20L/100km in my MG

yukyolol

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello. I bought my MG almost one month ago. I made 1700km this month because I had to make several mid-long trips and I have to say I feel some high fuel consumption... but acceptable at all... 9-10L I think it's something that I could "understand"...

Today I have noticed something that I think it's abnormal.

My MG consumed an average of 20L/100km, more than the Lamborghini Aventador with 700 horsepower.

I took some pics:

In the first picture, I was on 0% battery, so the car was running on the petrol engine. At the moment when I took the image, the remaining fuel estimated was: 405km.

IMG_20220702_182955.jpg

I was not running. I even passed 50km/h I was driving in the city... After driving for 17 minutes (I went to the shopping center), It did 10.5 L / 100km, which IS A LOT considering I even passed 50km/h...

IMG_20220702_183814.jpg

In the shopping center, I could charge the car for almost 2.5h, so it charged 70%.

I started with AUTO mode, and the car at the beginning was consuming 12-13L/100km in the petrol engine, then I activated the EV mode: and it went to 30kwh/100km, so the fuel consume started to get down quickly... after 4 minutes I took a screenshot:

PXL_20220702_213550469.jpg

Still very high in my opinion... considering I'm not speeding at all...
After 1 hour of driving in the city at 20-30km/h, we went to a restaurant for dinner, and this is the picture I took after parking:

IMG_20220702_223531.jpg

As you can see from the first picture to the last I did 20km but the "estimated fuel remaining" went from 405 to 357...

Any thoughts?? I really think this is abnormal...

It does look to be high consumption. Some thoughts ...

In Auto mode, the car uses a combination of petrol and electric power, particularly at low speeds. If your battery is really low, (nearer 0.1% than 0.9%) the electric power may not have been as available as it should be, putting extra load on the petrol engine. Although the petrol engine is modern and efficient, it is only 1500cc, so works hard without the electric support.

Your figures after the charge reflect the way averages work, in that once you go to electric power, every Km registers zero petrol used, so the average drops rapidly. (10+10+10)/3 = 10, (10+10+10+0+0)/5 = 6.

The original estimated Km remaining would have been based on the car being able to use the preferred combination of petrol and electric power, which as suggested, may not have been possible, so the excess petrol actually used would have lowered that figure.

I tend to ignore the current trip readings and look at the long term averages. Mine currently does around 66mpg - 3.5L/100Km. That is on around 80% local all electric driving, the rest being motorway trips.

I think it pays to keep the battery as charged as is possible so both motors can be used efficiently.

Edit to add ... if you look at the screen that shows what the power train is doing, you can see what is happening with the motors and the regeneration. You should see an infrequent green line from the petrol motor to the electric one, that shows the petrol engine is generating electricity so as to keep a minimum viable level in the battery, in addition to the reverse flow of power from the wheels to the elsctric motor during regen braking. The petrol engine charging often doesn't last very long, most likely to be seen at moderate speed on a flat road. If you don't see this in standard regen mode, switch to medium or high regen to check it's happening. (But not for long, that definitely uses up petrol quickly :)). If you don't see it at all that might be a fault.

Last edited:
Car is not meant to be used on 0% battery; It is a PHEV and not a HEV. Using the car on 0% is like loading the car up with 300KG of extra weight, and ontop of that, the car will be trying to get charge back into the battery, further using fuel. When I took my PHEV on holiday it was getting 55MPG (4.27L/100KM) and used a mere 20% of the battery on the 120 mile trip. I estimate you can go 600 miles in hybrid mode before the battery will need charging again (though the petrol tank will likely need to be filled sooner than that).

Car is not meant to be used on 0% battery; It is a PHEV and not a HEV. Using the car on 0% is like loading the car up with 300KG of extra weight, and ontop of that, the car will be trying to get charge back into the battery, further using fuel. When I took my PHEV on holiday it was getting 55MPG (4.27L/100KM) and used a mere 20% of the battery on the 120 mile trip. I estimate you can go 600 miles in hybrid mode before the battery will need charging again (though the petrol tank will likely need to be filled sooner than that).

I know, but unfortunately, I forgot to plug in the charger that day, and I was already on 0%.

Some thoughts after doing some testing.
When I turn the car for the first 5 minutes, the consumption is a bit high, but then it starts to get down quickly.
I'm very happy with the average L/100km I'm doing with the car.

This is, for now, my total average:

IMG_20220703_152205.jpg

Keep in mind the last two weeks, and I could not charge because my charging station was not ready yet.
The only thing that I'm really starting to hate it's the touch-screen; IT IS really annoying; how did they not notice the enormous delay and lag it has?? When I have to use Waze, it breaks my nerves because it's almost impossible to add stops or just move around the map...

It was stuck for 3-4 minutes; I tried to power off and power on the car multiple times with no result until it rebooted...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom