Anyone have feedback on new solar panel solutions?

D

Deleted member 3150

I am about to commit to a solar solution. I would be really like some feedback from anyone who has a fairly new solution using up to date tech. The system uses Vertex S panels.

Apologies, there is a lot of info here but I know there are some enthusiasts out there………..
  • 18 panel system (reasonably hefty for a house) would sit jointly on the roofs of the log store and new shed – they have ridged metal roofing which makes an easy fit.
  • The main roof of the house has Cambrian interlocking tiles which would make it an expensive nightmare to fit, hence the outbuildings.
  • The system should generate 5160 kWh per annum.
  • General rule is household uses 50%?
  • I work from home and can use the electricity during the day.
  • We have an electric car and the charger is smart and can be utilised to trickle charge the battery – no need to buy a battery as we have a huge one sat on the drive.
  • I would spend £525 on the immersion control to use any further surplus power to heat the hot water (currently heated by oil).
  • Electricity is currently 20.57p per kWh, rising to circa 27p in April – and who knows after that when World War III starts and the Russians turn off the gas.
  • I can sell back surplus power- Octopus is offering 7.5p per kWh (I would move to Octopus from Scottish Power)
I have calculated the savings of using our own power to be:

50% of 5160 = 2580 @ 20.57p = £530 per annum is this realistic?

50% of 5160 = 2580 @ 27p = £696 per annum is this realistic?

We may be able to use more than 50%, of course?

Plus saving approx. £200 a year on heating oil for the hot water (complete guess). is this realistic?

And £193 per annum of selling back spare power (2580 x 7.5p). is this realistic?

Therefore, with a following wind and plenty of sun, I reckon we could benefit to the tune of approx. £1,000 per annum, paying it all back in 9 years. The system should last 25 years. is this realistic?

We installed a 3.65 kW optimised LG/Solaredge system late last May. It's far exceeded my expectations producing 2.82MWk in 2021. Despite working from home (engineering workshop) and having the MG5 we exported 1.39MWh, a situation we intend to address with a battery. We have only covered 2000 miles since July so car doesn't have a big impact though those miles have cost less than £25, over £20 of that on 2 X 360 mile trips using rapid chargers!

We installed a 3.65 kW optimised LG/Solaredge system late last May. It's far exceeded my expectations producing 2.82MWk in 2021. Despite working from home (engineering workshop) and having the MG5 we exported 1.39MWh, a situation we intend to address with a battery. We have only covered 2000 miles since July so car doesn't have a big impact though those miles have cost less than £25, over £20 of that on 2 X 360 mile trips using rapid chargers!
Thanks for your feedback, much apreciated

Hope these posts help:

Also this from the same thread - Home Storage Battery

I halved my grid draw from 6650 to 3200 kw. I generate 6500 kw pa

I use most of the power generated for the house, or via Zappi & Eddi.

Being on FiT & deemed export, an export rate wouldn't work for me.

Hi,

I have a 4.75kw solar edge system with a Tesla powerwall. It's proving very good, installed late 2019. 2020 was my first full year and wasn't considered a very good year for solar generation but it still made a big dent in my power bills.

Make sure you choose a good installer, not just someone offering a cheap deal as it's a long term investment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-162110.png
    Screenshot_20220303-162110.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 133
If you can afford Tesla Powerwall, then thats amazing. I am told that if you moved home, you can take it with you. With the others, am not sure if you can move it around.

If you can afford Tesla Powerwall, then thats amazing. I am told that if you moved home, you can take it with you. With the others, am not sure if you can move it around.
Moving the roof mounted solar panels might be an issue. The rest of it a good electrician will be able to move.

I moved six years ago leaving a 4kw system for the next owner.
Nobody seemed to appreciate what a cash cow the installation was then.
On top of free electric during the day I was getting circa £2k per annum (index linked) tax free from subsidies.
People viewing the property just thought you were either mad or telling porkies when you tried to explain the benefits.

One downside was it was on the front of the house.

But the worst problem was pigeons, a flock moved in causing one hell of a row in the morning and one hell of a mess on the roof.
I managed to block access which stopped them for a while but I understand the buggers have broken back in.
Unwanted Bird nesting doesn't seem to be a problem on the south coast but the experience put us off.

I have 40 solar panels running through an inverter that limits the generation to a max of 5.5kw. It's been running for the last 7 years.
Initially it reduced my electricity bills to one third. I don't own the panels, it's a rent-a-roof set up so I don't get any payments just savings.
I've just installed a Zappi charger and set it up in the sunshine today. 4.3kw was the best solar generation I saw today which dropped to less than 1kw when small clouds covered the sun briefly. House was running 200w at a minimum with tv laptops etc on standby so all of the difference was and is always exported.
So our home is crying out for an ev and we expect delivery of our MG ZS LR in late April.
I've never tried to use the surplus solar to hear the water as it only tales half hour twice a day from the oil boiler to do that.
IMG_20220305_151337.jpg

I have 40 solar panels running through an inverter that limits the generation to a max of 5.5kw. It's been running for the last 7 years.
Initially it reduced my electricity bills to one third. I don't own the panels, it's a rent-a-roof set up so I don't get any payments just savings.
I've just installed a Zappi charger and set it up in the sunshine today. 4.3kw was the best solar generation I saw today which dropped to less than 1kw when small clouds covered the sun briefly. House was running 200w at a minimum with tv laptops etc on standby so all of the difference was and is always exported.
So our home is crying out for an ev and we expect delivery of our MG ZS LR in late April.
I've never tried to use the surplus solar to hear the water as it only tales half hour twice a day from the oil boiler to do that. View attachment 7299
Thanks for your feedback. Are you heating property with oil too or just water?

I've never tried to use the surplus solar to hear the water as it only tales half hour twice a day from the oil boiler to do that. View attachment 7299
Imagine not needing the oil boiler for a third of the year with Eddi.

Any advice?
I'm looking at 3 competing quotes for Solar (3.4 to 4.5 kW) PV and 7.2 to 9.6 battery storage. I'm on Octopus Go and all three of these quotes could do Octopus Go but when Agile becomes sensible again and offers plunge pricing I want a battery inverter that will be able to retrieve the Agile Tariff each day and determine the best times to charge and also block discharge times when I'm charging my car. Octopus now have a "Works with Agile" programme so why is it so difficult to find out who they are and how user friendly to make changes? Only LuxPower seem to be upfront about it but finding a local installer is so difficult I've actually been quoted for it by an installer 200+ miles away.

Good Evening

I have a GivEnergy system and that works with Octopus Agile. Not sure if that helps or not.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom