And yet more to come watch out Tesla

These Chinese ev manufacturers must be causing sleepless nights amongst the legacy car manufacturers CEO's, I wonder how many of the legacy manufacturers will survive as we know them today because it's going to be a tall order to compete with the Chinese on price point & quality!. With all the emission mandates in the EU/UK they're going to reign supreme here if the laggard manufacturers don't come out with lower priced BEV's for mass adoption.

it's going to be a tall order to compete with the Chinese on price point
Is it? Unless MG offer some good deals next year they are going to price themselves into a competitive area. I wouldn't have even considered an electric car with the new pricing and lack of government grant. The others could easily end up in the same position.

IMO the real winner will be the company that cracks the battery price issue.

The government grant is a bit of a red herring though. 'We' think we're getting a discount but in reality the grant comes off the RRP of the car which in normal circumstances would never be the actual price we'd pay. The winners are the manufacturers who get an inflated price for their cars at our (taxpayers) expense.

The government grant is a bit of a red herring though.
Agreed. And I think we will see the effect of this next year through increased discounts. The Chinese cars will still have to stand out on price to get their foot in the door. I am not convinced MG has come far enough to be increasing their prices so significantly. Next year will certainly be an interesting one for all brands.

Agreed. And I think we will see the effect of this next year through increased discounts. The Chinese cars will still have to stand out on price to get their foot in the door. I am not convinced MG has come far enough to be increasing their prices so significantly. Next year will certainly be an interesting one for all brands.
That's why I'm thinking of holding off a ZS Trophy for the time being. Suddenly doesn't seem to be a competitive option now.

Across the board battery prices have come down some way in the last few of years but we haven't seen the same fall in prices of new cars on the forecourt. Admittedly there are some factors working against price falls, most notably the shortage of chips stifling supply of new cars, but it'll be interesting if there are comparative falls once production of chips then new cars become available again.

Looking at the price of new ICE cars, it looks like prices are going up to meet EVs in terms of pricing rather than the price of EVs falling to achieve price equilibrium.

Don't discount certain nations/markets putting hefty tariffs, for protectionist or political reasons, on Chinese imports either.

I do wonder more generally about China's economic plans. They seem to be gaining footholds in lots of countries in lots of industries, perhaps this is part of their bigger plans and economic dominance. I see concern have been raised about this. That said, as just an ordinary bloke, I do like the look of those models.

China aren't stupid. You can't win wars with no money, hence why they don't get involved yet, but when they do god help us, we won't stand a chance.

As for cars, MG won't survive in the UK unless they remain much cheaper than other well know brands. Most people stick to what they know unfortunately.

Also previously there weren't many EV's around so they could charge a premium and MG did well out of this as they were cheap so got peoples attention. But now with the new ZS they aren't, and next year they're going to have to drop their prices because people will pay another 5k or so for other brands. I only went for MG because of the affinity deals and got grants.

China aren't stupid. You can't win wars with no money, hence why they don't get involved yet, but when they do god help us, we won't stand a chance.

As for cars, MG won't survive in the UK unless they remain much cheaper than other well know brands. Most people stick to what they know unfortunately.

Also previously there weren't many EV's around so they could charge a premium and MG did well out of this as they were cheap so got peoples attention. But now with the new ZS they aren't, and next year they're going to have to drop their prices because people will pay another 5k or so for other brands. I only went for MG because of the affinity deals and got grants.
I agree, I test drove a few EVs and as a low mileage user I find it had to part with £40k to £50k, after driving the ZS and with discounts etc under 30k no brainer, but now with no Gov grant on the Trophy I think MG will struggle to sell, I also would have looked elsewhere, still might be as not heard from dealer I ordered Dec 5th, his last word was he had not applied for the grant as he never had a eta for car, as I replied that's not my problem 🤷‍♂️

For a new kid to be successful he needs to sing a better song or do a better dance or both. None of us would be buying MGs if they cost the same as a Kia, Hyundai etc. I am in a MG because it offers more for less.
It is good for legacy manufacturers to get little frights from time to time. It keeps the market fresh and moving. However, correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think NIO is set to come to the UK yet. Matter of time perhaps. I don’t think Tesla will be sweating much as they are the market and innovation leaders, yes they have problems but their products and infra structure just works without any hassle. Unless they drop the ball, they will have a good market share.

Will be interesting to see how things with the Giga Berlin work out for Tesla. Given the price hikes for MG supposedly being caused by increased shipping costs it makes you wonder if building in China still makes sense for MG. I saw that MG India want to start exporting. Might be a happy medium.

For a new kid to be successful he needs to sing a better song or do a better dance or both. None of us would be buying MGs if they cost the same as a Kia, Hyundai etc. I am in a MG because it offers more for less.
It is good for legacy manufacturers to get little frights from time to time. It keeps the market fresh and moving. However, correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think NIO is set to come to the UK yet. Matter of time perhaps. I don’t think Tesla will be sweating much as they are the market and innovation leaders, yes they have problems but their products and infra structure just works without any hassle. Unless they drop the ball, they will have a good market share.
I agree - Tesla’s USP is their technology integration such that charging seems effortless - the amount of planing needed for this journey (or any journey needing 1+ charge) in other brands becomes a challenge - this is where all other brands need to catch up.

I agree - Tesla’s USP is their technology integration such that charging seems effortless - the amount of planing needed for this journey (or any journey needing 1+ charge) in other brands becomes a challenge - this is where all other brands need to catch up.

Comes down to the individual's use case.

How many times is James going to be doing that sort of journey?

Struck me that if he needed coffee to stay awake then he shouldn't have been driving tbh.

Comes down to the individual's use case.

How many times is James going to be doing that sort of journey?

Struck me that if he needed coffee to stay awake then he shouldn't have been driving tbh.
Totally - but being dynamically autorouted to an available charger based on actual usage of the car rather than pre-planning using ZapMap or ABRP (or even paying subscription and getting ODBII adapter to sort of achieve this) makes long journeys a much simpler prospect.

It wouldn’t add much value to me as I only do journey that need a charge a few times a year - but I can appreciate the value of this. Just not a £20k increase in value over my MG5 🤷‍♂️

James did make a good point when he said :-
“If you want to make a LOT of long journeys like this in an EV, then a Tesla is the way to go”.
If your usage case demands these types of trips, then I have to totally agree with him.
The cars inbuilt ability to plan out the route accurately and the brilliant charging infrastructure is what sets a Tesla apart from other EV manufactures.
And I think it will be a long time before it is close to being rivalled.

The fun will start for Tesla drivers when Tesla opens up the supercharger network to other EVs. They won't have the exclusivity they enjoy now and could find themselves routed to charger hub full all types of EV queueing to get a charge.
I think it’s going to be vital for Tesla to open up quieter sites for other EVs first and keep the saturated sites closed to their own cars only until additional investment can be made. If they open every site to every EV, I suspect they’ll destroy the reason people are willing to pay the premium.

The fun will start for Tesla drivers when Tesla opens up the supercharger network to other EVs. They won't have the exclusivity they enjoy now and could find themselves routed to charger hub full all types of EV queueing to get a charge.
Although I agree, I somehow think that when Tesla start to open up their charging stations to other EV’s it will be a slow drip feed thing.
I just can’t see them opening every charger across the country simultaneously somehow ?.
Their onboard planning / routing system is the best there is also in my mind.
Oh ….. I don’t own a Tesla by the way.
They make EV’s and a charging infrastructure to support them, nobody else does this !.

Although I agree, I somehow think that when Tesla start to open up their charging stations to other EV’s it will be a slow drip feed thing.
I just can’t see them opening every charger across the country simultaneously somehow ?.
Their onboard planning / routing system is the best there is also in my mind.
Oh ….. I don’t own a Tesla by the way.
They make EV’s and a charging infrastructure to support them, nobody else does this !.
It’s a model similar to Apple - whether you love or hate these companies, there is no denying that owning the entire ecosystem (when implemented properly) allows a level of integration and optimisation which isn’t available to third party companies.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom