Another Earth and V2L question

Pubquiz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All...Another V2L and Earth question ....I have just read the long thread from March with some interesting reading but couldn't find the answer to this specific question.

Lat year I put 2 vids on my youtube channel "Tom's Man Shed"...the 1st one using the V2L adapter from Ebay for things like mowing the lawn etc.

The 2nd vid was on using the V2L to power my man shed (2kw max load) via a heavy duty changeover switch in the garage and adding a better quality type 2 plug to the lead and fitting the correct internal resistor etc.

I have just been asked in a comment though re the earth.

I have connected the all the earths together via the earth "bus" connected in the change over switch and all works brilliantly and has done for a year....see pics of inside changeover switch and new type 2 plug fitted.

What the person who has made the comment says though is that he thinks that while I am running the shed from the car (V2L) it's earth should be connected to it's own earthing rod and not the house earth..

It's easier if I just cut and paste the comment below.....

"I'm curious about the earthing connection on your switch. I might be wrong, but my understanding is that during a power cut you need to be connected to your own earth rod instead of the grid earth. This is to ensure proper earthing protection during a power cut as well as protecting workers working on the grid."

Am curious as to what the answer is....if it should be on its own earthing rod (like my ohme charger is) I could soon fit one and wire the house earth and car earth to a changeover switch as well to be used when/if there is a power cut.

I know you guys will have the answer and didn't want to post a reply till I knew what the proper answer was.
EARTH.jpg

Attachments

• PLUG.jpg
    PLUG.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 53
If you use V2L then it should have an earth island. It is the same for an invertor UPS backup socket.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom