer Services asking for a clarification of the situation and when they reply I will update this thread.
MG UK said that my screen shoots was not there material even though I got them from MG UK website and pdf's and WiFi is not advertised or available on non Connect models 🙉

I have said this may times but I keep getting told I am wrong has anyone with a non Connect seen there wifi? Or Is it just another lie?
I have just looked through every single menu in my trophy and cannot see anything relating to the hotspolt or wifi :( I am going to pop into my dealer and ask what the deal is with it but I suspect this might be another lie a bit like the OTA updates was.

It's frustrating if I was told the truth I would have got my wife the connect but I was told all models have wifi and Connect models was just amazon, traffic, weather and voice control

No Wifi on my Trophy. On the Connect the option is available when you swipe down on the infotainment screen, but option is missing on Trophy model.

It's frustrating if I was told the truth I would have got my wife the connect but I was told all models have wifi and Connect models was just amazon, traffic, weather and voice control
I think the dealers were not really clear on what features were on what models. For example I was told the full voice control was on all features but later confirmed it was just connect.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom