Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
A brief synopsis.....

Travelling along a NSL road in my new Volvo V70 with less than 2000 miles on the clock.

A car pulls out of a junction (without looking) to go into a yard.
(That's the entrance just behind where my car came to rest)

20240129_142959.jpg

I was doing easily circa 60mph approaching the junction.

20240129_143336.jpg

The car was right in my path as I approached and If I hadn't of swerved to the right, whilst hard on the brakes, I would have hit it side on, no doubt wiping out the driver and injuring everyone else.

New Volvo versus 10 year old eurobox made of "spit und kleenex"
Only one winner.

20240129_143836.jpg

20240129_144153.jpg

Those are the people I "didn't hit"
I was in the car with my wife, young daughter and my pup.
Shook up, but no serious injuries.

20240129_144646.jpg

There was barely a mark on their car.
If you look at my passenger door, you can see where contact was made.

20240129_145133.jpg

Long story short.
She was prosecuted for driving without due care.
My car was repaired but was never right.
It also dropped all its coolant in the accident, warping the head.

We got it back months later.
First trip was on holiday to France.
We never made it as it blew its head gasket before I'd even made it to the M4.

Numerous faults, knocking and clunking, paint defects, terrible.
And all from a Volvo approved workshop.

Got shot of it for another new one.(at a huge loss)
It took over two years to get some compo and my insurance excess back!!!

I found these pictures whilst looking for other pictures of my old E63 AMG Mercedes estate for @salty s thread and thought they may be of interest.

How Old? (Yeah 2000 I know)
I was referring to the "one blue tit" on top of the panda car!🤣🤣🤣

Wow! You definitely ditched that. Everyone ok, so that was great. Would it have been worse in a lesser car do you think? As opposed to the Volvo. As in supposedly built like a tank. 🙂

Wow! You definitely ditched that. Everyone ok, so that was great. Would it have been worse in a lesser car do you think? As opposed to the Volvo. As in supposedly built like a tank. 🙂

Definitely.

We are going back 24 years so, think back a bit and remember cars like a Fiat Panda.
You would not want to be hit by a wet bag of lettuce in one of those back in the day.

I see things now like Toyota Aygo as an example.
Would you want to be rear ended sat in the back of it?
Not Bloody Likely!

Someone crashed into me:

1706542307175.png

NSL road and I'm slowing down because traffic in front had slowed as some were taking the exit left off the road. I'm down to about 10 mph when someone hammered into the back of me doing about 50+ mph. (She said she went to brake but hit the accelerator instead).

To cap it all off ... it was our 30th wedding anniversary and we were off for a couple of days away - we got transported by taxi to the destination [after sorting all the insurance stuff out] but the replacement hire car arrived on the morning of our departure from the vacation. Our dog was on the back seat, secured to his harness with a bungee strap fixed to a seatbelt holder - he ended up on the floor behind my driver's seat but was otherwise unharmed; this is why I would never carry a pet in the boot.

That Volvo story reminds me of something that happened to a colleague of mine. Sussex people may remember the A23 junction near Pyecombe north of Brighton, where the road from Henfield joined in a T junction. This was always dangerous, as you had to come out of the junction on to the main dual carriageway in the face of traffic absolutely tanking on the main road. Visibility to your right was poor due to a bend or a crest (can't remember which), so you felt as if you were taking your life in your hands sometimes. Fortunately it was possible to cross the northbound carriageway and find refuge in the central reservation to wait for a gap in the southbound traffic, if you were turning right.

That junction has long since been replaced by a fancy overpass, and this incident happened when they had started to build the overpass. Due to the construction works the A23 had been narrowed and it was no longer possible to stop in the middle. A right turn had to be done on a oner.

My colleague was heading from Partridge Green to Brighton for scheduled carpal tunnel surgery. He thought he was clear both ways, but as he pulled out a speeding heavy lorry heading north on the A23 smashed into him on the driver's side.

He was driving one of these Volvos.

He was blue-lighted to A&E and then the orthopaedic department at Hayward's Heath, where they put him back together. The surgeon and everybody else said that if he hadn't been in that Volvo tank he would have been killed. Even so, it precipitated the retirement he had been vaguely thinking about.

There was an amusing follow-up. While recovering in Hayward's Heath, my colleague was getting a bit of exercise with a stick, walking in a corridor. There he suddenly encountered the surgeon who had been due to perform the carpal tunnel op on the fateful day (who also worked at Hayward's Heath sometimes). The surgeon turned as white as a sheet and nearly passed out. Turned out he had been told that his patient had been killed in a car crash on his way to Brighton.

Some grumbling from patient about why hadn't they fixed his wrist while they were about it and had him in the operating theatre anyway. Well, they said, we didn't think it was worth the trouble because we didn't expect you to survive!

Someone crashed into me:

View attachment 23373

NSL road and I'm slowing down because traffic in front had slowed as some were taking the exit left off the road. I'm down to about 10 mph when someone hammered into the back of me doing about 50+ mph. (She said she went to brake but hit the accelerator instead).

To cap it all off ... it was our 30th wedding anniversary and we were off for a couple of days away - we got transported by taxi to the destination [after sorting all the insurance stuff out] but the replacement hire car arrived on the morning of our departure from the vacation. Our dog was on the back seat, secured to his harness with a bungee strap fixed to a seatbelt holder - he ended up on the floor behind my driver's seat but was otherwise unharmed; this is why I would never carry a pet in the boot.

Twas always one of my biggest fears.
To be rear ended with my best mate in the back.

20181206_103919.jpg

The pictures of my GTi that I sent to the insurance company after the BMW drove into me were (thankfully) lost when my last phone died on me (while talking to an Ionity charger).

I don't think I have any photos of my Peugeot when I drove it into the back of someone who stopped very suddenly after appearing to be going to join a roundabout. Happens. Someone rear-ended me in one of my Fiestas in the same situation. The difference being that I didn't pretend to have whiplash afterwards. (The Peugeot's air bags didn't deploy, and the cat was still sitting in his basket on the passenger seat, unrestrained and unperturbed.)

I don't have a picture either of the mess when someone decided to overtake my Fiesta as I was turning right in a country lane. Lying bitch was initially all apologies but then told her insurance company I hadn't indicated. I had, but even if I hadn't, the manoevre was crazy.

20231128_151552.jpg

A Mitsubishi "tank" went into the back of the Batt Mobile mid November. Parts on back order arrived last week. Should get it back on Friday. We were in a queue of traffic and apparently her foot slipped, although on the video, the truck accelerated into the back of us with no attempt to brake.

If we're trading old collision pics, can anyone go back further than this?
My Hillman Hunter after it was rear ended in 1979.
Hunter.jpg

If we're trading old collision pics, can anyone go back further than this?
My Hillman Hunter after it was rear ended in 1979.
View attachment 23376
L reg 1972? you did well to get the cills to last that long :) with the rear facing fuel filler could have been a Hollywood moment. Never mind the car look at those beautiful 70s beige houses .

5 car pile up in the outside lane of the M5 Birmingham, Feb 2000.
I got rear ended by a Peugeot 405 estate driven by a doctor with his family in his car. It was estimated (by the police) that he was doing 90+. I got shoved into the car in front which went right scraping the central reservation and past the next car which I also hit (my bonnet badge was stuck to his bumper), that car went into the next.

My only injury was a friction burn on my left shoulder from the front passenger seat.
Weirdest thing is the silence after the chaos and the 'swishing' sound of the traffic slowly going past.
As I sat there wondering what the hell had just happened, 'smoke' started coming out under the dashboard...I nearly s*** myself trying to get out but the door was stuck, but did finally open.
[Edit]...The smoke turned out to be steam from the radiator.....still scared me though.

car1.jpg car2.jpg car3.jpg car4.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago an artic decided to remodel the front of my MG5. The lease co. still haven't decided where to send it and who's going to pay. Thankfully it's a company car so it won't be me either way.

Well, we had our lovely new MG4 for 8 months then someone in a van decided to drive in to the back of us. I will say the fireman said the car was well built and most cars would not have survived, and it might have been a very different outcome.

Attachments

• IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 83
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom