Anyone used the AA for car insurance in last few years?

AK OK

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
As per title.

They appear to be cheap enough to try & play ball with but I'm aware there are assorted dirty tricks in this market...

I've used them in the past but they've never been competitive in recent years.

I've just renewed with LV= for £203.
Car is MG5 SR.

Hmmm LV just tried to jack me by +20% at renewal. I know it's all swings & roundabouts really but hopeful the AA won't play silly beggars nearer commencement...

The AA were brilliant in sorting a dispute last year. See my reply to a post by alun26.
Thanks but I've looked in your posts on here & can't see anything about AA insurance or a dispute last year?
Could you point me to it please?

Hi AKOK,
It was in reply to Alun26's post regarding damage to his vehicle and advice regarding insurance procedure.
Briefly I advised him to inform his company, and quoted my experience when a driver accused me of damaging her vehicle which was untrue. An engineer was sent out to measure the position and take pictures of the extremely slight scrape to our vehicle, which was done months previously, with the consequence that our increase in premium was refunded and the alleged fault against me was dropped.

Thanks but I've looked in your posts on here & can't see anything about AA insurance or a dispute last year?
Could you point me to it please?
Sorry, forgot to mention we were and still are with the AA, who were very helpful throughout the whole sorry business, although I expect you've probably worked that out by now 🤭

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently insured with the AA, and have had no problem with them. Charging me £25 to change the car to the MG was a bit steep, but they all do that these days.

Not sure I follow the thread here. The AA are a broker so give you a choice of insurers. So long as you haggle each year you will find you can get the latest best deal. You can’t compare to LV as they agent for them, the year, through the AA LV were the best option. Saga have as yet never beaten AA when I get them bidding against each other and Go Compare limits your options. So to avoid hours of research I get my AA renewal each year, then test the market and if get a better price take it back to AA for them to better- Simples (sorry, could not resist)

Not sure I follow the thread here. The AA are a broker so give you a choice of insurers.

I don't recall being given a choice by the AA?

My quote happens to say "underwritten by AA Underwriters Inc" or somesuch.

So long as you haggle each year you will find you can get the latest best deal. You can’t compare to LV as they agent for them, the year, through the AA LV were the best option. Saga have as yet never beaten AA when I get them bidding against each other and Go Compare limits your options. So to avoid hours of research I get my AA renewal each year, then test the market and if get a better price take it back to AA for them to better- Simples (sorry, could not resist)

I do the "money saving expert" comparison thing, save quotes, do it again at "sweet spot" 20 odd days in advance, compare them, & take it from there. Takes an hour all told.

I have come to accept that in almost every case, I find it necessary to switch insurance companies almost every year now.
They all appear to offer very competitive prices for the first year, then hit you hard at the time of renewal.
I was with LV for the first year on the Gen1 ZS EV.
at the time of renewal, then tried to increase the policy by £85.
This was in the hight of C19 and with stiff restrictions on travel in Wales !.
Nice try LV - Switched to another company with the same level of cover for £90 less.
Only this week, we received a renewal notice for my wife's Fiat 500 with the RAC.
Again, a 40% increase over last year cost, resulting in a £90 increase this time.
I had plenty of time to shop around, but thought I would give them a call to see if they could improve on this renewal quote, before I started to shop around.
The guy on the phone said, no that's the best we can do sorry !.
He then went on to say, I shop around every year for MY car insurance, as prices WILL jump significantly, unless you switch !.
A quick 20 minute check through one of the comparison sites, found a quote through the A.A. for £100 cheaper than renewing with the RAC !.
Same level of cover without compromising on any features or details.
My motto is this :- Accept you will need to switch, or learn to be shafted on cost !.
They offer NO discounts for your loyalty, very much the opposite.
The same can be said for house insurance.
Cheap quote for the first year, then apply increases to regain the discount.
I also hate the "Auto Renewal" policy these companies are using now, unless you opt out - they will automatically make a request to your bank for payment.
Top Tip :- If you pay for your insurance via your bank card.
Then pay using a card with another person name on the card, so it does NOT match the main policy holders name.
This way, they can not apply for an auto renewal from that card, it has to done manually.
I have just discovered this when I paid for the renewal using MY bank card.
It was the advisor at the A.A. who explained this fact to me.
I am very happy with this situation to be honest.
Auto renewal is the insurance companies biggest friend !.
They write and inform you that your insurance is due renewal in about one months time.
You look at the price of the premium and promise to shop around to try and better it.
A couple of weeks latter and it has slipped your mind, next thing you know, it has auto renewed and your stuck with it for another year.
They love it !.

I use AA they gave me one of the best quotes for all three vehicles the MG5 was £201 inc pncb

I have come to accept that in almost every case, I find it necessary to switch insurance companies almost every year now.
They all appear to offer very competitive prices for the first year, then hit you hard at the time of renewal.
That is illegal now, they are not allowed to discriminate between new and old customers.

I agree, I always end up changing suppliers as they always increase prices. it mut cost the a lot of money in their admin but they are so stupid, these days its so easy to get a requote from other suppliers. as a matter of principal I never remain witha supplier even if they offer to match my new quote. The coment is polite if you offered a fair price at requote time you would have retained the business.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom