360 Cameras why are we not able to record the feeds?

C6MFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
A thought. Many drivers have a forward facing and or rear facing cameras installed. Why do manufactures not make use of the 360 camera system to record to an accessible hard drive or large SD card? The feeds are there for the monitor so should be simple? There could be DPDR or other regulatory issues but no more than with the aftermarket cameras many install.

We end up buying cars laden with tech that we do not fully use, but this could prove essential in the event of an incident and or insurance claim.

A thought. Many drivers have a forward facing and or rear facing cameras installed. Why do manufactures not make use of the 360 camera system to record to an accessible hard drive or large SD card? The feeds are there for the monitor so should be simple? There could be DPDR or other regulatory issues but no more than with the aftermarket cameras many install.

We end up buying cars laden with tech that we do not fully use, but this could prove essential in the event of an incident and or insurance claim.
You need to pay £50,000 for a Tesla to be able to do this.

Shouldn't have to.Gomev. it's not a difficult thing to add. In the railway most new trains have this for forward facing, external door and those inside. The monitors go off a as not to distract the Driver at 6kph but keep recording on massive hard drives. All you need in a car is last few minutes. Well done Tesla. It just seems an easy fix if the feeds are there for the monitor.

Shouldn't have to.Gomev. it's not a difficult thing to add. In the railway most new trains have this for forward facing, external door and those inside. The monitors go off a as not to distract the Driver at 6kph but keep recording on massive hard drives. All you need in a car is last few minutes. Well done Tesla. It just seems an easy fix if the feeds are there for the monitor.
You're not likely to get all the fancy stuff a Tesla or a train has at MG4 prices.
Why not add in a heat pump as well and how about a panoramic sunroof. There are many things we could wish for at a price.
Its like buying the base model ford focus and then wishing it had features of more expensive variants.

Last edited:
I agree that it would seem easy (without any clue as to what was actually involved), very useful and a good use of the existing hardware. I suspect it's harder to achieve than I realise though as I'm pretty sure MG aren't alone in not making this use of on board cameras.

Regardless of it's ease/cost, the line has to be drawn somewhere. I'm sure there are a lot of features people would like. There are threads on here discussing the internal lighting (on the MG5) for example and the need for a mid mounted light. Again a cheap simple addition, and I'm sure there must be more, but if they added all the cheap, easy additions that people wanted, they would soon add up.

Understood mate but its not expencive to do
How expensive would it be? new hardware to house the memory, the memory itself, which must be replaceable (and yes an SD card is cheap), updated software and I have no idea what else.
I appreciate what you are saying but there are probably many things that could be added, so which do they/you choose etc. etc.
The MG modus operandi is provide limited set trim variants, few colours, and 2 battery sizes. No options and very few accessories. You get what's there in spec and no more. Makes for easier cheaper production costs.

If the MG had the same spec and same price as a Tesla, how many would buy it ?

Agreed. There is a price point for everything. I think it's just a waste as the feeds are there already. Not saying it's needed above anything else. There is often tech on car to sell them that is never actually used too.

BYD do record the cameras with the Atto 3. Just need to insert an Micro SD card, fingers crossed these will cost less than £35k when on sale in UK before Xmas. Should be a game changing EV just like the MG4.

BYD do record the cameras with the Atto 3. Just need to insert an Micro SD card, fingers crossed these will cost less than £35k when on sale in UK before Xmas. Should be a game changing EV just like the MG4.
Carwow reckons it will start from about £32000, the ZS EV LR is currently about the same with slightly higher WLTP range. It will be all about look and feel as well as overall value.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom