Any way to stop ZS EV resetting everything

Hero9989

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
My new ZS EV arrived a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving the range but the software seems largely basic and in some parts just really badly thought out. Most of them I can get past but the settings reset is downright infuriating.

It doing things like resetting the KERS level back to 3 and driving mode to normal (I use eco) is annoying but I can live with it: you just have to flick one switch on the centre console when you get in.

I discovered quite quickly though that the adaptive cruise control doesn't make use of KERS at all. It uses the brakes alone and in turn makes the car much less than efficient. The speed limiter however; if you keep your foot on the accelerator it uses KERS to make sure you don't go over the set limit. Enabling this is annoyingly difficult though. Not only do you have to flick the cruise control stick to the furthest away position. You have to swipe to the second Home Screen, tap Vehicle, tap on MG Pilot, scroll the right list to and tap on the bottom option, then tap on speed limiter and set to manual or ISA. This buried setting resets back to 'Off' every time you turn on the car; if you think you might want to use speed limiter at all on your travels you have to do this before you drive off because it's downright unsafe to do it whilst driving. I can't for the life of me think why this is the case. There is an easy to access stalk which can turn it on/off; just like cruise control. However because this setting resets every time. The stalk is useless.

Sorry for the mini rant but there is a question in there too; is there any way to stop this resetting behaviour? Is it a bug I can expect to be fixed or was it there on the old ZS EV too?

My main gripe is that I wish some of the auto journalists would pick up stuff like this when they go over the car. I honestly don't care too much how it looks as I can see that from pictures. What I want to know is: "What is going to annoy me?". I knew about AAC not using KERS (the MG5 facelift does use it btw) but not about it forgetting the basics as you mention.

I don't expect any updates to fix this really. Ultimately we all know we have bought a budget EV and you get what you pay for. If I could stretch to 10k extra it would be Tesla all the way but then I would be complaining about lack of Android Auto or something else.

If I could stretch to 10k extra it would be Tesla all the way but then I would be complaining about lack of Android Auto or something else.
Everybody will be different of course.
I always used my previous ZS EV in the default modes for two years and 20,000 miles a found it okay 👍.
Have done like wise with our Trophy 🏆 LR for 14 months and another 12,000 miles and found that okay for my needs.
Yes - I could moan about the fact that the Regen on the Gen 2 is a lot weaker, in the strongest setting and that the original model, with the BMS update ( because it was ).
But it has the added advantage that it keeps the brake discs clear of rust due to extra foot brake action.
I totally agree, the ZS EV could be viewed as as an entry level budget EV for sure.
But we have to take into account that some people would love to go EV but do not have sufficient budgets to do so, even at this price point.
Electric cars ARE expensive period, so even being asked, mid thirty grand for a car, is likely to be dismissed instantly.
To this end, I do count myself lucky that I can even afford an entry level EV !.
Could the ZS EV be improved / better, of course it could !.
But I am 100.% we could spend a lot more money on a more expensive EV and we would still have some issues and gripes to moan about.
In essence, basically they both do the same job.
But a more expensive EV at twice or three times the price, just has to do things to a better standard and quality.
Mainly you get what you pay for, I guess.
Buy what need and not what you want !.
The perfect car has not been built yet.

Last edited:
My main gripe is that I wish some of the auto journalists would pick up stuff like this when they go over the car. I honestly don't care too much how it looks as I can see that from pictures. What I want to know is: "What is going to annoy me?". I knew about AAC not using KERS (the MG5 facelift does use it btw) but not about it forgetting the basics as you mention.

I don't expect any updates to fix this really. Ultimately we all know we have bought a budget EV and you get what you pay for. If I could stretch to 10k extra it would be Tesla all the way but then I would be complaining about lack of Android Auto or something else.
TeslaBjorn's your man for that level of detail.

I totally agree that it would be helpful for reviewers to tell us more about the potentially annoying things. Much as I love the car, I have some gripes of my own that I will post elsewhere. Some apparently "hi-tech" features are much less useful if they are poorly implemented. A lot of these things are software based so could be easily addressed by firmware upgrades. I don't think being a "budget" car is a very good excuse and don't understand why they would not fix things to make the car better when it could be done at relatively small cost.

Last edited:
I guess safety is more important with KERS or regen. High tech is complicated. Simple ACC with brake would be more reliable. You can alway cancel ACC with full manual speed control for regen if you see cars are slowing.

I totally agree that it would be helpful for reviewers to tell us more about the potentially annoying things. Much as I love the car, I have some gripes of my own that I will post elsewhere. Some apparently "hi-tech" features are much less useful if they are poorly implemented. A lot of these things are software based so could be easily addressed by firmware upgrades. I don't think being a "budget" car is a very good excuse and don't understand why they would not fix things to make the car better when it could be done at relatively small cost.
I watched a lot of long term YouTube videos before getting the car (had a lot of chances in the 16 month wait for the car to arrive!) and none of them mentioned my bug bears. Makes no sense!

I agree being budget isn't an excuse. Though it does seem to be quite a big separator. Tesla is definitely one of the seemingly most premium EV brands out there and you get constant updates for it. They leave things out that people want (Apple car play / android auto being prime example) but they do that out of choice, not out of 'sorry no budget to add that'

My literal biggest bug bear is that some settings it just doesn't remember. It remembers that I want dynamic lines on my parking cameras but not that I want to use manual speed assist when I flick the cruise control stick off. Seems like a very simple change, actually seems like a bug that it remembers some settings but not all. Just annoying that the 'bug' lasted the facelift refresh

Just annoying that the 'bug' lasted the facelift refresh
Of course this is very true, it is a shame that some of “issues” did not get addressed in the facelift model.
But the “wish list” on the facelift is a LOT shorter than the list on the original model, that’s for sure.
I do recall that when the original model was about 6 months old, Miles and a few others sat down and penned a list of what could be done to help improve the car even further.
I think Miles said they had a couple of sheets of paper full of suggestions.
Some of these did get picked up in time for the facelift, but not all of course.
To us they probably luck like quick easy fixes, but I guess the list was compressed into some items that could be achieved in the time scale available ?.
Some made it, some did not 🤷‍♂️.

My new ZS EV arrived a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving the range but the software seems largely basic and in some parts just really badly thought out. Most of them I can get past but the settings reset is downright infuriating.

It doing things like resetting the KERS level back to 3 and driving mode to normal (I use eco) is annoying but I can live with it: you just have to flick one switch on the centre console when you get in.

I discovered quite quickly though that the adaptive cruise control doesn't make use of KERS at all. It uses the brakes alone and in turn makes the car much less than efficient. The speed limiter however; if you keep your foot on the accelerator it uses KERS to make sure you don't go over the set limit. Enabling this is annoyingly difficult though. Not only do you have to flick the cruise control stick to the furthest away position. You have to swipe to the second Home Screen, tap Vehicle, tap on MG Pilot, scroll the right list to and tap on the bottom option, then tap on speed limiter and set to manual or ISA. This buried setting resets back to 'Off' every time you turn on the car; if you think you might want to use speed limiter at all on your travels you have to do this before you drive off because it's downright unsafe to do it whilst driving. I can't for the life of me think why this is the case. There is an easy to access stalk which can turn it on/off; just like cruise control. However because this setting resets every time. The stalk is useless.

Sorry for the mini rant but there is a question in there too; is there any way to stop this resetting behaviour? Is it a bug I can expect to be fixed or was it there on the old ZS EV too?

I started to have this reset to default values on MG pilot after they upgraded my firmware during annual maintenance. It was ok before.

You get used to it.

I was fussy when I first got it and would constantly change everything. Now I just turn it on and drive it the way it is. Normal, Kers3, whatever, no wuckin forries (y)

I mean, considering that you have to use your hands/fingers to press the start button, move the FNR knob, use the indicators, cruise control, etc etc, it's really not a BIG DEAL is it??

Last edited:
ZS EV is a budget car but I think represents excellent value for money. I bought a Gen 1, 25000 miles, for £15,000.
I set the ACC to the speed limit and just let the car do all the speeding up and slowing down. Apart from in the centre of a town or city, or a traffic jam, I rarely touch the brake or accelerator.
Best of all with my Ohme wall charger and Octopus Intelligent Go, I charge up once or twice a week, and 100 miles costs me £2.
What’s not to like?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom