Circular reasoning

I expect other EV drivers will go through the same thought process though once they see their roof as a potential source of power/money!
Probably so, I researched the whole situation for about 18 months before ordering the installation and then another 6 months designing and building an add on powerwall. There's a lot of misinformation out there by well meaning people that really doesn't help (I'm not referring to anything said on here BTW :) )

I've got a queue of people, including my supplier, offering me an Octopus code. I'm thinking of holding a raffle!

I think you're describing the tariff my supplier is talking about.
No problem, I donate my Ā£50's to charities :)

Many other forums have a forum code and they pick up the referrals to donate to worthy causes etc. Saves some bickering which can and does occur with a free for all.
I'm glad youve got started, it sounds like your sparky has his finger on the pulse with regards to tariffs. Octopus is a great company, there are of course others, just avoid at all costs British Gas is my advice.

I'll just use the one from my installer - seems only polite!

Not a lot to show for it so far, the roofing guys have gone off to another job, see you tomorrow.

1715696929452.png

And the electrician has just left too.

1715696999087.png

Nevertheless he says he reckons the solar system will be up and running tomorrow, though it might be Thursday before the car charger is done.

Nevertheless he says he reckons the solar system will be up and running tomorrow, though it might be Thursday before the car charger is done.
The roofers did our panels very quickly. The cable connections and commissioning took a bit longer but it looks like they have made progress.

The battery has to be emptied and refilled for calibration and they have to link it to your givenergy account (our installer set this up for us I think).

Good that they have put in a backing board for you - ours is just against the brick.

I'll just use the one from my installer - seems only polite!
Yes it does.

Double check that the Zappi is going to be fed from the supply BEFORE and sensing for the inverter, if you dont do this it will have no problem sucking the power from your batteries which isnt what most of us want. It's better if the Zappi has it's own consumer unit from the meter tails.

I think the installer covered that in conversation - he said, it works in a priority order, first the house, then the battery then the car then export. I will double check with him though, because I saw it mentioned elsewhere.

I think the installer covered that in conversation - he said, it works in a priority order, first the house, then the battery then the car then export. I will double check with him though, because I saw it mentioned elsewhere.
Yes the priorities can be set between EDDI and Zappi and battery charging and export. If Zappi isnt wired via it's own consumer unity your battery & solar will see it as a legitimate load and feed it. Loads of people fallen for this one and the only way to stop it is either it's own feed or only charge when the batteries are charging during off peak.
Theres loads on the MyEnergi site about it.

Yes the priorities can be set between EDDI and Zappi and battery charging and export. If Zappi isnt wired via it's own consumer unity your battery & solar will see it as a legitimate load and feed it. Loads of people fallen for this one and the only way to stop it is either it's own feed or only charge when the batteries are charging during off peak.
Theres loads on the MyEnergi site about it.

I'll double check, thanks.

Here's where we were half an hour ago. Roof coming along nicely.

1715781204178.png

And the battery and inverter nearly done.

1715781278049.png

Roof coming along nicely.
I know that you need steep roofs in climates with snow, but wow, solar installers need to be spiderpersons there! I hope that the person on the roof was actually tethered, and I just can't see the rope in that photo.

The dark panels suit your roof and house.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom