2022 Excite PHEV central locking problem and home charger

Larry North

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello,
I have a 2022 PHEV Excite.
I have experienced a few glitches with the central locking so I changed the batteries in the keys and have had to use the physical key to unlock it in the past few weeks since I bought the car.
Today the home charger would not release after charging. I tried the following:
unplug the charger, wait 10 mins and tried to pull out the charger from the car
as above but open the driver's door
as above but tried to central lock the car, it would not lock
use the physical to unlock the car (it was not locked) then try to un-plug it
switch the car on....that only resulted in the car being stuck in P or N
Pull on the release cable in the boot but this is only for the lid to the charger unlike the MG4

Finally I gave up and called the MG roadside assist. The tech did not have any new ideas so followed my lead. After about 15 mins the locking system released.
This was about 90 mins after the problem was noticed.
He thinks there is a problem with central locking and this is not releasing the charger. He logged this.
I will contact tech support tomorrow to see what they say.
I must say that the roadside support in Sydney was really great today i n terms of response times etc.
Anyone else have this problem?
Cheers
Larry

If you have a 12v battery charger I would put your 12v battery on a charge also I would monitor the 12v charger for the first 15 minutes to see if the full charge comes up as would indicate the 12v needs to be replaced. By the sounds of it there was was not enough power to operate the locking system.

The battery can say 13v but it’s the capacity of the charge within the battery ie the amperage. Will the car go into ready now.

Hi Jto
What will it rule out?
It is raining very heavily here (all day by the looks of it) so I cannot use the trickle charger.
I have spoken with the service centre and they are going to look at it tomorrow morning (Syd time) so I will let you know what happens. The car was first registered two years ago today so if the 12 V battery is faulty I hope they honour the 2 year warranty
Thanks for the help
Cheers
Larry

Hi Jto
Back from the service centre and it appears the fault is in the charger socket in the car.
They have ordered a replacement so I will have to wait for that.
In the meantime I can either risk getting it stuck again or just use the petrol engine.
95 RON here at present is between $A2.30 and $A2.50 per L...which is why I went for a hybrid.
Now, does anyone know how to release the charger if it is stuck?
cheers
larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jto
Back from the service centre and it appears the fault is in the charger socket in the car.
They have ordered a replacement so I will have to wait for that.
In the meantime I can either risk getting it stuck again or just use the petrol engine.
95 RON here at present is between $A2.30 and $A2.50 per L...which is why I went for a hybrid.
Now, does anyone know how to release the charger if it is stuck?
cheers
larry
Click on unlock on your remote twice and it will unlock.
Its happened to me a couple of times as well.

Last edited:
Wow Cafeg
I will try this next time.
I hope it works although with a defective unit in the car I am not holding my breath.
Thank you
Larry

Ho Cafeg
I Tried your method and it has worked this time.
Thank you very much for the advice
Cheers
larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom