Anyone out there…swapping / selling their MG …..

Harry 17

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
……. for the purposes of buying the MGC?

Hoping it will be called the MGC and not the Cyberster here, on UK shores.

Pretty much torn here. I love my MG4, but have had a chat with OC Domestics and she who will be obeyed, has told me that we need a grandkid car, and if I am to get rid of my car, then when we both retire, we are to have a family car when whe gives up hers. This means I will need to sell my beautiful BMW Z3. She has a point, not rolling in it and simply do not have the garage space for two Roadsters.

So, dilemma is, get rid of MG4 and fully restored BMW Z3 (2.8), and get a Cyberster and another Lecky car for my good lady, or stick.

Side bar: - Unfortunately OC Domestic is not really keen on MG (Shock - Horror- Probe!!), so bugger lugs here is going to be in for a very expensive ‘do’ if I follow my heart and get the Cyberster.

Anyway, that is me. Was curious if any of you out there were seriously considering buying the Cyberster, and if you have similar issues Re: your Grand parent duties in ferrying snotty kids around :)

the current dropping off a cliff on second hand Lecky cars will be good for me in buying a main car for the family, but equally, gonna be pants when trying to offload my MG4 to part pay for a Cyberster. Strange times, and I always seem to be late to the party 🤣

Last edited:
It will be called the MGC in UK and Europe I think. The MG4 X Power is due soon. Although I don't have a current MG definitely considering the Cyberster. I have a charger. My current car has a £675 road tax. Im just wondering if there are new rules for EVs over £40,000.

Worth a test drive and rethink. Depends what features the car has. Im assuming the range will probably be in line with the MG4 X power (231 miles)

It will be called the MGC in UK and Europe I think. The MG4 X Power is due soon. Although I don't have a current MG definitely considering the Cyberster. I have a charger. My current car has a £675 road tax. Im just wondering if there are new rules for EVs over £40,000.

Worth a test drive and rethink. Depends what features the car has. Im assuming the range will probably be in line with the MG4 X power (231 miles)
The envy charge is coming back for EV cars over £40k. That £40k point will never be increased either.

Base model £40,000 still allows a £7000 profit margin according to reports. 39,999 avoids road tax premium for the base model
Isn’t this only until Apr25, at which point All EV’s will be levied with a £10 charge for the first year of registration and then subsequent years being levied with the standard Tarif VED (£165 or £180)?

Genuinely confused a little here.

Isn’t this only until Apr25, at which point All EV’s will be levied with a £10 charge for the first year of registration and then subsequent years being levied with the standard Tarif VED (£165 or £180)?

Genuinely confused a little here.
The changes as I understand them:
  • From 1st April 2025, Band A (£0) is abolished and all vehicles will pay VED.
  • Also from 1st April 2025, the expensive vehicle supplement will be chargeable on new EVs over £40,000 (same as for other fuel types), £355 additional supplementary VED for 5 years.
  • Benefit-in-kind rates for company car EVs will rise to 3% in 2025 and then 1% a year to 5% by 2027/28.

The VED rates will be
  • New EVs, Band B (£20) for first year then standard rate after this (£165).
  • EVs built between 1st April 2017 and 31st March 2025 will pay standard rate (£165).
  • EVs and low emissions vehicles built between 1st April 2001 and 31st March 2017 will move from Band A to Band B (£20).

All these rates are subject to review and potentially inflationary increases prior to 2025.

So most of us will be paying £165/yr, the same as other fuels.

Lol sounds about England. Funny. The loss from VED revenue Pizza £32 billion has been given back to the EV clan. TFL said on their site all vehicles will pay Congestion charge at some pointb in future. They should just fence of city of Westminster and let the rest of England crack on. ULEZ will eventually kill town centers and deservedly so.

£10 a year atm on a 2020 EV. As soon as they start charging £165 for VED can always go back to ICE and get a Porsche or something.

So Cyberster ownership 1-2 years 😉

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom