ZS EV window regulator failure

streety78

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just wanted to find out if anyone else has had a simular issue, purchased my ZS EV Trophy standard range in December 2022 currently has 1619 miles only. Last weekend had a failure in rear window regulator. Dropped window down and was unable to lift back. Turns out from recovery company the regulator has blown with an open circuit when tested . Just heard a click from the door but nothing. Has anyone else had simular was only the second time the window was used.

Thank you very much

Just wanted to find out if anyone else has had a simular issue, purchased my ZS EV Trophy standard range in December 2022 currently has 1619 miles only. Last weekend had a failure in rear window regulator. Dropped window down and was unable to lift back. Turns out from recovery company the regulator has blown with an open circuit when tested . Just heard a click from the door but nothing. Has anyone else had simular was only the second time the window was used.

Thank you very much
Just had this exact same scenario happen yesterday! What was the resolution?

My local garage can't book in to be repaired till mid July so having to wait. Due to not enough mechanics. But the AA man said the motor has an open circuit so it's dead and needs replacing. Hope you get yours sorted sooner than I am.

I don’t think thee has been too many people reporting this as a problem, but I could be wrong ??.
I expect it will be the same mechanism / motor on both the Gen1 and Gen2 models.
There has been a lot of people reporting problems with the door locking assemble failing on fairly recent ZS EV models.
A relatives car was delivered in late November 22 with a faulty lock and was spotted on collection day.
A couple of attempts to fix it failed and a new lock was ordered in Feb 23.
The lock arrived last week !.
Car is now sorted, at last.
Hopefully the window regulator/ motor is not a repeat performance of a batch of faulty parts like the door locks !.
If so, this could see a big demand for replacement parts and a long wait due to stock shortages.
Unfortunately, the dealer is not permitted to order spare parts ahead of time.
The car needs to be booked in first, which means a wait.
Then they will establish the fault and then MG have to authorise the ordering of the the require replacement parts !.
This is takes a lot longer than it should, in order to get your car fixed.
It is very frustrating for both the dealer and the owners.
If the regulator is operating correctly, then that is a good thing as the window can be closed for weather protection and security reasons of course.
The motor can be just left disconnected.
It’s an inconvenience, but the car is still usable thank goodness !.

I agree there does seem to be a potential issue with parts as well as staff in the garage I got it from. They had a report to show open circuit from the mobile breakdown so I believe it will be replaced on the first visit. Its just a shame as the only noise in the car now is the window rattling when going over the smallest bump. But like you said it's secure and that the car is technically unaffected. Its just frustrating as only the second time we used the window lol.. I wanted to post originally to see if anyone else was effected and also to give notice of the sounds as the mobile mechanic said it sounded like it was off the runner due to the click sound when you pressed the button... it was the noise that threw him off for ages until he pulled the door apart and tested all connections.

I don’t think thee has been too many people reporting this as a problem, but I could be wrong ??.
I expect it will be the same mechanism / motor on both the Gen1 and Gen2 models.
There has been a lot of people reporting problems with the door locking assemble failing on fairly recent ZS EV models.
A relatives car was delivered in late November 22 with a faulty lock and was spotted on collection day.
A couple of attempts to fix it failed and a new lock was ordered in Feb 23.
The lock arrived last week !.
Car is now sorted, at last.
Hopefully the window regulator/ motor is not a repeat performance of a batch of faulty parts like the door locks !.
If so, this could see a big demand for replacement parts and a long wait due to stock shortages.
Unfortunately, the dealer is not permitted to order spare parts ahead of time.
The car needs to be booked in first, which means a wait.
Then they will establish the fault and then MG have to authorise the ordering of the the require replacement parts !.
This is takes a lot longer than it should, in order to get your car fixed.
It is very frustrating for both the dealer and the owners.
If the regulator is operating correctly, then that is a good thing as the window can be closed for weather protection and security reasons of course.
The motor can be just left disconnected.
It’s an inconvenience, but the car is still usable thank goodness !.
Most of the faults are easy to establish quickly. I had a faulty drivers window seal and they tried the "we wiill book it in for assesment in a month" I got them to quickly look at it that day and order the part, so they fitted it on what was going to be the assesment day. They did push back a little bit at first, but there is not much they can say, it took less than a minute for the "technician :rolleyes:"to confirm"

When we needed to have our previous Gen1 ZS EV attended to by the recovery services, due to the electronic O/S/R handbrake being stuck on, the guy was able to diagnose a stripped spline on the drive motor being the issue.
He removed the motor and handed it to me.
It was absolutely clear it had stripped out alright.
We delivered the car to the local dealer on a Saturday morning.
I called the dealer on the Monday morning to ensure they were aware it has been left outside the workshop door.
I explained what the recovery guy had diagnosed the issue and that I had seen the evidence clearly for myself ( Retired Tech ).
The person on the service desk basically said that they paid no attention to what the recovery people say and they will diagnose the problem for themselves, thank you very much.
They called me later in the day, to say that the Tech had inspected the car and motor had indeed stripped out and they would order a new one.
No sh*t Sherlock !.
It’s their way, or no way.
You try to help and point hem in the right direction to save time / money and an incorrect diagnosis and there you go :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My local garage can't book in to be repaired till mid July so having to wait. Due to not enough mechanics. But the AA man said the motor has an open circuit so it's dead and needs replacing. Hope you get yours sorted sooner than I am.
Similar story... called dealer, no service appointments available until August 🤣 Needless to say Macklin Motors Edinburgh have lost a customer for good! Called the MG dealer in the Scottish Borders, took the car down same day, next day got the diagnosis (broken wire in wiring loom) He's put the window up meantime, disconnected it, ordered the loom, and will replace when the part is delivered. Exceptional service!

I finally have been seen and checked. Alleged is the wiring loom from the main loom to the window regulator. But there was an open circuit on the motor by recovery service. Either way finally booked on for the 31st to have it totally repaired. So fingers crossed as had to get loom from manufacturer direct.

Similar story... called dealer, no service appointments available until August 🤣 Needless to say Macklin Motors Edinburgh have lost a customer for good! Called the MG dealer in the Scottish Borders, took the car down same day, next day got the diagnosis (broken wire in wiring loom) He's put the window up meantime, disconnected it, ordered the loom, and will replace when the part is delivered. Exceptional service!
That is exactly what they said about mine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom