A NOT SO short update on our British Gas Hive EV charger installation.

DBedford

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
A NOT SO short update on our British Gas Hive EV charger installation.

I thought that the installation of a charging point would be a simple process. Boy was I mistaken ! 🤕

Ordered on the 23rd March 23.

Completed a Hive self assessment taking photos and accounting for every lamp and appliance. loading calculations completed by supplier.

Had a video survey with BG 5th April, It could not be confirmed if the tails and fuse were 25mm and 100amp rated. The network owner would need to survey, which I'm sure they may have had to do anyway.

BG notified me that the updated electrical installation regs recommend the installation of a surge protection device (spd). I agreed on the installation at additional cost.

A month later after pressing for an earlier survey date SSEN (network owners -Scottish and Southern Electric Networks) contractor attended. CAT scanned the drive, checked the earthing and main fuse and tails, they were 100amp and 25mm, so no change required. I told him I was using BG for the EV charging point installation, he wished me good luck 🫣.

Week later I chased BG for an update, I was told that they had clearance from SSEN for the charge point installation, and that the £149 would be refunded for the tail change (which I was told previously was the cost for the spd supply and install). I was told the spd was in fact £174.34 ! (inflation for you!). Since adressed in follow-up email.

This afternoon I had time for read up about the Hive charger in the BG website. NO! - our Octopus smart meter(s) would not work with the Hive and EV tariff (why had we not been told?). This is despite the fact that the Octopus electric smart meter worked out of the gate when we moved from Octopus to BG a few years ago. It did take BG a year to get the gas smart meter working properly, after numerous phone calls. Had I not discovered this we could have had the charger installed and not be able to use it, or possibly not be able to switch to the EV tariff!

So to date smart meters (gas and electric) being changed on the 30th May, and awaiting a date confirming of the charge he point installation. Not quite the 2-4 weeks stated on the BG website.

As I said to the BG manager over seeing the sale, not a joint-up service , but I'm sure things will improve with time. My wife and I are now both retired, had we still been working, and had to take time off work. it would have been another story completely.

Looking forward to the final installation :D(y)

David

Last edited:
The SPD is just another module that fits in the Consumer Unit. It costs less than £30.

A short update on our British Gas Hive EV charger installation.

I thought that the installation of a charging point would be a simple process. Boy was I mistaken ! 🤕

Completed a Hive self assessment taking photos and accounting for every lamp and appliance. loading calculations completed by supplier.

Had a video survey with BG 5th April, It could not be confirmed if the tails and fuse were 25mm and 100amp rated. The network owner would need to survey, which I'm sure they may have had to do anyway.

BG notified me that the updated electrical installation regs recommend the installation of a surge protection device (spd). I agreed on the installation at additional cost.

A month later after pressing for an earlier survey date SSEN (network owners -Scottish and Southern Electric Networks) contractor attended. CAT scanned the drive, checked the earthing and main fuse and tails, they were 100amp and 25mm, so no change required. I told him I was using BG for the EV charging point installation, he wished me good luck 🫣.

Week later I chased BG for an update, I was told that they had clearance from SSEN for the charge point installation, and that the £149 would be refunded for the tail change (which I was told previously was the cost for the spd supply and install). I was told the spd was in fact £174.34 ! (inflation for you!). Since adressed in follow-up email.

This afternoon I had time for read up about the Hive charger in the BG website. NO! - our Octopus smart meter(s) would not work with the Hive and EV tariff (why had we not been told?). This is despite the fact that the Octopus electric smart meter worked out of the gate when we moved from Octopus to BG a few years ago. It did take BG a year to get the gas smart meter working properly, after numerous phone calls. Had I not discovered this we could have had the charger installed and not be able to use it, or possibly not be able to switch to the EV tariff!

So to date smart meters (gas and electric) being changed on the 30th May, and awaiting a date confirming of the charge he point installation. Not quite the 2-4 weeks stated on the BG website.

As I said to the BG manager over seeing the sale, not a joint-up service , but I'm sure things will improve with time. My wife and I are now both retired, had we still been working, and had to take time off work. it would have been another story completely.

David
Thank you for that. Should I ever need to have another 'charger' installed at least I know who to avoid.

David
Yesterday having phone BG to order the replacement smart metering for both gas and electric, it was followed up with an email saying sorry I didn’t want smart meters installed. 😫.

Your decision about smart meters​

Hello Mr Bedford

Thanks for letting us know you don’t want smart meters. We’ve made a note of your decision and will be in touch at a later date.

You’ve told us that you don’t see the benefits of the Government led smart meter roll out.

We want you to know that as part of the upgrade to improve Great Britain’s ageing energy systems, every home will be offered smart meters by 2020. Smart meters can help you to make small changes to use less energy and save money on your bills.

If you'd like to change your mind
If you change your mind and would like to get a smart meter installed or would like more information, call us on 0333 200 4455*.

Thanks

Your British Gas team​

Last edited:
I had BG Electric and Gas smart meters fitted back in November 2022. Whilst the gas neter works as in units used, show up, it does not transmit the usage data to them, as the electricity meter does. I just do a reading at the end of each month and enter it via their app. I've contacted them a few times. They say there is something not working on a whole batch of them across the country regarding the transmitting the usage data to them. They don't know when this will be resolved. I don't bother asking anymore since last talking to them in March this year. It's the electric I am more interested in and that currently works. I do however use Hugo to monitor it as its better than their app.

The SPD is just another module that fits in the Consumer Unit. It costs less than £30.
Dependant on the module being compatible with your board as they have to be type tested, also there is a lightning risk assessment that has to be undertaken and then fitting of the unit.

While the price quoted does appear to be high comparable to asking a local electrician o fit its worth noting that even a local electrician would charge more than just £30 as material cost is only part of the equation when working out the cost to supply and install.

I had BG Electric and Gas smart meters fitted back in November 2022. Whilst the gas neter works as in units used, show up, it does not transmit the usage data to them, as the electricity meter does. I just do a reading at the end of each month and enter it via their app. I've contacted them a few times. They say there is something not working on a whole batch of them across the country regarding the transmitting the usage data to them. They don't know when this will be resolved. I don't bother asking anymore since last talking to them in March this year. It's the electric I am more interested in and that currently works. I do however use Hugo to monitor it as its better than their app.
I had this same problem with Octopus, although in my case I could not even take a gas reading and had no idea about usage.

Nothing happened until I made a formal complaint and then eventually I got an engineer to swap the faulty gas meter out. Took a lot of persistence and about 10 weeks to resolve.

I have or have had quite a few Hive products. On my experience so far I would not trust them with installing an EV charger.
Smart heating thermostat- excellent
Thermostatic Radiator Valves - returned as not fit for purpose
Smart light bulbs - very flakey
Door sensor - returned as does not work
Motion sensor - lots of false alarms
Customer service - absolutely appalling.

I have the same problem and same explanation from Octopus and have adopted exactly the same approach as you apart from Hugo..
Could have saved typing and just put....... ditto. :giggle:

David
What EV tariff are you on?

We are not right now, but will switch to BG EV tariff once the charge point is installed. I chased installation again today and it seems BG don't have enough engineers !!! :unsure:
What rates are BG providing on their EV tariff?

BG.jpg

I have or have had quite a few Hive products. On my experience so far I would not trust them with installing an EV charger.
Smart heating thermostat- excellent
Thermostatic Radiator Valves - returned as not fit for purpose
Smart light bulbs - very flakey
Door sensor - returned as does not work
Motion sensor - lots of false alarms
Customer service - absolutely appalling.
I know it’s off topic slightly, but the thermostat rad valves work exceptionally well once set up and configured. We did have an initial issue with the physical vales on the rads. Long story! Re EV charging points, fortunately installed by a qualified fitter and no problems to date. Did look at BG, for about 5, secs then moved on.

Electric Van Man (EVM) has a great spreadsheet to help compare tariff's , has just a couple of very minor errors:

Worth a look ; .
I would save about £80/year by moving from BG to Octopus-Go...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom