After Market Head Unit?

seye

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have installed an aftermarket android head unit in my other car. That also has 360 cameras etc, same as ZS EV facelift. All works fine and it was really easy to install. That unit is from Dasaita. It is cost effective works really well.

Anyone know if any after marker head units are available for the fcelift model. I have seen some for the original.

I am expecting the 360 camera feed to be a seperate module that just connects into any head unit ( like my other car).
I dont know how the ISmart app will work
I dont know how the local controls of the car which are now Managed via the unit e.g. charging / heating / setting etc

Anyone know if this is possible?

I will just be using Andorid auto for now, but in my experience it really is nice when you can use a native headset simulatiously with your phone that is doing something complelety different. I also think ABRP doesnt project to Android AUto unless you have a subscription ( please correct me if I am wrong ). That isnt an issue if it is running nativley

I have installed an aftermarket android head unit in my other car. That also has 360 cameras etc, same as ZS EV facelift. All works fine and it was really easy to install. That unit is from Dasaita. It is cost effective works really well.

Anyone know if any after marker head units are available for the fcelift model. I have seen some for the original.

I am expecting the 360 camera feed to be a seperate module that just connects into any head unit ( like my other car).
I dont know how the ISmart app will work
I dont know how the local controls of the car which are now Managed via the unit e.g. charging / heating / setting etc

Anyone know if this is possible?

I will just be using Andorid auto for now, but in my experience it really is nice when you can use a native headset simulatiously with your phone that is doing something complelety different. I also think ABRP doesnt project to Android AUto unless you have a subscription ( please correct me if I am wrong ). That isnt an issue if it is running nativley
What feature do you think is missing from the facelift model that requires stripping out the 10.1” touch screen and replacing it - probably voiding any warranty you have with the car?

1. ABRP without subscription, unless you can tell me how android auto can mirror for free.
  2. ODB applications
  3. Google maps is better than Android auto maps ( I know they are based on the same code but they do present differnently, like showing speed limits and real time speed, journey sharing )
  4. Alternative launchers and home screens ( total waste of space to show both ANdroid Auto & CarPlay if I am an Android user ) and add quick lauch buttoms for what I really do want
and for when hanging around charging
  1. Netflix
  2. Amazon Prime Video
also Generally having a far better split screen experience on a larger screen for Spotify and maps.

My conclusion after several years being able to run native Android and Android auto on the same head unit I have found the Native android is quicker, easier and more flexible. Updates are far quicker too

New headunits are generally better resolution, faster procesessors even possibly larger screen too.

I am not convinced that would void a warrenty if installed properly, otherwise there would not be a market for any such device.

I guess I will just wait for the india market to demonstrate on working, just like they already have for the older model.

1. ABRP without subscription, unless you can tell me how android auto can mirror for free.
  2. ODB applications
  3. Google maps is better than Android auto maps ( I know they are based on the same code but they do present differnently, like showing speed limits and real time speed, journey sharing )
  4. Alternative launchers and home screens ( total waste of space to show both ANdroid Auto & CarPlay if I am an Android user ) and add quick lauch buttoms for what I really do want
and for when hanging around charging
  1. Netflix
  2. Amazon Prime Video
also Generally having a far better split screen experience on a larger screen for Spotify and maps.

My conclusion after several years being able to run native Android and Android auto on the same head unit I have found the Native android is quicker, easier and more flexible. Updates are far quicker too

New headunits are generally better resolution, faster procesessors even possibly larger screen too.

I am not convinced that would void a warrenty if installed properly, otherwise there would not be a market for any such device.

I guess I will just wait for the india market to demonstrate on working, just like they already have for the older model.
All that is easily achieved with a simple Wireless CarPlay dongle for not much money and no tearing your car apart.

CarlinKit Ai box Android System support wireless CarPlay /wireless Android Auto,4+64G, Snapdragon chip, 8-core processor, Dual Bluetooth, support Google Play, YouTube

Amazon product ASIN B09GXRV8SN
I will let you know what it is like as I have got one. Haven’t been able to install it yet as I am isolating with the dreaded CV-19.

After market head units are for old cars that don’t have the tech found in modern cars. Ripping out your head unit and replacing it with an after market unit will almost certainly void any warranty you have.

Last edited:
oh, £324.99. I dont think so! That is not "not much money".?

The car has Android Auto and CarPlay built in anyway. It looks like that box is spoofs android auto into a receiver for screen mirror, then acts as the main device to deliver that image.
Yes that will work, but if doing that you may as well just use an old android phone which can be made to do the same thing

I have no interest in wireless Android auto. When GPS is running drain on phone battery is high. QI charging is generally far slower that a wire. My phone doesnt suport it anyway. There is a handy socket to just plug it in and that will give wired Android Auto ( which is quicker than Wireless in responding ) and charge the battery simutaniously.
I know that works, I just dont like the experience

I think we will just disagree. Thats the benefit of choice. Thanks for the idea though. Always good to challenge thinking with alternative approaches

All that is easily achieved with a simple Wireless CarPlay dongle for not much money and no tearing your car apart.

CarlinKit Ai box Android System support wireless CarPlay /wireless Android Auto,4+64G, Snapdragon chip, 8-core processor, Dual Bluetooth, support Google Play, YouTube

Amazon product ASIN B09GXRV8SN
I will let you know what it is like as I have got one. Haven’t been able to install it yet as I am isolating with the dreaded CV-19.

The car has Android Auto and CarPlay built in anyway. It looks like that box is spoofs android auto into a receiver for screen mirror, then acts as the main device to deliver that image.
Yes that will work, but if doing that you may as well just use an old android phone which can be made to do the same thing

I have no interest in wireless Android auto. When GPS is running drain on phone battery is high. QI charging is generally far slower that a wire. My phone doesnt suport it anyway. There is a handy socket to just plug it in and that will give wired Android Auto ( which is quicker than Wireless in responding ) and charge the battery simutaniously.

I think we will just disagree. Thats the benefit of choice. Thanks for the idea though. Always good to challenge thinking with alternative approaches
The device is an Android device. It piggybacks CarPlay and Android Auto on the top. It has its own SIM as well. Runs native Android. Doesn’t need a phone for SatNav, phone calls etc..

You have a phone that doesn’t support wireless charging, must be a really old phone :)

Video here…

Yep, agree to disagree :)

Last edited:

Installing an after market HU will not be possible. The car controls are built into MG HU's software which will not be available with after market HUs. After market HU cannot connect to MG cloud services which enable iSMART.
If native android HU is of priority better look at purchasing Polestar, Renault Mégane E Tech. There may be more examples.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom