1 phase or 3 phase wallbox ?

BatteryPowered

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
We are looking for a wallbox charger for our black SR throphy connect. Initially I thought that we needed a 1 phase charger because a 3 phase wallbox would not be compatible with the 1 phase charging of the SR ZS EV or would only charge at a lower speed than 7,2 kW.

But I saw on the internet that a 3 phase 32A 22 kW charger is able to charge a 1 phase 32A battery with 7,2 kW ?

Is this correct? If this is the case, we would purchase a 3 phase 32A 22 kW charger, so that we are future proof for our next EV.

Thanks in advance

See the screenshot below for the table I found on the internet :

Attachments

• DBCC15D1-417C-42FE-AFE3-924085DC35DD.jpeg
    DBCC15D1-417C-42FE-AFE3-924085DC35DD.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 147
If a 3 phase wallbox is able to charge our Standard range (32A 7.4 kW) ZS EV at 32A 7.2 kW, we would buy that instead of a 1 phase wallbox. Initially it costs more, but if we ever buy an EV that charges with 11 or 22 kW, we already have it.

It is indeed a standard range, but according to the table we found on the internet, it should be possible to charge a SR at 7,2 kW with a 3 phase 22 kW wallbox ? Also our dealer says it is possible, because the 3 phase wallbox can be fitted single phased.

Off course we would like to be sure that the charging will be at 7.2 kW.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Yes it will work it will just use one of the three phases the other two will just be ready for when you need it
Each phase will 7.3kw
Car will pull about 6.6kw so all good 👍

Very very very x100 houses in the uk actually use 3 phase and if you want that from 1 it costs the same amount as a car so it’s not worth it.

Artisan electrics have a YouTube channel and they explained it all

Very very very x100 houses in the uk actually use 3 phase and if you want that from 1 it costs the same amount as a car so it’s not worth it.

Artisan electrics have a YouTube channel and they explained it all
You mean it costs the same amount of a car if the 3 phase has to be retrofitted in the house ? Here it is not the case, it is a new build house (2021) with 3 phase already installed.

I'll miss 3 phase public charging when I get my ZS - my Zoe charges at 22kW on a 3 phase charge point, and there are lots about in the UK. Still, I don't have DC charging, so that will more than make up for it!

If a 3 phase wallbox is able to charge our Standard range (32A 7.4 kW) ZS EV at 32A 7.2 kW, we would buy that instead of a 1 phase wallbox. Initially it costs more, but if we ever buy an EV that charges with 11 or 22 kW, we already have it.
Go for it as a good investment even if the MG doesn't this time around

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom