• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

ZS EV Trophy won't charge on Osprey 50kW

Julian256

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm lucky. I got my ZS EV Trophy early.
I'm not so lucky. I haven't managed to rapid charge it yet. Tried 3 different Osprey chargers today (2 at Lidl and another at the Spindle & Thread pub) and none of them would charge. Was on the phone to Osprey for 30 minutes - he rebooted the charger a few times but no luck. I suspect the new ZS hasn't been added to their database of cars yet, so it wasn't recognised. Now I'm cold and my debit card has been peppered with £5 pre-authorisations. I'll try another breed of rapid charger in a day or two.

I'm lucky. I got my ZS EV Trophy early.
I'm not so lucky. I haven't managed to rapid charge it yet. Tried 3 different Osprey chargers today (2 at Lidl and another at the Spindle & Thread pub) and none of them would charge. Was on the phone to Osprey for 30 minutes - he rebooted the charger a few times but no luck. I suspect the new ZS hasn't been added to their database of cars yet, so it wasn't recognised. Now I'm cold and my debit card has been peppered with £5 pre-authorisations. I'll try another breed of rapid charger in a day or two.
First, congrats on getting your hands on the new face lift Trophy !.
Do you have the standard Trophy or the top spec Trophy i.connect ?.
The Osprey units can be found at a lot of Marston pubs I believe.
I think other MG EV owners have found them to be troublesome and tend to steer away.
It you are concerned, I would try one of the "know to work" reliable units like a Instavolt, if you have one close by.
That would be my course of action.
Please let us know how you get on !.

It's a Trophy non-connect in red. I'm going to try the Pod Point 7kW chargers next because ZapMap says the rate is 14p/kWh - that's cheaper than my domestic rate electricity. But I'll update when I try my next rapid charge.

It's a Trophy non-connect in red. I'm going to try the Pod Point 7kW chargers next because ZapMap says the rate is 14p/kWh - that's cheaper than my domestic rate electricity. But I'll update when I try my next rapid charge.
@Julian256 I picked up my Trophy this morning, I will try and find an Osprey charger to mine.
Quick question for you, on your home screen if you swipe left do you have a "User" button? (See @MilesperkWh video - ) I don't have a User button so I'm wondering how we pair with iSmart App.

@Julian256 I picked up my Trophy this morning, I will try and find an Osprey charger to mine.
Quick question for you, on your home screen if you swipe left do you have a "User" button? (See @MilesperkWh video - ) I don't have a User button so I'm wondering how we pair with iSmart App.

Ok I've found it under Settings -> Data binding I will try and get a video for the next person.

@LittlePluggers I'd be interested to know how you get on with the iSmart app. I find it incredibly slow. It often fails to connect, returns wrong data (says the sunroof is open when it isn't) and requires numerous retries to get all the data (internal and external temperature are often missing).

Last edited:
@LittlePluggers I'd be interested to know how you get on with the iSmart app. I find it incredibly slow. It often fails to connect, returns wrong data (says the sunroof is open when it isn't) and requires numerous retries to get all the data (internal and external temperature are often missing).
It can't be infuriatingly slow at times, but I've not had an issue with it bringing back wrong or missing data.

Sounds like another half-baked feature...

I wouldn't go that far. I've been using it to preheat the car which is very handy. Without the app it wouldn't be able to do that.

I suspect it'll get better in time.

I've only been using it for status but it's generally slow and unreliable. It doesn't seem to cache data so has to keep asking the car for live data. I haven't had problems with status information being incorrect.

I wonder if a difference between trophy and trophy connect is also the responsiveness of the app? The connect has a "better data plan" so maybe that might make a difference?

I wonder if a difference between trophy and trophy connect is also the responsiveness of the app? The connect has a "better data plan" so maybe that might make a difference?
or it might simply work better in better reception areas.

Technically possible but I think it would be improbable. It wouldn't make much business sense to make the user experience worse for the sake of £500.

It's probably more likely they were trying to carefully control their AWS costs by limiting the resources and data they are using. This doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of responsiveness and data freshness but you would need the correct architecture.

I expect the performance to get worse as more vehicles come online. Then at some point as customers complain they will be forced to refocus the customer experience/performance.

Technically possible but I think it would be improbable. It wouldn't make much business sense to make the user experience worse for the sake of £500.

It's probably more likely they were trying to carefully control their AWS costs by limiting the resources and data they are using. This doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of responsiveness and data freshness but you would need the correct architecture.

I expect the performance to get worse as more vehicles come online. Then at some point as customers complain they will be forced to refocus the customer experience/performance.
A lot of original ZS EV owners have craved the App since day one !.
But there is a big difference between having the App and it working correctly !.
Having an App that does not work or is extremely slow, is of little use at all really !.
The VW App was the same 50 / 50 ball.
Good on a good day, but crap otherwise !.

A lot of original ZS EV owners have craved the App since day one !.
But there is a big difference between having the App and it working correctly !.
Having an App that does not work or is extremely slow, is of little use at all really !.
The VW App was the same 50 / 50 ball.
Good on a good day, but crap otherwise !.
The Renault app is also similarly slow but it does at least reliably show data even if it's a few hours old.

or it might simply work better in better reception areas.
I think you're on to something here. It can be a little patchy at home but we were in Blackpool today and it worked straight away and was very responsive.

We have pretty rubbish Vodafone signal here. I wonder if that's who they're using.

I think you're on to something here. It can be a little patchy at home but we were in Blackpool today and it worked straight away and was very responsive.

We have pretty rubbish Vodafone signal here. I wonder if that's who they're using.
On one of the the pod casts I believe @MilesperkWh said they were using multiple carriers

They may say that, but have a preference for one network. For example with the telemetry equipment I work with it will roam to any network, however its set to prefer Vodafone, as that's who we have preferred rates with.

Upshot of that is that you'd have to have a really poor signal (I'm talking down at 2g levels with a sky high rssi) before it'll go to another network. Obviously that limits you bandwidth. For our purposes that's fine, but for more data heavy applications it could be more of an issue.

Just a guess though! Happy to be wrong.

They may say that, but have a preference for one network. For example with the telemetry equipment I work with it will roam to any network, however its set to prefer Vodafone, as that's who we have preferred rates with.

Upshot of that is that you'd have to have a really poor signal (I'm talking down at 2g levels with a sky high rssi) before it'll go to another network. Obviously that limits you bandwidth. For our purposes that's fine, but for more data heavy applications it could be more of an issue.

Just a guess though! Happy to be wrong.
MG uses the same telecoms provider as a certain US-based EV manufacturer beginning with T... So I believe that they are set to auto-hop onto the best data signal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom