Zs locks up if you take seat belt off when on a steep hill

jon newt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My mate has a steep driveway his wife reversed down and took off seatbelt to look out of window as rear camera was dirty. The seatbelt refused to release and the car became unresponsive and just shut down. He called mg service and the guy came and stretched the rear middle seat belt over to the drivers side plugged it in and it came back to life! He said it is an inbuilt safety measure and he has seen it before.

My mate has a steep driveway his wife reversed down and took off seatbelt to look out of window as rear camera was dirty. The seatbelt refused to release and the car became unresponsive and just shut down. He called mg service and the guy came and stretched the rear middle seat belt over to the drivers side plugged it in and it came back to life! He said it is an inbuilt safety measure and he has seen it before.
Why couldn't he just plug the drivers seatbelt back in? 🤔

Is this another mk2 "improvement"?

From where it comes out from central Pilar they would not release that’s why had to use rear centre belt .
Both fronts? I'd have tried front passenger first...

So locked up from B Pilar almost the same as when airbags deployed after a accident?
Or like when they've pretensioned whilst braking down a hill say

It's a ball bearing that rolls forward in the reel of the belt that locks it. If you're on a steep downhill slope it makes it very difficult to release, but if you can retract the belt some it should release. Moving the seat backwards or reclining the back should allow you to do it.

It's a ball bearing that rolls forward in the reel of the belt that locks it. If you're on a steep downhill slope it makes it very difficult to release, but if you can retract the belt some it should release. Moving the seat backwards or reclining the back should allow you to do it.
I always wondered how they did that
I always wondered how they worked ! 👍🏻
(Glad it's not had a breath of "improvement" too 👍🏻👍🏻)

Typically they can look a bit like this inside.
Either a ball bearing in a seat, or a pendulum weight that locks 🔒 a pawl, which in turn locks the belt when the weight / ball swings off centre.

IMG_9554.jpeg

well you learn something new every day, thanks for that.

Typically they can look a bit like this inside.
Either a ball bearing in a seat, or a pendulum weight that locks 🔒 a pawl, which in turn locks the belt when the weight / ball swings off centre.

View attachment 16845
Tbh I’d never thought ‘how do seatbelts work’ but it’s good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom